Author Topic: cyprus street  (Read 40750 times)

whizzer

cyprus street
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:21:49 AM »
Anybody remember the Robb family from Cyprus Street? There were two sisters, twins, I think, one was called Ann, can't remember the other one, anyone help? Also, Soapy Trainors on Servia Street, how did they get the name 'Soapy' ??? ???
The biggest lie I ever told was when I said "I never told a lie"

arkie

Re: cyprus street
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
WHIZZER, ARE YOU SURE IT WAS CYPRUS ST. THERE WERE ROBB,S IN LEESON ST. SOAPY TRAINER HAD A SHOP LEESON ST. JUST ABOUT FACING THE LONG BAR. :)

arkie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:47:31 PM »
WHIZZER SORRY, THERE WAS A JIMMY ROBB AND FAMILY CYPRUS ST. JIMMY PLAYED BILLIARDS FOR THE ADELAIDE. ???

whizzer

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
Hi Arkie, No probs, but Soapy Trainors was definitely in Servia Street, which as you know, ran paralell with Raglan Street, I might be wrong, but am convinced. Jacksons was on the corner of Raglan Street and Cyprus Street, and Soapy's was around the corner of Cyprus Street into Servia Street. Did you know Malachy Morgan? For some reason I think he owned a chippie, but won't swear to that.  \

gerrymac

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 05:38:59 PM »
Hi Whizzer as far as I remember Jackson was on the corner of Varner and Cyprus St. I think it was Boyle's before that.
Gerry Mac

arkie

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
NEW MALACHY WELL. BELFASTS,GEORGE RAFT. 1ST TO HAVE A NEON SIGN ABOVE SHOP. THERE WAS DEF. A SOAPY TRAINER IN LEESON ST.CNR. THEODORE ST.

Lillikins

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »
Hi Ya Whizzer - I think the other Robb twin was named Elish (Ann and Elish Robb) I am not positive but I do remember that they were in Cyprus St at one time.

whizzer

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:13:20 AM »
Hi Lillykins, you are right, thanks for clearing that up, it was doing my head in :idiot2: :idiot2:

whizzer

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:15:23 AM »
Hi Gerrymac, I'm positive Jacksons was opposite Raglan Street school, but I wouldn't take a bet on it. O0 O0

whizzer

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:17:13 AM »
Arkie, I thought you would know Malachy Morgan, he lived a couple of doors down from my grandparents, where was the shop? Can you remember? :-\

whizzer

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:51 AM »
Come on guys, clear something up for me, all the 'wee buns' that we loved, Diamonds, Paris Buns, Haystacks, but I can remember one we called a 'Sorehead' what was that, if you can describe it, I'd be grateful. ;D ;D

gerrymac

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
Hi Whizzer I thought you were talking about Jackson shop you could be right about a family in Raglan St.
Gerry Mac

whizzer

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 03:29:15 PM »
Hi Gerrymac, Sorry if I confused you. I was talking about Jackson's shop, I may be wrong, but I remember Jackson's being on the corner of Raglan and Cyprus Street, I might be getting confused, but if that was not Jackson's can you shed any light on the name?  :-\ :-\

gerrymac

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 04:34:19 PM »
Hi Whizzer the shop was Jacksons at the bottom of Varner St, Before that it was Boyle's my mum used to shop in it, the owner was called Johnny Jackson and his wife was called Bell, I can't remember a shop at the corner of Cyprus St and Raglan St, The only shop I remember was Franks at the bottom of Balaclava St and Raglan St
Gerry Mac

whizzer

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Gerrymac. think I have sorted this one out, wasn't Raglan Street school on the corner of Panton Street and Raglan Street? Then directly opposite that was Jacksons, on the corner of Raglan Street and Cyprus Street, Panton Street ran across Raglan Street and became Cyprus Street. O0 O0