Author Topic: Beersbridge Road. East Belfast  (Read 44788 times)

eddiec

Re: Beersbridge Road. East Belfast
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
its it true the conn o'neil bridge was the oldest in Belfast hence the connswater river, or the connsy as locals refer to it as? ???

The river is called the Conn's water supposedly after Conn O'Neill the bridge is the connswater bridge
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

eddiec

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 04:00:21 PM »
the owen o cork mill on the beersbridge was between steens row and east bread st .

I remember working in one of the clothing factories in the mills over 20 years ago when in a previous life I worked as a decorator. Boy was it dirty...  :) all the dirt and fluff etc from the clothes ended up on the top of cupboards, clothing racks etc and I dont know what living in it... I had to scrub and wash my clothes on getting home every night  :)
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 04:22:25 PM »
Here's a great interview with Bobby Cosgrove who was raised in the Beersbridge Road - Holywood Arches area. Among the people he mentions are Pastor Joe Glover and his wife Martha, Horse Cunningham, Willy John Stephenson, Minnie Cooper and George Best. 

ulsterstan

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 05:36:31 AM »
40,S and early 50,s my two uncles had chippers on the Beersbridge Rd, Uncle James McIlwains was next to the Co-oP shops corner of Clara Ave and it was  known as  ''Annies'' as my mum managed the shop and uncle Davy McIlwain had a chipper opposite East Bread St.  my mum also worked there too,we had many celebs. come into those shops , Dr. Paisley and Eileen, many footballers from around Bloomfield , big Bap Dunlop the big peeler who also played right back for the Glens in the early 50,s and many other sports figures . Then about 1960 Uncle Davy opened a pet shop top of Dee St. till they went to Australia in 63.
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 01:47:59 PM »
Hiya Stan,

Give us all the gen on what Dr Paisley and Eileen purchased from the chippie. If we get this sort of information before a biographer writes a book on Dr Paisley and Eileen the biographer should mention Belfast Forum as a source for that piece of information. Little details like this are useful to biographers and help to sell books. Did they bring the children in to the shop too? What did they want for their supper.

Chris   

ulsterstan

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
Well  Christopher as I was just a wee lad  and it,s been a long time  I know Dr. Paisley loved  Annies pastie suppers  they were considered the best in the area but not sure what Mrs. Paisley  dined on  or if he was married to her at that time .
Stan Sloan.

btheboot

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 12:29:00 AM »
this is for ulster stan.el cid is my sister,many times when i was a kid i was in the pet shop  in dee street, i called  him uncle, he used to bring a parrot to my grannies in cable street, annie macilwaine was my grannies sister ,the parrot had a number of sayinggs concerning fornication and the pope. was in the chippers many times.

Christopher

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 12:40:26 AM »
Yer joking :D A bigotted parrot ??? Whatever next ???

btheboot

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 02:19:51 AM »
it was only a parrot,had a very small brain, repeated was it was taught, was not bigoted he  loved all other parrots, taught to say those things like many politicians

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 03:01:49 AM »
Ah! An extremely logical explanation there btheboot :D
Some politicians are a bit like parrots   in this part of the world they come in a similar colour scheme :D
Do you think it would be acceptable these days to call a parrot Polly or would that be POL(L)itically incorrect?

ulsterstan

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 04:34:35 AM »
I like that Christopher  orange and green  most politicans are for the birds anyway ,too bad some of them can't be voted out as fast as they get in especially when we find out they never have kept any of their promises.
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 09:53:44 AM »
" Now if you had to choose one of the eight records to take to your Desert Island, which one would it be ??? "

"Oh! That's easy. "Broken Promises" :D

orangelil

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 12:03:27 AM »
the Owen O Cork Mill must have been at 288 Beersbridge Road. There were a lot of business there in 1987. The directory lists eleven of them including a couple of textile places.
The Owen O Cork mill is still there.  It's used for various purposes.  I know a couple of theatre companies have stores in it.  I also believe it is being turned into apartments (as if we need more) in the near future..
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

Christopher

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 12:12:11 AM »
Yuppies and old people whose kids have left home like apartments.
People with families prefer living in the suburbs .. in houses with gardens.

ulsterstan

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 01:08:33 AM »
Anyone know the big house that was opposite East Bread St. on the Beersbridge Rd.     McMurtry was the name  I think he was a contractor ,it was in  between Thompson,s bakery  and the other wee shops down to Greenville Ave.
Stan Sloan.