Author Topic: Belfast's Old Ballrooms & Dance Halls  (Read 1611 times)

Undithered

Belfast's Old Ballrooms & Dance Halls
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »
Would anyone be able to help me with a couple of dates?
I'm trying to find out when the Fiesta in Hamilton Street was opened, along with the Orpheus in York Street. If anyone is also willing to share any stories about their time in the dance halls in the city centre (and the Floral Hall) I would love to hear them. I'm doing research into the halls and love to hear from those who would have used them, especially from the 30s to the 70s.
Thanks in advance!

chink

Re: Belfast's Old Ballrooms & Dance Halls
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
there are already a couple of threads on the site about dancehalls etc  in the search box at top of page put in relevant words   something is bound to come up that will help you   good luck

lilianmcdowell

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
don,t know the dates the dance hall opened but I dance in them early 60,s

walshman

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 06:15:17 AM »
Would anyone be able to help me with a couple of dates?
I'm trying to find out when the Fiesta in Hamilton Street was opened, along with the Orpheus in York Street. If anyone is also willing to share any stories about their time in the dance halls in the city centre (and the Floral Hall) I would love to hear them. I'm doing research into the halls and love to hear from those who would have used them, especially from the 30s to the 70s.
Thanks in advance!
Don't know the dates of their opening.
Did though go to them a lot from 62 to about 67.
As well there was the Plaza boom boom room,and i could go on.
Each though had it's best nights,once you knew them that's how you planned the week.
Cheap nights records,other nights live bands.
Boom Boom room free pass Wed it was dead,but some times o k.
Best night in the Boom boom room Little Richards,not much room to dance,but one i will remember all my life.
His minders could not get him off stage,and he was booked to go to a few other halls that night.
Anyway good luck with your writings

derdrei

Re: Primark..Fire.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:07:56 AM »
Iam so sorry to hear the orpheus has gone it was a lovely dance hall oh what a shame. many great times there  :( .

SIXTYNINER

Re: Re: Primark..Fire.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »
Iam so sorry to hear the orpheus has gone it was a lovely dance hall oh what a shame. many great times there  :( .

DERDREI,   I THOUGHT THE ORPHEUS  WAS GONE A LONG TIME AGO.  LOVED GOING THERE AS WELL AS MANY OF THE OTHER ONES..GREAT TIMES HAD BY ALL HA.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

jillyfred

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 12:07:47 PM »

===
Yes Derdrei it was a truly great place.
Just scandalous to have pulled it down -like many other beautiful old buildings in the City.
The monstrosities in their place are an eyesore IMHO.

jilly :(
P.S.I think BJay was referring to having the Christmas Market at the end of Royal Avenue due
to the Bank Buildings and the area around being inaccessible at the present time.

derdrei

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
DERDREI,   I THOUGHT THE ORPHEUS  WAS GONE A LONG TIME AGO.  LOVED GOING THERE AS WELL AS MANY OF THE OTHER ONES..GREAT TIMES HAD BY ALL HA.  LIZ :-*
hi LIZ I think some one in a few post's be for us said a few short year's ago it was knocked down. :-* .

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 07:56:44 PM »
hi LIZ I think some one in a few post's be for us said a few short year's ago it was knocked down. :-* .

LET ME MAKE SURE I'M TALKING ABOUT THE SAME DANCE ROOM,  THE ORPHEUS WAS ON TOP OF THE, SORRY THE NAME HAS JUST LEFT ME,  YOU HAD TO GO UPSTAIRS TO IT, I'M I THINKING OF THE RIGHT ONE.?   THE CO-OP. THAT'S THE PLACE .   :-*
BJ,  I REMEMBER MY NIECE TELLING ME ABOUT THE CHRISTMAS MARKET, THEY USE TO COME IN FROM LISBURN AND SHE SAID IT WAS A GOOD ONE.  SO WHY DON'T THEY  KEEP IT IN ROYAL AVE.  THERE IS NO TRAFFIC THERE ANYWAY.  PEOPLE CAN SHOP  AND PERHAPS  VISIT THE SHOPS ALREADY THERE  AND THEY ALL WOULD GET  THE BUSINESS.  SOUNDS SIMPLE BUT MAYBE NOT.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

MargaretS

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »
LET ME MAKE SURE I'M TALKING ABOUT THE SAME DANCE ROOM,  THE ORPHEUS WAS ON TOP OF THE, SORRY THE NAME HAS JUST LEFT ME,  YOU HAD TO GO UPSTAIRS TO IT, I'M I THINKING OF THE RIGHT ONE.?   THE CO-OP. THAT'S THE PLACE .   :-*
BJ,  I REMEMBER MY NIECE TELLING ME ABOUT THE CHRISTMAS MARKET, THEY USE TO COME IN FROM LISBURN AND SHE SAID IT WAS A GOOD ONE.  SO WHY DON'T THEY  KEEP IT IN ROYAL AVE.  THERE IS NO TRAFFIC THERE ANYWAY.  PEOPLE CAN SHOP  AND PERHAPS  VISIT THE SHOPS ALREADY THERE  AND THEY ALL WOULD GET  THE BUSINESS.  SOUNDS SIMPLE BUT MAYBE NOT.  LIZ :-*

youre right on the button S,N
top floor of the co,op
the co op had two buildings  sepperated by york lane witch had a bridge joining the them
the dance hall was above the butcher and grocery end
santas grotto was in that end as well
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 11:41:40 PM »
youre right on the button S,N
top floor of the co,op
the co op had two buildings  sepperated by york lane witch had a bridge joining the them
the dance hall was above the butcher and grocery end
santas grotto was in that end as well

THANKS MARGARET,  THERE WAS ONE  I USE TO GO TO AS WELL, IT WAS DOWN HIGH ST. I THINK,  USE TO GO TO A LOT OF THEM SO IT'S HARD TO REMEMBER NOW, BUT WE HAD A LOT OF FUN.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

MargaretS

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »
THANKS MARGARET,  THERE WAS ONE  I USE TO GO TO AS WELL, IT WAS DOWN HIGH ST. I THINK,  USE TO GO TO A LOT OF THEM SO IT'S HARD TO REMEMBER NOW, BUT WE HAD A LOT OF FUN.  LIZ :-*

john dossers was on high street
 this is not ment to be funny
it was called the sixty nine club
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 12:34:02 AM »
john dossers was on high street
 this is not ment to be funny
it was called the sixty nine club

WELL  MARGARET I LIKE IT, A CLUB NAMED AFTER ME HA..   I WAS STILL AT SCHOOL  AND MY COUSIN AND I USE TO GO TO THIS PLACE CALLED THE GIG.  MY PARENTS WOULD HAVE KILLED ME IF THEY HAD KNOWN.  I LOVED IT AND MY COUSIN AND I  WOULD SEE  A LOT OF MY SCHOOL FRIENDS THAT LIVED DOWN THAT WAY.  THIS PLACE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A  REPUTATION , I NEVER SAW ANYTHING.  IT WAS OVER CARRICK HILL?   LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

MargaretS

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
WELL  MARGARET I LIKE IT, A CLUB NAMED AFTER ME HA..   I WAS STILL AT SCHOOL  AND MY COUSIN AND I USE TO GO TO THIS PLACE CALLED THE GIG.  MY PARENTS WOULD HAVE KILLED ME IF THEY HAD KNOWN.  I LOVED IT AND MY COUSIN AND I  WOULD SEE  A LOT OF MY SCHOOL FRIENDS THAT LIVED DOWN THAT WAY.  THIS PLACE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A  REPUTATION , I NEVER SAW ANYTHING.  IT WAS OVER CARRICK HILL?   LIZ :-*

SIXTY  THE JIG WAS IN COATES STREET NOT FAR FROM DIVIS STREET
 THE ONLY PEOPLE EVER WENT TO IT WERE TEENAGERS
FROM THE FALLS ,THE HILL BALLYMURPHY NEWLODGE PLACES LIKE THAT
JUSTS KIDS ENJOYING THEM SELVES
IT S ONLY REPUTATION I INEW ABOUT WAS IT HAD THE BEST JIVERS
IT HAD THE ODD   FIGHT BUT PLACES LIKE thePLAZA HAD MORE
IM GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT   I DID
STILL OPEN IN LATE 60S :-*

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 04:29:02 PM »
SIXTY  THE JIG WAS IN COATES STREET NOT FAR FROM DIVIS STREET
 THE ONLY PEOPLE EVER WENT TO IT WERE TEENAGERS
FROM THE FALLS ,THE HILL BALLYMURPHY NEWLODGE PLACES LIKE THAT
JUSTS KIDS ENJOYING THEM SELVES
IT S ONLY REPUTATION I INEW ABOUT WAS IT HAD THE BEST JIVERS
IT HAD THE ODD   FIGHT BUT PLACES LIKE thePLAZA HAD MORE
IM GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT   I DID
STILL OPEN IN LATE 60S :-*

HEY MARGARET SO  WE'RE JIGERS HA . MY COUSIN AND I HAD SO MUCH FUN THERE.   I USE TO TAKE HER ROUND AND SHE WOULD END UP THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FLOOR.  I LOVED WATCHING EVERYONE ELSE DANCING, THEY HAD SO MUCH  "TALENT".  I WAS NOT VERY COORDINATED AND MUCH AS I TRIED , LETTING MY COUSIN TAKE ME ROUND, I ENDED  TAKING HER ROUND AND YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. HA.   NEVER HAD ANYTHING EVER HAPPEN TO US THERE BUT THE PLAZZA WAS GOOD EXCETP FOR SOME OF THE DIRT BAGS  THAT WENT THERE.  WE'LL LEAVE IT AT THAT.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner