Author Topic: Belfast Hotels, past and present  (Read 5539 times)

misssmyth1

Re: Belfast Hotels, past and present
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »
I remember the Woodburn Hotel in Suffolk as my friend Dot and I stayed outside all  night as the STONES were staying there. I think it was 1964. We were schoolgirls.    We got their autographs at 5am and when we went home we were in big trouble as our dads were all over Belfast looking for us thinking wed been murdered!! 

Astor

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 06:39:54 PM »
I remember the Woodburn Hotel in Suffolk as my friend Dot and I stayed outside all  night as the STONES were staying there. I think it was 1964. We were schoolgirls.    We got their autographs at 5am and when we went home we were in big trouble as our dads were all over Belfast looking for us thinking wed been murdered!!

Was it worth it misssmyth, and would you do it again  :)
Que Sera Sera

misssmyth1

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
To be honest we worried our parents to death. but my friend and I thought it was a good idea at the time .We were thrilled to get the autographs and actually meet the Stones but when I realised how much my parents were terrified we never did anything like this again. I did apologise and make a promise to that effect.

Astor

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »
To be honest we worried our parents to death. but my friend and I thought it was a good idea at the time .We were thrilled to get the autographs and actually meet the Stones but when I realised how much my parents were terrified we never did anything like this again. I did apologise and make a promise to that effect.

We don't realise how much parents worry until we are parents ourselves  :)
Que Sera Sera

Moondog40

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
All good. Went to the.  ASTOR.       Yeah. Right

sj

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »
All good. Went to the.  ASTOR.       Yeah. Right

It wasn't a hotel but the beautiful people went to dance there :D  from all over Belfast.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
My cousin Eleanor went to see them and she had a really pretty dress and yellow shoes, the shoes got trampled in the crowd and were almost ruined and that was inside. I still like the Stones music, my father hated them when they were on top of the pops, he used to say they needed a good wash! I used to sit there thinking how lovely Mick Jagger was, not anymore though, don't know what the young girls see in him, must be the size of his wallet! :D They all look like the walking dead now. Some serious wrinkles going on there! :D

jillyfred

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 04:49:39 PM »
My cousin Eleanor went to see them and she had a really pretty dress and yellow shoes, the shoes got trampled in the crowd and were almost ruined and that was inside. I still like the Stones music, my father hated them when they were on top of the pops, he used to say they needed a good wash! I used to sit there thinking how lovely Mick Jagger was, not anymore though, don't know what the young girls see in him, must be the size of his wallet! :D They all look like the walking dead now. Some serious wrinkles going on there! :D
=======

My Daddy said they were a lot of dirty looking scrubs!!!
He also said Elvis the Pelvis with the swivel hippy.

He`s gone now 30 years -but I can still hear him saying these things.
He still gave me the money to see Elvis at the picture house and to go to the live shows of all the 1960`s acts that came here.
jillyx

sj

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 03:41:33 AM »
Has anybody mentioned the Royal Ave Hotel.   :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

chi

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 03:58:00 AM »

It wasn't a hotel but the beautiful people went to dance there :D  from all over Belfast.

I remember it well, twist and shout! :party:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

stickleback

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »

The Belfast Hotel disco's of the early 80's were truly horrific.

They invariably had DJ's who only played top 20 tunes, or top 20 tunes from the past and they all adopted Americanised accents. They clearly didn't have the first clue about music. Then there was the ridiculous dress code, which you needed to pass to get past the army of thuggish doormen. And the business of having to ask a girl you didn't know for a dance. It was like you could only express yourself if you conformed to what was acceptable, made manifest in the ludicrous playing of the national anthem at the end of the night. It was truly horrific and was the establishment imposing their will on what is potentially the most dynamic and creative sector in any society: the youth. The spin-off was that a few years later, the rave culture took off, where you could wear what you liked and dance on your own amidst thousands of others all dancing on their own and you didn't need to answer to any doormen or stand for the national anthem at the end of it.

chi

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »
=======

My Daddy said they were a lot of dirty looking scrubs!!!
He also said Elvis the Pelvis with the swivel hippy.

He`s gone now 30 years -but I can still hear him saying these things.
He still gave me the money to see Elvis at the picture house and to go to the live shows of all the 1960`s acts that came here.
jillyx

My friend Margaret who lived on
Jamaica St had a brother who
looked like Elvis( except he had
blond hair)

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

simmons

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
I work in Robinsons in Donegall St for a year or so after I left school at the Start of the 70's, just my Luck its was a temperance Hotel  :D

Bigali

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 10:53:59 PM »

The Belfast Hotel disco's of the early 80's were truly horrific.

They invariably had DJ's who only played top 20 tunes, or top 20 tunes from the past and they all adopted Americanised accents. They clearly didn't have the first clue about music. Then there was the ridiculous dress code, which you needed to pass to get past the army of thuggish doormen. And the business of having to ask a girl you didn't know for a dance. It was like you could only express yourself if you conformed to what was acceptable, made manifest in the ludicrous playing of the national anthem at the end of the night. It was truly horrific and was the establishment imposing their will on what is potentially the most dynamic and creative sector in any society: the youth. The spin-off was that a few years later, the rave culture took off, where you could wear what you liked and dance on your own amidst thousands of others all dancing on their own and you didn't need to answer to any doormen or stand for the national anthem at the end of it.

Stickleback , did ye never hear of the aw'right luv  ;)  Approach ?  ??? :)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Dot/dash

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »

Stickleback , did ye never hear of the aw'right luv  ;)  Approach ?  ??? :)

if some had said that to me     I'd have given them my drop dead look       :D
love me          love my gelding