Author Topic: Beersbridge Road. East Belfast  (Read 44786 times)

Christopher

Re: Beersbridge Road. East Belfast
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 01:17:21 AM »
What year would that have been Stan?

ulsterstan

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 04:26:53 AM »
McMurtrys was there in the 50,s and when I was back in 84 the house was there but don't know if they still lived there. Behind Thompson,s Bakery was the Presho,s big house ,used to go in there often as we played with the grandkids , guess the address would be Clara Ave ,the back door of our chipper was facing it ,the back door but actually it was on the side into Clara.
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 02:36:16 AM »
Anyone know the big house that was opposite East Bread St. on the Beersbridge Rd.     McMurtry was the name  I think he was a contractor ,it was in  between Thompson,s bakery  and the other wee shops down to Greenville Ave.

Hiya Stan, sorry for the delay here.

The 1960 directory shows that R. McMurtry lived at 349, Beersbridge Road. Thompson's Bakery was on one side of his home and the Ulster Valet Dry Cleaning Service was on the other side. Mr McMurtry was a weighmaster. The other shops you mention were ...
345 Miss Lily Freeman, draper
343 Miss Jean Sloan
341 John Madill, butcher
339 James McIlwain, supper saloon
337 Stewart and Johnston, fruiterers

ulsterstan

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 03:45:50 AM »
Right on Christopher  the very ones then my uncles Davy and James McIlwain owned the chipper at 355 well known as Annie,s chipper as my mum managed it   and we lived above it in the early 50,s.  past Clara Ave next to the Co-oP, thanks, Stan.
Stan Sloan.

giannineo

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 09:48:58 AM »
Ah,Balloo House.I only ate there once circa 1982.Itwas just after Christmas and there was snow on the ground.Enter restaurant-freezing....the heating was KAPUT.We ate with our coats on  but nevertheless had a great evening.A former colleague from the Housing Trust worked there part time and I asked about her.....smart move. "you know Josephine Love"....hee,hee,free drinks all round several times.The staff did their best to compensate for the cold and we had a memorable night.
         Sorry,nothing to do with Beersbridge but had to spout off. :)

Mooncoin

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 08:56:36 AM »
My Gran worked in the Owen O'Cork mill in the 30s its now being used for business units as far as I know.  Funny this thread can up, my gran recently moved house and we came across an old clock in the roof space.  Gran said it came from the Owen O'cork mill which was the first I'd heard of it, the clock is now mine and its nice to have a little bit of history to keep.

Wendl

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »
Anyone know the big house that was opposite East Bread St. on the Beersbridge Rd.     McMurtry was the name  I think he was a contractor ,it was in  between Thompson,s bakery  and the other wee shops down to Greenville Ave.

I had rellies who lived at 51 Eastbread Street....the family of Robert and Caroline Crowe
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

SAM

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »
there used to be a dance, in owen o cork mill.

Christopher

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
Bloomfield Road runs off the Beersbridge www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,5584.0.html

stig5882

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »
The Owen O Cork mill is still there.  It's used for various purposes.  I know a couple of theatre companies have stores in it.  I also believe it is being turned into apartments (as if we need more) in the near future..
  I worked in the Owen O'Cork Mill when I left school in 1975. The company was on the first floor...Kinnairds Ltd. made dressing gowns & beach wear made from candlewick. Garments were made in Portadown and sorted & packed in the mill. second floor then was a shirt factory my 2 sisters worked in for a while called Suker's.  The paint place on the ground floor was turned into an auctioneer's and was still operating the last I knew  :-\
family names... Kelly, Connor

bnf

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 01:18:55 AM »
its it true the conn o'neil bridge was the oldest in Belfast hence the connswater river, or the connsy as locals refer to it as? ???

it's true the bridge is a very old 'pack' bridge, but the locals called the
river beechy.
bnf.
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

bnf

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 01:25:40 AM »
mcmurtrys lived between greenville road and clara avenue; one of the daughters was maureen. the reason you thought he was a building contractor is that davy smith had
a builder's yard behind their house in lower clara crescent.
bnf.
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

ulsterstan

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 05:09:17 PM »
RIGHT ,NOW I REMEMBER  SMITH,S      GOOD LOOKING GIRLS  THE McMURTREY,S.            Stan.
Stan Sloan.

craigyroo

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
  I worked in the Owen O'Cork Mill when I left school in 1975. The company was on the first floor...Kinnairds Ltd. made dressing gowns & beach wear made from candlewick. Garments were made in Portadown and sorted & packed in the mill. second floor then was a shirt factory my 2 sisters worked in for a while called Suker's.  The paint place on the ground floor was turned into an auctioneer's and was still operating the last I knew  :-\

My Mum lives on the b' brigde road , there is def. an auctionerers my wee bro bro goes there twice a week .

Turkeyone

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 11:54:50 PM »
My wifes grandmother worked for Belfast Flax and Jute Co., Owen O'Cork Mills
Started work in 1899 aged 13 years as a Flax Spinner
Rod