Author Topic: Sam McAughtry RIP  (Read 4268 times)

tboy

Sam McAughtry RIP
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »
 ' why do people not like me, is it because i'm English' ?  No it's because you come in the back door of McGlades bar shouting 'the favourite was bate' :D

jmac

Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

sj

Re: Sam McAughtry RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:29:23 AM »
Sam Mc Aughtry was an amazing man.  He came from Tigers Bay ( an area bounded by Limestone Rd, North Queen St , the Duncairn Gdns and Hallidays Rd and went to Mountcollyer school.  He didn't have any great education but many, many of his stories are amazingly good.  He describes his life in Tigers Bay and his families life in great detail.  Most of all he had a great gift of an open mind. 
I find two of his stories wonderful. .the one about the mutton dummies and the one about " A pound of steak for stuffing " where he mentions Joe O'Neill's butchers shop on the Duncairn Gdns ON THE FINAL PAGE.   Long may his memory live and be an example to us especially on the B.F and our attitudes and dealings with other people. .HE WAS ONE OF BELFAST'S GREAT SONS. ;) ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

bridge ender

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:01:24 AM »
Hi All
  another great character gone off the Belfast scene . Sam McAughtry was a down to earth working class person who was a great story teller. Sam McAughtry   RIP

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

sonofshanks

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
Another great Belfast man gone. A true down to earth character, who had a way with words. I well remember his efforts with the 'Peace Train'. RIP.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

McNamee

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »
Lovely lovely gentleman, I had the pleasure of meeting him once and he was great craic....He will be missed...A lovely human being.

flaxman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »
Always enjoyed listening to Sam when he was on TV, a great Belfast character RIP "oul hand" you will be sadly missed.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
Sad news indeed. I was talking to his neice yesterday and she was telling me stories of him. I was able to tell her one I heard and she laughed. He lived close to Gerry Fitt and as young boys, trying to earn a few bob they both had buckets to collect skins for the local pig men. Well apparently they started at opposite ends of an entry and met in the middle, both young boys thought the other was on their patch. They apparently knocked the living delights out of each other then lifted their buckets and  went on their way that was the end of the matter.  :)
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

billyh

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
Sam mc aughtry, lived almost facing our house in ardcarn estate dundonald, in the early 60's. His family then moved to cumberland park [or drive] a more "well off" area also in dundonald after that. He had a daughter elaine that did a bit of disco dancing, she was about the same age as me. Sam did stuff for the newtownards chronacle back then  R I P.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.

GandT

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
RIP Sam. Great stories in a wonderfully simplistic vein that is very, very difficult to effect. An authentic voice of times past - never depressing but never overly-sentimental either. Vocabulary, dialogue, setting, characters - I loved them all. Thank you, Sam and if you see Sam Thompson, James Ellis and Seamus Heaney up there - have a hell of a hooley!

Astor

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
RIP Sam. Great stories in a wonderfully simplistic vein that is very, very difficult to effect. An authentic voice of times past - never depressing but never overly-sentimental either. Vocabulary, dialogue, setting, characters - I loved them all. Thank you, Sam and if you see Sam Thompson, James Ellis and Seamus Heaney up there - have a hell of a hooley!

Love it, no doubt they will  :)
Que Sera Sera

RobRoy

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »

I once had a favourite teacher who was named Sam Thompson. He gave me my love of literature in all it's forms. Ballyclare High was his Circus Maximus. Yes, and I can add a few more who I hope will be there. Then, of course, there is yourself.!

Bigali

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
Sinking of the Kenbane Head and McAughtrys War great reads, we've lost another great  :(
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Daveyd

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »
A great storyteller, I enjoyed reading hisbooks more than once.

tboy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »
Nice.