Author Topic: Remembering Old Belfast bars  (Read 30972 times)

MargaretS

Re: Remembering Old Belfast bars
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 03:39:57 PM »

yes I remember it and the engineers as well, used to drink in the Chlorane bar early 70`s one of a few pubs open in city centre then at night, I wont go into what happened there. :-\

sunflower was a great bar
owners anne and john were great people
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

Christineck1

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply Margaret

jmac

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

Tommy the Gibraltar was gone many years ago , must be at least 35 at least ( I think lol ) The Alwxander is closed also, THERE ARE FEW WATERING HOLES lol   From York road Station to Greencastle , Jeepers there were loads when I was a nipper , Regards ken
In my youth I played football for the 11th old boys and the Alex was the bar we would head to after the matches for a few liquid refreshments, untill one Saturday afternoon two hooded men entered the bar and shot a young man dead   . I found somewhere else to imbibe after that :(
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

old3wheeler

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:51 PM »
In my youth I played football for the 11th old boys and the Alex was the bar we would head to after the matches for a few liquid refreshments, untill one Saturday afternoon two hooded men entered the bar and shot a young man dead   . I found somewhere else to imbibe after that :(

I remember two lads being murdered in the Alexander around 1975 , One was called Stephen Goatley the other  Fulton I think , if memory serves me correctly it was part of a on going feud between to loyalist groups ,  I can remember the tension on the Shore Rd were I lived , I think there was also a chap shot dead in A pub in Tigers Bay earlier at a time , regards ken       My older bro also played for the 11THold boys by the way
" outside of a dog " a book is mans best friend,
inside of a dog is far to dark to read."

tommytwotoes

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »

I remember two lads being murdered in the Alexander around 1975 , One was called Stephen Goatley the other  Fulton I think , if memory serves me correctly it was part of a on going feud between to loyalist groups ,  I can remember the tension on the Shore Rd were I lived , I think there was also a chap shot dead in A pub in Tigers Bay earlier at a time , regards ken       My older bro also played for the 11THold boys by the way
ken they were both very good friends of mine stephen was only 19 and john only 20,, I still have the news paper clipping our other friend sent to me and a wallet he made for me in long kesh , I was devastated when I seen it on the news ,,, my father was in the alex that night

regards tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

jmac

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2015, 09:08:31 PM »

You're right otw there were two young men (not one as I earlier stated, slip of the hand while typing) shot dead that night and one of them was called Fulton.

Ubique

tommytwotoes

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2015, 10:14:46 PM »
You're right otw there were two young men (not one as I earlier stated, slip of the hand while typing) shot dead that night and one of them was called Fulton.
JMAC ,, read my post just before yours
regards tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

jmac

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »
JMAC ,, read my post just before yours
regards tommy
Sorry ttt I never seen your post, I knew a girl called Sharon, don't know her maiden name that was going out with the young lad Fulton at the time he was shot.

Ubique

old3wheeler

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »
ken they were both very good friends of mine stephen was only 19 and john only 20,, I still have the news paper clipping our other friend sent to me and a wallet he made for me in long kesh , I was devastated when I seen it on the news ,,, my father was in the alex that night

regards tommy
    Hi Tommy, I had no idea they were pals of your,s  , It was a terrible thing to happen two young lads shot and killed , I remember that period well and there was a lot of fear and tension along the Shore RD and York Rd at that time, I suppose back in those times we were used with the whole situation in the North ,and as much as I am embarrassed to say it I feel we all got used to killings and saw them as an every day event.
     I always wondered if there were times when I and my friends were close to becoming just another systaltic, We used to walk the road late at nights never thinking it would happen to us, I remember we walked home from the city centre at about 1 in the morning and as we passed Lancaster St A crowd appeared from the Street opposite ,  I think all of us broke the world record for the fastest mile ever lol on our way down York Rd that night , Regards Ken
" outside of a dog " a book is mans best friend,
inside of a dog is far to dark to read."

BREDAGUY

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
hi drunk in the sunflower great bar was open till the late 80s till it was knocked down big john was a great guy luved having a drink with the customers

BREDAGUY

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
yes the engineers club was in corporation street darky was the bar stewart

stranmillis v

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »
what a character darky was  :D
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

teragram

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2015, 04:32:02 PM »
My father worked along with Darkie for years in the 70s. I worked in it also, but only now and again. My da was John Ward
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Smickair

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »
I drunk in sunflower and the engineers also muldoons and harp
late 60s 70 s  80s  and 90
big john s   was brilliant 
big john and darky  good guys

teragram

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
Darky was a grumpy git but a very good man. He took no prisoners. If you stepped out of line it was goodnight.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.