Author Topic: RADIO ULSTER PROGRAMME - "On The Road" (The Cregagh)  (Read 2893 times)

rosiejane

RADIO ULSTER PROGRAMME - "On The Road" (The Cregagh)
« on: July 22, 2006, 01:10:31 PM »
This morning while driving and scanning the radio stations, I came across a BBC Radio Ulster programme about the Cregagh Road.  At the end it mentioned the programme was available to listen to again, online.  So having missed the first part, I have now listened to the programme in its entirety and I am sure others on the Forum would like to hear it too.  Here is the link:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/radioulster/programmepages/on_road.shtml#
So Ulsterstan in California, Bloomfield in British Columbia, IrishPost in Australia and many others ... enjoy hearing that accent again!

BLOOMFIELD

Re: RADIO ULSTER PROGRAMME - "On The Road" (The Cregagh)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 08:13:27 PM »
Hi there Rosie :)

I was just thinking about the local Radio in Belfast, does anyone remember the Disc Jockey "Hendy".

Real name was Michael Henderson, and he was in my class at  Strandtown.

If you look at the photos that I posted, he is in Miss Stitt's class photo.

Anybody recognize him ??
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

rosiejane

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:49:34 PM »
Yes, Bloomfield, Hendi is still around.  For years he did the v/o ('voice over' to those not au fait) for The Kelly Show on UTV.  Also various ads on tv and radio.  Now that UTV has got the franchaise for the new local Belfast radio station 105, Hendi is back as a presenter on Saturday afternoons.  You should be able to get it on line too.

'Downtown' is our favourite local radio station (Hendi was there for years) - www.downtown.co.uk.  There is even a slot for expats to talk to Candy Divine in her 'Hands across the Ocean' slot on Wednesdays!  Give it a listen.

My own memories of Hendi are at the Belfast Boat Club discos in the late 60's, where he introduced the groups and was DJ when they weren't playing.  Quite a character.

Will have to look at the photo more carefully and see if I can spot him.  Are you '4 Eyes; 8) ;D ;D ;D

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 02:18:30 AM »
Rosie

I very much doubt you will recognize me, no, I am not wearing glasses.

I did not need glasses until I reached puberty----They must have been correct when they told me  "it will make you go blind "  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We called him HENDY,   HENDI  sounds soooo effeminate and yuppy.  ;) ::)
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

ulsterstan

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 12:46:40 AM »
Dead on RosieJane I listen occasionally to some of the programmes , John Bennett was a pal in our wee gang ,he lived in Melrose Ave  couple of houses down from Woodcot Ave in those days.   
Stan Sloan.