Author Topic: Regan's - Ship Street & Great George's Street  (Read 2400 times)

belle_fast

Regan's - Ship Street & Great George's Street
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
I'm looking for some detail on the sisters of my great grandfather James (Jimmy) Regan.

Jimmy was the eldest son of Francis (Frank) & Mary Anne Regan (sometimes also known as O'Regan), born in 1903. They lived initially at 42 Ship Street which was the home of Mary Anne's mother Mary Anne Moore and they later moved to 15 Great George's Street where they run a boarding house.

Jimmy had 3 sisters, Margaret Regan (known as Peggy born 1904), Josephine Regan (known as Josie born 1907) & Hannah Theresa Regan born 1909. I haven't been able to source any marriage records for the girls and need to find out what their married names were so I can carry on with my research.

Can anyone help or does anyone know of any descendants of these girls? Any info appreciated, thanks.
Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.

valkerr

Re: Regan's - Ship Street & Great George's Street
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:20:42 AM »
I found a marriage of a Mary Josephine Regan in 1927 - fathers name Francis.

Surname   First Name   Year   Father's First Name   County
Regan   Mary Josephine   1927   Francis   Antrim

M/1927/B1/2326/32/76   Mary   Regan   Doherty   12th September 1927   Belfast
M/1927/B1/2326/32/76   Joseph   Doherty   Regan   12th September 1927   Belfast

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:22:44 AM »

Also on GRONI online and AncestryIreland, a Margaret Jane O'Regan who married Denis O'Brien on 27 October 1924, her father was Francis, the marriage was registered in Belfast.

Nothing to say conclusively that this is your Margaret though.

belle_fast

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »
Wow!  Thanks valkerr & CMG, that's very, very useful information and I greatly appreciate your help .

Both options seem viable as we have uncovered a connection to the name Doherty / O'Doherty with Josie already through a distant relative in the USA.  I wasn't aware that she was Mary Josephine though so that might explain where we were getting stuck.

Peggy was Margaret Jane, she appears to have gone with the O'Regan version of their name - I don't know why some used the 'O' and others didn't.  My great grandfather dropped the 'O'.  It also appears that she married on my birthday  :)

This wee family has me gripped - I'm really enjoying learning about them all.  I've been fortunate enough to be passed pictures of Peggy & Hannah, as well as a picture of their Mum Mary Anne (my great, great grandmother), it's brilliant to learn more about them.

Any other help / suggestions will be appreciated, particularly on Hannah Theresa.  Thanks again!
Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.

belle_fast

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:25 PM »
Just updating to let you know that those leads where indeed 2 of my Great Aunts so thanks for your help again.

I have another question that I hope someone can advise on, where would the most likely burial place have been for parishioners of St. Joseph's RC church in Belfast in the 1920's / 1930's?

I'm particularly keen to locate the final resting place of my Great Grandmother Bridget Regan who tragically died in childbirth in 1932.

Thanks in advance.

Bread Basket

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
Just updating to let you know that those leads where indeed 2 of my Great Aunts so thanks for your help again.

I have another question that I hope someone can advise on, where would the most likely burial place have been for parishioners of St. Joseph's RC church in Belfast in the 1920's / 1930's?

I'm particularly keen to locate the final resting place of my Great Grandmother Bridget Regan who tragically died in childbirth in 1932.

Thanks in advance.
As a parishioner of St Joseph's your family were most likely buried in Milltown Cemetary.
All records of Milltown are kept at PRONI and at the Gatehouse in Milltown Cemetary. .the Cemetary charges a fee for looking up the records. All records at PRONI can be research as free (attending in person) but if certificates are required then they need to be applied for and a fee is attracted.
Do you know the date of the deaths? ....if not then you can find that information from GRONI. ...Births, deaths and marriages can be researched ONLINE through GRONI but once again a fee is applicable if further details or certificates are required.
Lennon and Willie is a valuable site for research so if you are not familiar with this one then please have a look.
St Joseph's church has closed but all Baptisimal, Death & Marriage records are now held by it's sister parish....St Patrick's, Donegal St Belfast.....contact them directly and you may well find them accomodating (depends on who answers the phone)
Don't forget the Irish Census records....another valuable source of information. ....also try death notices in the Irish News  which is the main daily newspaper for the Catholic Community in Belfast and parts of Northern Ireland....if in Belfast then you can visit the offices (in Library St) and look up the newspaper of the date of the death.
I've also included a few details of the layout and plots within Milltown along with a site where you just might be lucky to see online the headstone of your relative,,,,,but slim chance as the site is not complete.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index.htm
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/leisure-home-and-community/history-heritage-and-museums/research-family-history-at-the-general-register-office-ni-groni/research-at-groni-where-to-start.htm
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
http://www.irishnews.com/advertising.aspx?section=ContactUs
http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/
http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/maps-3/milltown-section-map/
http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/maps-3/milltown-grid-map/
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/
http://www.saintpatricksbelfast.org.uk/

There you go. .that should keep you busy for a while. ...please mail me if I can do anthing more to help you in your research.

Good luck

johnmc

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:49:44 AM »
 :hi: Belle-fast--Milltown need the year, date ,day, hour ,sex before they will even get the ledger down.
                 St Patricks will direct you to PRONI or the UHF.
                    Some family history sites still hold the old style records but you would have to read them in person
                             johnmc

belle_fast

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:29:24 PM »
Bread Basket & johnmc, thank you very, very much for that info.

Some new sources in there for me so thanks for that. I've just spent some time checking through the cemetery website there with no joy. What a labour of love the collection and listing of all those graves, fair play to whoever took that on.

I do have my Great Grandmother's date of death so will look to follow that up perhaps by calling into the Gatehouse at Milltown (I work nearby). I don't mind paying a fee if it's reasonable.

Thanks again, your help is invaluable.

brendanheading

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
Give them a ring beforehand - you just need the name and the date of death. They will charge 20 in exchange for the grave details.

Gill1

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:17:52 PM »
Just seeing this now.
 My Grandfather was Alfie Regan, son of Mary Ann and Frank Regan and brother of your Great Grandfather Jim! Alfie Regan married Hannah Craig and they had 3 sons, Robert (Roy ),  Alfie (Junior ) and Brendan. Alfie is my father.

johnmc

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:09:25 AM »
Hello Gill---a wee connection here?
               Hannah Craig was my cousin.
             One of my Aunt Sarah,s children along with
                  William, Mary , Jennie, Patrick, Nellie.
                                        johnmc

Gill1

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
Oh really -yes that is same family. So who was your mother then? My Granny Hannah's 10 year memory was just last week

belle_fast

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:51:22 PM »
Just seeing this now.
 My Grandfather was Alfie Regan, son of Mary Ann and Frank Regan and brother of your Great Grandfather Jim! Alfie Regan married Hannah Craig and they had 3 sons, Robert (Roy ),  Alfie (Junior ) and Brendan. Alfie is my father.

Hi Gill,

I love this forum, it's great finding long lost relatives! I know of your Uncle Roy as he keeps in contact with the family of his cousin Noel (RIP), Noel was my great uncle. Noel's oldest brother was another Jimmy (Seamus), my Granda.

Are you in Belfast? I've been researching that branch of the tree for some time so would love to learn more about the younger half of Frank & Mary Ann's children. I'd love to chat some more if you were ok with me sending you a private message?

Let me know if that's ok and I'll make contact.

Best wishes!

Gill1

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 02:40:26 PM »
Hi belle_fast are you still on this forum? Was hoping we could make contact.I'm looking into my grandfathers family,Alfie  Regan brother of your Great Grandfather Jimmy Regan?

CMcG

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »
October 1921: