Author Topic: Sammy Pavis?  (Read 4115 times)

belfastmapleleaf

Sammy Pavis?
« on: June 07, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
As a kid, I remember seeing this name, a local footballer who did well!!
Rather than trawl the internet, does anyone have any memories they could share or fill in the gaps for me?
Thanks in advance. T
When you point a finger at someone, there's 3 fingers pointing back at you.

jmac

Re: Sammy Pavis?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
He was a also a very talented amateur snooker champion, and a plumber by trade

http://nifootball.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/sammy-pavis.html

http://www.linfieldfc.com/interview.asp?inv=322 

Hope this helps  :)

Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

Sanbrad

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
As a kid, I remember seeing this name, a local footballer who did well!!
Rather than trawl the internet, does anyone have any memories they could share or fill in the gaps for me?
Thanks in advance. T

I know nothing about football or footballers... But, in the dim distant past I can remember a chant that went, "we don't need Eusebio, 'cos we've got Sammy Pavis!"

I've no idea where this memory comes from.

belfastmapleleaf

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
Thanks to jmac  ans Sanbrad for all that info. More taken aback by the amount of time that has passed since. 
When you point a finger at someone, there's 3 fingers pointing back at you.

cannon

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
He was a also a very talented amateur snooker champion, and a plumber by trade

Sammy represented  N. Ireland at the World Amateur Snooker Championship in Calgary 1982, and was  deeply involved in the staging of the World Amateur Billiards Championship at the Park Avenue Hotel,  Belfast , in 1987. 

cannon.

Brown low

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »
When The blues were behind on goals the crowd would shout "Sammy Save Us" his brother Norman Pavis played for Crusaders.  He was a hate figure for bluemen as he would make the sign of the cross when he was playing.

sonnyboy

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
He also enjoyed a round of golf at Shandon Park and played in the Ulster 4 Ball team many times

fred g

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 11:06:16 PM »
Sammy pavis came from east Belfast I think he had a brother called Brian whose wife Sylvia sang around the cabaret clubs in Belfast in the late 60's / 70's. He Used to call some Saturday nights into  desano's ice cream shop bottom
Newtownards road on his way home

bothy

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
Sammy also ran a snooker hall and club on the Castlereagh Road near the corner of Loopland Drive in the 80's, played there manys a time.

richard mccann

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 01:29:42 AM »
I remember Norman and Brian Pavis they both went to Mersey St Primary school  in the late 40/s early 50/s as for Sammy I am not sure .

scotland

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 07:52:43 PM »
If memory serves me well the Pavis lads lived in Methuen St

Erniem

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »
Hi

The last time I was in Benidorm he had a tidy little bar opposite the Melia hotel  8)

FLYINGBOLT

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
I remember Sammy Pavis playing for Linfield in the late 1960s when I was a teenager,he wasn't the best footballer in the league but he was a terrific goalscorer,mostly from close range.
An earlier poster is correct as when the Blues weren't winning and time was running out,the chant would ring out 'Sammy Pavis,Sammy save us' and he very often did.
Sammy was also a superb snooker player in later years and I well remember him playing Eddie Swaffield in the late 1970s in the final of the McAleavey 0pen with 500 pounds to the winner,best of 5 frames.It was played that year in the Fortwilliam Golf Club.
I was at that final and it was a smashing match and a very serious betting match also as the sponsors,McAleavey Bookmakers,were in attendance and they were betting on the match frame by frame as well as outright winner.Anyhow, Eddie Swaffield won the match by 3 frames to 1, no disgrace to Sammy as Swaffield was close to professional standard at that time and I won a right few quid on the match also.

Sachs

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
Sammy Pavis was a real hero at Linfield when I started watching them in the 60s.
Many times he’d pop up and score a scrappy goal and win the game for Linfield when they were not playing well.
I think Sammy may have got a cap or two for the Irish league select team.
 If I remember correctly Chelsea may have been interested in him at one point but Sammy wasn’t really interested in playing full time football. He had scored an awful lot of goals and he obviously caught their attention.

jjmack

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
Sammy also ran a snooker hall and club on the Castlereagh Road near the corner of Loopland Drive in the 80's, played there manys a time.

Was the snooker club called the 'Centre Spot' ?  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.