Author Topic: Beersbridge Road. East Belfast  (Read 44787 times)

etobicoke

Re: Beersbridge Road. East Belfast
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2015, 08:40:22 AM »
There used to be a family that lived on Lord street many years ago , their last name  , Shannon , Billy and Margaret. This was around mid 60's . Does anyone know if they still live there?  I would like to get in touch with them if possible.  Margaret's maiden name was McMaster.

weenick

« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »
hi etobicoke, i think the billy and margaret shannon you are talking about lived in templemore street. If it is Billy died some years ago.

Alison6667

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
Don't suppose anyone remembers the name of the shop on the corner of Foxglove Street and Beersbridge Road in the 60's and early 70's.  There was another sweetshop a little further down the Beersbridge Road called Lockharts.
My Aunt used to live in Flora St so we used to play around the area all the time especially down by the river near the Platts - many years later I found out it was apparently Belfast slang for Plots (in other words allotments)!!  Did make me laugh.
I think it might have been Ralph's my partner used to live down there

dougpau

« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »
Grace Emmanuel was a girlfriend of mine for some time.  Tall with honey coloured skin and really beautiful.  She was a dancer and married the leader of Cliff Richards' Band in London.  She had a brother Rafhael.  As far as I knew her father was a surgeon and her mother an ex model.

kathy lewis

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »
i remember lord street.i was in the ledley boys club in the 60s.

I remember the disco in the Lesley hall' late 60's early 70's .  Those were the days.

kathy lewis

« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »

I remember the disco in the Lesley hall' late 60's early 70's .  Those were the days.

That should have read Ledley hall not Lesley lol.

Andi

« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »
A poster on RootsWeb is researching the family tree for James Glover from East Belfast. He did preach in Belfast prior to, during, and after WW2. He was referred to as Pastor Glover. The poster has failed to establish the church that Pastor Glover attended. It's known that he lived in the Ballymacarrett district and had a pony drawn mobile vegetable business . Pastor Glover was born in 1870 and died in 1953. At the time of his death he was living in the Sydenham district.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CHURCHMEN-UK/2003-01/1043610806

Jame Glover, born Omagh 1867.  I believe he was Episcopalian.  He was also a Carter (fruit/Veg) and he did indeed live in Sydenham area when he died.

William Shaw

« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2018, 05:57:49 AM »

I remember grace Emmanuel her father was my doctor for many years

I know your posting was quite a while ago but couldn't resist sending you a message.  Maybe you are still on here.  Dr Emmanuel was my family doctor right up to 1957.  My Aunt Betty worked for him when he was in Ravenscroft Ave.  As far as I remember he originally was at Bloomfield Ave and Newtownards road
in an office upstairs. He wasn't all that far from away Gerry McAteer's fruit shop. When he started first he used to give a shilling if you signed up for his panel.   People were afraid of him because of the tribal scars on his face. 
Once he became known he became very popular.    [/color][/font][/size]
As well as being a good doctor to me we became friends and kept in touch for a long time after I left Belfast for Canada in February of 1957.   I'm getting up there in the age bracket and not sure if I spelt or even have the right name of the fruit/greengrocer right.   I lived at #11 East bread Street.  Name is William Shaw.  Good morning for Toronto.  Local time 12:58 a.m.

C Grimshaw

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2021, 04:15:07 PM »
Hi Philip
My mum was reminiscing and was talking about Samuel Livingston I have a pic of the two of them together but not sure if itís the same family, though mum seems to think so. Happy to share pic if it is.