Author Topic: Belfast Mineral Water Compamy,York Street  (Read 8778 times)

waterman

Belfast Mineral Water Compamy,York Street
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:21:35 PM »
I live near to Killyman which is just out side Dungannon. I was clearing up the lane way to the side of my property when I unearthed a bottle with the molded inscription "Belfast Mineral Water Company, York Street. Can any of you history buffs shed any light on this company.

Christopher

Re: Belfast Mineral Water Compamy,York Street
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »
Hi Waterman,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Belfast Mineral Water Company isn't listed in the 1960 directory.

A search through older directories might reveal something.

Christopher

waterman

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:56:35 PM »
 :) many thanks, but Im not one for trawling through directories. just thought if I stuck it out there someone would have an answer.

teap

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:38:55 AM »
I live near to Killyman which is just out side Dungannon. I was clearing up the lane way to the side of my property when I unearthed a bottle with the molded inscription "Belfast Mineral Water Company, York Street. Can any of you history buffs shed any light on this company.

Hi Waterman My grt grt grt Granda John Mullen came from Killyman he was born in 1831, he moved up to Belfast and married my grt grt grt Grandmother Elizabeth Magilton around 1850, do you know any Mullens in your area?  or Magiltons (as i dont know where Eliza was from)

Colette

waterman

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
 :)It would appear that on or about the out break of WW2 many people move way iether to work or fight. Some of your relitives moved nearer the town of Dungannon and the village of Moygashel in order to work for the war effort. There is still a Freda Mullen living in Espy Park at Laghey Corner. I don't know the lady personally or her history. However, St.Andrews CI on Trewmount Rd would be worth a visit as the grave yard served both communities and there are certinly Mullens burried here. The last time I came across the name Magilton was in Co.Monaghan. Sorry I can't be of any further help.

teap

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 02:23:39 AM »
thank you waterman you have been a great help  :-*

Colette

chuck2buck

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »
 The SanFrancisco Bay area has a lot of Bars and Cafes With wall clocks advertising Belfast mineral water though I`ve never seen any bottles for sale anywhere. there`s got to be a connection somewhere, I`ll ask around though when I`m in a bar the last thing I think about is water!!!

waterman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »
 :) Many thanks Chuck. It appears to be an old company long since gone, perhaps pre-WW11 or earlier. I,m surprised no one in Belfast has been able to help. Look forward to hearing from you.

beegee

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 12:30:02 AM »
I was born bred and buttered     born 1926 in the  York st area and I cant recall any Mineral Water company or factory in York st during my time

Steve

Re: Belfast Mineral Water Company,York Street
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:53:37 PM »
Hi

some of my family were from Mineral Street, York Road and as a lad I asked them where the name originated from and was told there was once a lemonade factory there.

I recall being told the factory goes back to at least the 20s and possibly well before that.

Perhaps the York Road was a part of the York St company?

beegee

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 12:10:13 AM »
and possibly that York St ran right through to the ShoreRoad in bygone days??? an old Belfast map might have that clue.

or maybe

the factory was in Mineral St and the Companies office in York St?

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 01:28:48 AM »
Mineral Water comes under "A" in the Professions and Trades section of the 1960 directory ... Aerated and Mineral Waters. It may come under the same section in
earlier directories. The Belfast Mineral Water Co. must have been quite a large one
if they were doing business in San Francisco.

Christopher

chuck2buck

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 07:48:26 PM »
 This Belfast mineral water co is a contender for history detective. So far not too many people have much info on it from Belfast or San Fran. I came across another Belfast water co clock in Fairfax Ca, with the date , since 1877 , printed on it. The woman who runs the cafe knows very little about where the company hails from though she says she remembers the mineral water being sold back east coast when she was a little girl.S o if it was a nationwide distribution it must have been a fair size co and somebody must know something we`re all dying to know.I`ll light the Sherlock Holmes pipe here take the ceremonial toke and see what happens. Later!!! chuck

Christopher

Re: Belfast Mineral Water Company, York Street
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 10:34:03 PM »
Thanks for your post chuck2buck,

This one has me beaten at the moment. I find it strange that the date on the clock says "since 1877" and yet there's no mention of the Belfast Mineral Water Company in the 1880 Belfast and Ulster directory on the Lennon Wylie website.

Christopher

waterman

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 04:59:13 PM »
I was born bred and buttered     born 1926 in the  York st area and I cant recall any Mineral Water company or factory in York st during my time

My fault, the address on the bottle is york road