Author Topic: Jeremiah Boomer b. ABT1820  (Read 2462 times)

misha231

Jeremiah Boomer b. ABT1820
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking for the birth, marriage, death or burial records of Jeremiah/Jeramiah BOOMER he would have been born around 1820 in Belfast Lisburn or possibly even Co Monaghan, and was still alive in 1868 the last record I can find for him. I presume he died some time in the 1890's. He is not listed on the 1901 Census so I presume he had passed away by then. 

He lived at 9 Maxwell's court in the 1860's and may have moved the Eureka St later in life. He is noted as a Gardener and may have later been a Book Binder or Paper Cutter. One of his sons owned a company in Distillery St called Geo. Boomer & Son Fancy Box makers. He would have married around 1839 as his first child was born in 1840. The family have always lived around the Sandy Row -Donegall Road area.

The GRONI only has records after 1864 and on the Birth, Death and Marriages of his children no mother's name is mentioned. I have checked the on-line Cemeteries for Jeremiah Boomer, with anomalies, to no avail. Would anyone know where I might go next in finding a birth or death record for him? Any tips would be greatly welcome.

JimG

Re: Jeremiah Boomer b. ABT1820
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
I had a look around so probably repeating some or all of what you know
     In 1860 he was living at No 9 Maxwells court , lower Malone  Belfast see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation  There could just be a map reference  if so the boundary of his home should be shown.
In the street directory for 1861 the houses are so poor they are not listed other by number ten in total by 1868 only 8 remained  see lennonwylie.co.uk On her website I notice a Boomer street exists in 1877 and earlier also in her index is an early entry for a boomer Blacksmith in Lisburn about 1819, but I didnt find your Boomer.

Could this be him in family search.com in his role of father
Father of Mary b  marrying John Shirra 22 Apr 1861 in Belfast also in ancestryireland .com
Father of Eliza b 1842 marrying John Patterson 15 Jun 1862 in Blefast
Father of George  marrying Elizabeth Cree   26 march 1869 in Belfast
Father of John  marrying  Margaret Ferguson       15 Sep 1862
Father of John  marrying Agnes Mc Master 07 Nov 1868 in Ballinderry

In the tithe applotment books for Co Antrim for 1826 Boomer, James  County : Antrim
Parish : Belfast/Shankill  Townland : Skeigoneill  Year : 1826 Could this be a relative of  J.

In Clifton www.cliftonstreetcemetery.com/ there are 3 databases to search
1831 there is mentions of a place in Belfast known as Boomers Hill!
In the Upper cemetery is
Lot77 BOOMER
Erected
in memory of James Boomer late of Belfast
who departed this life 7th September 1820
Aged 55 years
Also his Son William who died December 1808
Aged 7 years
And his Daughter Jane who died 25 December
Aged 5 years
Grave purchased by James Boomer, February 1809

In 1838 a monaghan connection
Jane Boomer
(Asthma)
Aged 63
Wife of William Boomer
Little George Street
Born at and came from Monaghan
Her family in Belfast
 there are others I think a George Boomers  children might have been buried there
Well thats it, over to others to find what you want, good luck onwards JIMG

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
Here's a wee present for you.
arish/DistrictShankillAddress 19 Maxwells CourtDenominationChurch of IrelandDate of Birth01/01/1857Date of Baptism/Registration25/02/1857Father's First NameJeremiahFather's SurnameBoomerFather's OccupationLabourerMother's First NameElizaMother's SurnameThomsonComment 2married in Tyholland church[/color][/font]

Rosemary

As ye sow, so shall ye reap

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »
Tyholland[/font][/size] ([/font][/size]Irish[/font][/size]: [/font][/size]Tigh Thalainn[/font][/size], meaning "Talainn's house") is a small [/font][/size]parish[/font][/size] in [/font][/size]County Monaghan[/font][/size], [/font][/size]Ireland[/font][/size]. It is the smallest parish in the County Monaghan and borders [/font][/size]County Armagh[/font][/size]. For a period it was united with Donagh parish and later still with Monaghan parish. Since 1826 it has been once again a parish in its own right.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
Rosemary[/font][/size]

JimG

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
     Hi Misha123 and Rosemary Joan, as usual Rosemary Joan has blown me away with her knowledge for which I give her many thanks.  So I was puzzled and looked again at 
Griffiths valuation, after I had  found Familysearch explains Tehallan also spelled Tyhallon or Teholland and is a parish partly in the barony of Cremorne but mostly in the barony of Monaghan, county of Monaghan, province of Ulster.  {Familysearch donít mention Tyholland at all}.  The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with the civil parish boundary.  So thats  Tyholland sorted.

Under Co Monaghan I found no Boomer, or Thomson but did find  Thompson in Tehallan. I believe this is Griffithís method of standardizing some spellings. So I still think either following one or both might be Elizaís relatives
Rachel Thompson is living in Kingorry townland in 1860, and is herself a landlord for two other nearby properties.
Joseph Thompson is living in Corvally townland in 1860 
both have map references , which should mean you can see the boundaries of the homesteads on http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation

from familysearch I gleaned the following list of Townlands for Tehallan

AghabrickAlkillAnnacramphCarnCarrowkeelCavanreaghClonlonanCoolmuckbaneCorbegCordevlisCornahoeCorraskeallyCorrawillinCorvallyCreighansCroweyCrumlinCuldalooDerryDromoreDrumacruttanDrumagelvinDrumgooleDrummuckDrumnahunshinDrumrutaghFedooGarran ItraGarran Otra (or Gibraltar)Gibraltar (or Garran Otra)GolreeGroves LowerGroves UpperKildoaghKilleefKillycarnanKillyneillKinardKingorryKnockacunnierKnockboyLappanLeitrimLiscarneyLisconduffLisnanoreMullaghmoreSeaveaghShelvinsSkinnaginTamlatTempletateTerrycaffeTiraveraTuckmilltateTullygonyTullylishTullynanure

Next I looked for Tyhollands Church of Ireland parish church in case more records are stored somewhere, first I noted yes but under another spelling TEHALLEN, our Public Record Office PRONI offers
TEHALLEN, CO. MONAGHAN
[1]C.I. Tyholland (Clogher diocese)
Baptisms, 1806-80; marriages, 1806-1951; burials,
1806-1912.
Baptisms, 1881-; vestry minutes, 1712-.
MIC1/126
In local custody
[2]R.C. Tyholland (Clogher diocese)
Baptisms, 1835-81; marriages, 1827-82. MIC1D/3, 15

So thatís as much as I can offer, Misha123 if you live near a LDS Mormon church they may have the microfiche and hope you find more relatives.
Good luck to you both, wee presents are always welcomed!
JimG

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »
One little comment.  I am presently  researching the surname Gorml(e)y.  When I search for records under that name Boomer comes up!!  I believe they are one and the same, though I can't see the connection.  Just keep the name Gormly in mind when researching early records.
Regards,
RosemaryJoan

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Griffiths Valuation

TenantFamily Name 1GORMLYForename 1FELIX
[/color][/font][/size]
LandlordFamily Name 2CONNOLLYForename 2DENIS
[/color][/font][/size]
LocationCountyMONAGHANBaronyCREMORNEUnionMONAGHANParishTEHALLANTownlandLISCONDUFFPlace NameLISCONDUFFPlace TypeTOWNLAND
[/color][/font][/size]
Publication DetailsPosition on Page24Printing Date1860Act15&16Sheet Number10Map Reference3 A
[/color][/font][/size]

Boomer was sometime known as Blumer.  Here is an example in Griffiths

Blumer          John                Crowey            Tehallan     Monaghan[/pre]

misha231

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »

Rosemary Joan, 

I presume this pertains to Robert Boomer who married Margaret Rea and later moved to England ?

Here's a wee present for you.
arish/DistrictShankillAddress 19 Maxwells CourtDenominationChurch of IrelandDate of Birth01/01/1857Date of Baptism/Registration25/02/1857Father's First NameJeremiahFather's SurnameBoomerFather's OccupationLabourerMother's First NameElizaMother's SurnameThomsonComment 2married in Tyholland church[/color][/font]

Rosemary

misha231

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
Dear Jim and Rosemary,

I can not thank you both enough for the help you have offered me. The link to Monaghan has puzzled me for many years. Jeremiah's children are recorded as being born in Belfast except for one, my g-great grandfather John. On all records for him including his prison records he states that he was born in Co Monaghan. John was married twice and his first born son to his first wife was also called Jeremiah. Jeremiah jr. went to London and in 1899 married there. In his records there are also references to Monaghan. All other children of Jeremiah state there place of birth as Belfast. At least now I have a new glimmer of hope at finding more information. I know that at some stage the name would have changed from the French Huguenot spelling of Bulmer to Boomer but this must have happened before the time of my Jeremiah. My hope now is to find the next link to our Huguenot heritage. [size=78%] [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]once again my many thanks [/size]
[size=78%]  [/size]

Alemap

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
I am researching my husband's ancestors. They are descended from Jeremiah Boomerand Eliza(beth) Thompson as well. They are my husband's great-great grandparents.
I am not as far back in the history as you are, but am very interested in your findings.
My husband's Great grandfather was : Thomas Boomer born 1860 . Grandfather: Thomas Boomer born 1885 Belfast, brother was Andrew, mother Elizabeth McKeown.
I have just recently found that William and Robert were the 1st Thomas's  brothers. Do you know who Jeremiah's (who would have been their Dad and born about 1840) father was? I find it confusing with the other marriages that  have  Jeremiah as the father from 1861 to 1869.  Did he have 2 families or were there 2 Jeremiahs?
Thanks for any help.

misha231

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »
I have sent you a private message... with my email details.
regards
Mish

Shirleyc153

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »
Alemap and misha231    have sent you both a private message with my email. We are researching the same Boomer family. My gt gt grandmother was Mary Boomer, daughter of Jeremiah. She married William Shirra.

Barry OíSullivan

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 01:02:36 AM »
I know this is an old thread but if anyone who has posted here still reads this Iíve picked up Jeremiahís photo album from a charity shop. Iíve been researching his family tree which has led me to this forum. Please message me, it would be great to get this back to the family.

Shirleyc153

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:48 AM »
Hi Barry. Delighted to see your post. Where did you get album. Jeremiah Boomed is my gt gt gt grandfather..

Barry OíSullivan

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 01:22:46 AM »
I found it in a antique shop in Deal, Kent. Itís a photo album of Bernard John Boomer, from birth and covers up to when he joined the army in the First World War. From searching on find my past, he had one brother Lawrance (spelt with an Ďaí). Sadly Bernard died in 1928. Thereís one photo of who I assume to be Jeremiah and his wife Alice. At the turn of the century Jeremiah lived in Southwark, London. From some of the annotations on the photos this ties up, as well as some photos being marked ĎBelfastí so Iím pretty certain itís the same people.