Author Topic: Belfast Mineral Water Compamy,York Street  (Read 8792 times)

waterman

Re: Belfast Mineral Water Company,York Street
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
Hi

some of my family were from Mineral Street, York Road and as a lad I asked them where the name originated from and was told there was once a lemonade factory there.

I recall being told the factory goes back to at least the 20s and possibly well before that.

Perhaps the York Road was a part of the York St company?

I think you are on the right track, I also think that the Dungannon Meneral water ompany was part of the same firm before they were both taken over by C&C, could be wrong.

waterman

Re: Belfast Mineral Water Compamy,York Street
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »
Mineral Water comes under "A" in the Professions and Trades section of the 1960 directory ... Aerated and Mineral Waters. It may come under the same section in
earlier directories. The Belfast Mineral Water Co. must have been quite a large one
if they were doing business in San Francisco.

Christopher

Thanks for the input. I did come across a listing for them in the Old Pre-War telephone Dir for NI. They were then listed as York Rd.

waterman

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 05:09:33 PM »
The SanFrancisco Bay area has a lot of Bars and Cafes With wall clocks advertising Belfast mineral water though I`ve never seen any bottles for sale anywhere. there`s got to be a connection somewhere, I`ll ask around though when I`m in a bar the last thing I think about is water!!!
Chuck my friend, I don,t wish ti send you on a wild goose chase, but the "Belfast Meneral Water Co", that you have in mind may actually be a US company from a small town in the states. Which one I don't know.

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 06:03:29 PM »
Chuck my friend, I don,t wish ti send you on a wild goose chase, but the "Belfast Meneral Water Co", that you have in mind may actually be a US company from a small town in the states. Which one I don't know.

That thought struck me too waterman. If the York Street business had been Belfast Mineral Water Co., Ltd I could see  the possibility of them exporting their product but as it has only been described as a company I'm not so certain. I'm wondering if they were taken over by a business that was exporting to America and the name was retained. 

chuck2buck

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 09:21:36 PM »
waterman/chris, I was able to dig up somemore info on this. There is another Belfast in Maine usa.No mention of a bottled water company though. The place was discovered some 200 odd years ago by a John Mitchel from a small town in New hampshire called London derry would you believe. The founding fathers wanted to call this new location by that name but a `strong willed` fellow as the story goes, called James Miller objected and wanted to call the town Belfast after his place of birth in Ireland. They agreed to decide on a coin toss and Miller won .                                          maybe they should do that up in the guild hall. Meanwhile back at the sparkling water topic it seems a gentleman called Dr Thomas Cantrell of Cantrell and Cochran fame patented in 1877, same date as the clock I saw, Club Soda, or CnC super carbonated beverage. It was presumably marketed for up scale gentlemens  clubs at first then general distribution.CnC in Ireland then is the beginning of the story how Belfast came in to it is another thing. Did they have a plant on York rd.?. They have one in Dublin I believe. Later, Chuck.

RabRow

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
There was a McLennans Mineral Water Company on the Donegall Rd,beside the Jampot. :) Off topic a bit I know.

But anyway I read in A History of Ulster that Ross's Mineral Water Company wouldn't supply their products to the public houses. I think they were a Christian family and were against the 'demon drink'. :)

Christopher

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 08:32:18 PM »
That's one way to let competitors make their fortunes 8)

I'm certain some publicans were, and still are, good Christians.

RabRow

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
That's one way to let competitors make their fortunes 8)

I'm certain some publicans were, and still are, good Christians.

Right about the compeitors. Can't see to many taking that sort of stand in to-days cut-throat business world.

Don't know about Christians. Some took the view that bookies,bars and such like were playing on people's weakness's

I think Rowntree,Cadbury and such like were Quakers and turned their business acumen to making chocolate.

Anyway glad they didn't get to close the bars. :) O0

eric

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »

N.Ireland Telephone Directory for 1925
Belfast Mineral Water Co. Ltd

Londonderry 420 - Glen Road
Belfast Fortwilliam 33 - York Road
Portadown 67 - Obin Road[

beegee

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 11:14:29 PM »
1925? Fortwilliam in York road? well where does the Shore Road,  the continuance of York Road, commence?

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 05:48:56 AM »
Hi eric,

Welcome to the Forum.

Does the 1925 directory have a section at the back for Limited Liability Companies?
If so have a look to see if the names of the directors of the Belfast Mineral Water Co. Ltd are listed.

beegee, I think Shore Road starts fairly close to Fortwilliam.

Christopher

eric

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 09:14:14 AM »

Fortwilliam refers to the Telephone exchange.
The Telephone Directory would not contain info on directors etc.

Christopher

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »
Fortwilliam refers to the Telephone exchange.
The Telephone Directory would not contain info on directors etc.

Sorry about that ... I failed to notice it was info from the Phone directory.

waterman

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
 :) Thanks to everyone for your help in this matter, and also allow me to wish you all a very happy new year.
The one thing that York St, York Rd and shore Rd have in common is the railway station. Perhaps this may open up another avenue of investigation. Just a thought

elizabethtoman1

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
my mother-in - law has just found a very old looking bottle with a round bottom so it can only lie on its side.  The bottle reads Belfast Mineral Water Ltd Co. York Road.  Is this any help to this conversation?