Author Topic: Anyone know a Martin Long?  (Read 500 times)

GandT

Anyone know a Martin Long?
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
This is a total long-shot and probably a futile effort but I am trying to trace the whereabouts of a man named Martin Long. The problem is that he is a very old friend of an aunt of mine who is now in a nursing home and fluctuates between great clarity and considerable confusion. One thing she is clear about [and this I know to be true] is that a friend of hers, Martin Long went to England [probably early 1960s] and, for various reasons, she lost touch with him and he with her.

The true bit of what she recalls and is also clear in my memory is that Martin was a dear friend of hers. He was a chef and worked in several hotels and for some reason [and this may be wrong] I seem to remember him having worked in a hotel in Ballycastle [the Marine?] or Portrush. He was a very young man in the early 1960s and I reckon if still alive would be in his 70's now. He was an extremely good-looking guy and, given the repressive nature of those times, he was unapologetically, overtly and flamboyantly gay. He lived with his mother but I am unsure which part of Belfast they lived in. It was to find a better and more liberal society that he went to England.

My aunt maintains [and this is where confusion and clarity merge] that he phoned her or telegraphed her from either Belfast Airport or London in some distress. However, he must have left no contact details and if he ever returned to Belfast he would not have known how or where to contact my aunt since she had moved. The part about his contacting her in some distress is true [that I remember from long ago]. The details surrounding this contact, content of message and where it came from are all vague.

My aunt is now very old - much older than Martin would be but from time to time she reverts to the subject and it seems to bother her greatly that she cannot find out about him.

As I said, a total long-shot but who knows maybe someone out there may have some information on Martin. My sister and I would also love to see him.

Bland12245

Re: Anyone know a Martin Long?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
Did you ever find Martin? I think I can give you information if you are still looking.

GandT

Re: Anyone know a Martin Long?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
No, I never did find him but I have sent you a PM with what I do know.