Author Topic: Anyone from Island Street East Belfast  (Read 1170 times)

kathy lewis

Anyone from Island Street East Belfast
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
Anyone from Island Street East Belfast.  I would love to hear all your memories of life in Island Street. 

richard mccann

Re: Anyone from Island Street East Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 05:29:07 AM »
Kathy lewis-I lived close to Island St it was just off Dee St. Our street which was Harkness Pde was off Armitage via MerseySt and Dee St if you know what I mean. I used to cycle up Island St every day on my way to work I remember collecting refuse for Johnny Nixon he had pigs but I think it was little Island St he lived in.This was late 40/s probably too long ago to remember. As an aside to your main point When we were first married  our first landlord was from Island St his name was Burrows  his wife who was married before was the mother of Robert Stigwood the manager of the BeeGees  that was nearly 50/yrs ago cheers/ Rmc

road hog

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »
Are you any relation to Joannie Lewis ?
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

kathy lewis

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
Kathy lewis-I lived close to Island St it was just off Dee St. Our street which was Harkness Pde was off Armitage via MerseySt and Dee St if you know what I mean. I used to cycle up Island St every day on my way to work I remember collecting refuse for Johnny Nixon he had pigs but I think it was little Island St he lived in.This was late 40/s probably too long ago to remember. As an aside to your main point When we were first married  our first landlord was from Island St his name was Burrows  his wife who was married before was the mother of Robert Stigwood the manager of the BeeGees  that was nearly 50/yrs ago cheers/ Rmc

Hi Richard, I was born in the 50's, you probably traveled through Island street during the time when my grandparents lived in Island street, they were also Lewis and my grandmothers family were Govan.  My grandmother was Beatrice Lewis nee Govan and my grandfather was Hector. My Grandfather had an identical twin Sammy.   

kathy lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Are you any relation to Joannie Lewis ?

I don't know a Joannie but how long ago are you going back. 

kathy lewis

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »

Forgot to mention I know Harkness Parade, my grandparents Florrie and Jim Walker lived in Brandra street.

seosamh

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »
I had a great friend called shirley kemp who came from central st, we lost touch due to the troubles
 :(

kathy lewis

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »
I had a great friend called shirley kemp who came from central st, we lost touch due to the troubles
 :(

I remember kemps but they lived in Island street.  How old would Shirley be now?

kathrynspet

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
The Kemps from Island Street moved to Bright Street until it was demolished in the redevelopment. Bobby and Lottie Kemp now live about Clara Street. Their family all still live about the East, except for Michael who now lives in Scotland.

seos

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »
shirley would be around 66 now kathy