Author Topic: Whiteabbey memories  (Read 6400 times)

desmond

Re: Whiteabbey memories
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 11:29:58 PM »
Sassidge   I grew up in Carson street in fifties/sixties..can name most of wour street and Hillview street

Roadracer

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 04:34:53 AM »
Anyone remember Lismara with the gardens and exotic birds owned by McCullagh's.

RobRoy

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
Aye , Lismara was the house of Sir Crawford McCullagh and then it was renamed Abbeydene after his death. This house was in Whitehouse.
His son Sir Joseph Crawford McCullagh built his house in the next townland and called it Lismara. This house was in Whiteabbey. He was an expert on ornithology.
I remember the beautiful lamps on the entrance gateposts.

Roadracer

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
That's correct Robroy, my grandparents lived in the gate lodge in the mid seventies. I used to go into the garden's but there wasn't any wildlife then.

RobRoy

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »
Roadracer, I was well gone by the 1970s. In the early 1950s we used to walk one day each week from Whitehouse PE school to the "tech" in Abbeyville St. for woodwork and then walk back again when finished, this way we saved 3d. (busfare) penny ha'penny each way. We knew the names of all the big houses on the shore side of the road and they finished with St Dunstans School for the Blind opposite the Station Rd.
I think the woodwork teacher was named Jackson? Hard to believe we were only children of 9 and 10 years of age. I only know this as I did the 11 plus before my 11th. birthday and we did no wood work that year. In all that time I can't recall anyone getting cut.

merylh

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 04:59:11 AM »
Hi RobRoy, I too went to Whitehouse Primary and walked once a week to and from Whiteabbey in the early 50s for home economic classes, which were held next door to woodwork. My name then was Meryl Hull. Teachers were Jimmy Lowry, Mr Barry ...

RobRoy

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »
Hi Meryl, yes that's right, Headmaster (Baldy) Pollock, other teachers were Mrs. Logan and Mrs. Newell. During this time the huge extension was being built and we went from a 4 classroom village school to an 18 classroom monster with assembly hall and dining room. Arghhh, our idyllic country life was changed by the invasion of "The Townies" and Rathcoole just kept getting bigger and bigger as the compulsory purchase of farms and estates became streets of houses. Of course to us children it was an exciting adventure playground. I left 1955 for a more humdrum life of Ballyclare High School  where 5 classrooms were in an old Ropeworks, 2 in an old mortuary and one in a wooden hut, but we thought it was great.

Roadracer

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 08:59:37 AM »
My grandparents lived in Abbeyville St. Opposite the tech first house second block prior to Lismara mum's side. Dad's side first alluminium.

roycraw.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Roadracer, I was well gone by the 1970s. In the early 1950s we used to walk one day each week from Whitehouse PE school to the "tech" in Abbeyville St. for woodwork and then walk back again when finished, this way we saved 3d. (busfare) penny ha'penny each way. We knew the names of all the big houses on the shore side of the road and they finished with St Dunstans School for the Blind opposite the Station Rd.
I think the woodwork teacher was named Jackson? Hard to believe we were only children of 9 and 10 years of age. I only know this as I did the 11 plus before my 11th. birthday and we did no wood work that year. In all that time I can't recall anyone getting cut.
hi rob roy long time but?   iwas long gone by the 1950s   did woodwork there and the master was a mr. mc something or other, he kept order by sitting behind his wee desk and flinging wee blocks of wood at us . his aim was deadly.   roy   c.

macroyal

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »
hi rob roy long time but?   iwas long gone by the 1950s   did woodwork there and the master was a mr. mc something or other, he kept order by sitting behind his wee desk and flinging wee blocks of wood at us . his aim was deadly.   roy   c.
Sorry to have to say again, i am sorry to say RobRoy passed away , a great loss to the forum, i think i am right in remembering RobRoys father was station master at greencastle station, and Robs bedroom was at the upstairs attic window, in the photos of whitehouse/ greencastle station pictures, all the best, keith 5th newtonabbey BB.

headboatman

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 10:23:54 PM »
RobRoys father was not the station master as I am his younger brother. My dad worked on building sites and Courtalds in Carrick. We lived at 34 Bells Row Whitehouse then 9 Ardgart Place Rathcoole and 8 Bracken Way Rushpark. Roy died in France of Lung Cancer, I had Bowel Cancer the same time.

headboatman

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »
The school in Whiteabbey was St Bridget’s school for the blind facing Abbeyville Street. Not St Dunstans according to Rob Roy my older brother. Jimmy Jackson left Whiteabbe Tech to teach woodwork at  Hopefield 1961.

Willty

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
Hi folks,anyone remember the Half way house on a  bend in Whiteabbey,on the shore side,went out to the gents for a pee,very primitive,out in a yard,got soaked when a wave came over the wall.

desmond

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »

last time I was there March 2019 only original parts left were Front Street houses facing the lough, Wall Street, Abbey Gardens and Power Station in what was Office Street...most of us were moved uptil Glenville Park in what was Mc|Bride's Field early 1970's..others were 'scattered' til Bawnmore, Longlands and Whitewell ..the old clock has gone..but there now is a campaign til have it replaced.

Roadracer

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2019, 03:53:22 PM »
last time I was there March 2019 only original parts left were Front Street houses facing the lough, Wall Street, Abbey Gardens and Power Station in what was Office Street...most of us were moved uptil Glenville Park in what was Mc|Bride's Field early 1970's..others were 'scattered' til Bawnmore, Longlands and Whitewell ..the old clock has gone..but there now is a campaign til have it replaced.

Desmond

Did you look at the changes in Abbeyville Street and Place.
I'm sure you went for a stroll up the Glen.