Author Topic: Malone Place Maternity Hospital  (Read 11379 times)

Carolb

Re: Malone Place Maternity Hospital
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »
Yes, all this information has been great. I had no idea there had been so much history recorded about the hospital. It's just a shame they didn't keep the old medical records  as I would have loved to known what time I was born and who the midwife was. Mind you, she would be long dead by now!!!
Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

tboy

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 09:17:47 PM »
after 'nationilaston' it was known as the 'Jubilee'    born there meself  1950 :D

johnwood

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »
I was born there in November 1946, I must have been an ugly wee soul, my ma took one look at me and gave me away. What did happen to babies like me surely they must have gone somewhere else before adoption. My adoption papers tell me I was adopted in 1948 where would I have stayed between November 46 and February 48. Also remember with the war and the American soldiers there must have been an increase in children up for adoption we could not all stay in No 1 Malone Place. 

WOODSY

Chattie

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
Wherever you were over that period, I can only imagine the surge of love and delight your adoptive parents felt when they saw you and realised you would be theirs.  No greater gift than a child.  I hope you have had a great life and good luck with finding out where you spent the missing months.

Carolb

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
That was a lovely thing to say Chattie. I'm not sure if Barnardos would have been operating in Belfast then. Might be worth contacting them. Their records should go quite far back. Also the church was very active in arranging adoptions. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I  can tell you that no baby was ever born ugly and no mother ever found it easy to give her baby away. Must have been very hard for her. Good luck with your search xx

Chattie

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »
Carol  you are quite right.  I'm sure no mother ever parted with a baby lightly.  Who can imagine the fear and despair of a probably very young woman caught in desperate circumstances at a time when society would have had no sympathy or empathy with her plight? 

Two friends of mine each adopted three children, and those six were all brought up in loving families.

Carolb

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
This is a whole new topic we could start. There must be a lot of people out there with that experience.

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
Malone Place today.

Carolb

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
Thanks for that Belfastbabe. Quite an imposing front door.  Those of us who were born there would have been brought home throughout that door.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

Carolb

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:37 PM »
Thanks for that Irish diva. I also tried to obtain my birth record but was told no records have been kept. It was an intriguing place it seems. I've always been fasinated by it for some reason.

boops

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
Hi ebb,Thanks for the photo,it brought back a very happy memory for me.                    In Jan.,1961,I actually entered that door with my baby son in my arms and came out with him again almost a fortnight later....I was booked in there for his birth but as they were refurbishing it and it wasn't quite finished,
  I was taken to the Jubilee to have him....two days after his birth all the new mothers and babies were taken to Malone Home by ambulance and we carried our wee bairns in,  and everything was so fresh  and new and the nurses were all lovely friendly girls. .but I never knew it had been used as anything other than a Maternity Hospital!!

AMHealy

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »

Does anyone know if this ''hospital'' was located at  24 Malone Place?
I have a birth record from 1904  that states the address 24 Malone Place and expect this became an adoption case

woodie

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 09:05:47 PM »
My second daughter was born there on 5 July 1963 on a wet Friday about 4.00 pm.
The bed was just under an open window and the I had rain spray on my face.
The mothers  were very friendly.  Once we had a "party" after visiting hours, sharing the items brought in by our visitors. 
I now live in Australia and only read the post by chance.  Sorry if it is late for publication.

rpelan

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 11:55:56 PM »

I'm just adding to some of the old Malone Place threads as it may be useful for contributors to know that a link to the document "Malone Place Hospital - a short history with notes" has been posted to the Belfast History & Memories subforum.