Author Topic: Great War Souvenir  (Read 16762 times)

JA

Re: Great War Souvenir
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 03:12:13 AM »

check out antiques stores
show them your picture. :)

I am going to take Dommo's advice and get in touch with the Ontario Museum to see if there is a way to preserve the card. My wife suggested years ago about framing it. Maybe that would have helped somehow. Will see what happens.

chi

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 03:25:10 AM »

I am going to take Dommo's advice and get in touch with the Ontario Museum to see if there is a way to preserve the card. My wife suggested years ago about framing it. Maybe that would have helped somehow. Will see what happens.

Best of luck with your search.  O0

It is a beautiful keep sake and
should have a special place to
hang :) :-*

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

JA

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 03:27:39 AM »
JA

It would definitely be worthwhile following Dommo's advice. As they were fairly fragile most haven't withstood the ravages of time or ignorance.
I wasn't very old when my granny died but I do remember that she had a shoebox of very similar cards. Her's I'm sure were from France.

They were I'm afraid like most of her possessions dumped in the bin on her death.

so sad.

sg

sg, You are right about things in boxes in the old days. It was hard to save these things if you were far away and most things as you said were just thrown out. When my dad died I was able to send a few things back over to Canada   one of my grand-ma's side table,an old oil lamp. The custom duties on the items were absolutely ridiculous. I could have almost furnished our house for the same amount at the time.

JA

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 03:29:28 AM »
Best of luck with your search.  O0

It is a beautiful keep sake and
should have a special place to
hang :) :-*

Thanks chi.  :drinks:

JA

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »
An up-date on my grand-dad's world war 1 card sent to my dad in November 1918. The card spent 4 months at the London museum for restoration and special glass framing. The card should last for many years to come.

Noel P

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 06:39:12 PM »

Hi JA

I found one too, in my grandmother's papers. It is dated May 1917 and is from France to Belfast from my Great Grandfather (John Legg) to my great grandmother, Mary Legg in Matlock street.

Going through some of my dad's stuff (that will of interest to my sons when I am gone), I came across this card sent to him from my grand-dad at the war's end. I wonder how many more of this type of card are still around.

My grandfather was in a hospital in Belgium.

The wee card that came with the large one: Thinking of you.

To Hughie, From Father.

JA

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 12:22:40 AM »
Hi JA

I found one too, in my grandmother's papers. It is dated May 1917 and is from France to Belfast from my Great Grandfather (John Legg) to my great grandmother, Mary Legg in Matlock street.

Hi Noel, Thanks for posting the photo of your card. They really are nice keepsakes. It's hard to believe yours is 100 years old already and mine will be 100 next month! :)

Noel P

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 12:40:04 AM »
Thanks JA! This is a photo of his regiment (in France, I presume). My great grandfather John is mid row 3rd from right. He sent the card back to Belfast. I love the glass frame you've had made for yours. I probably should try that too to help it survive.

JA

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 01:33:06 AM »
Thanks JA! This is a photo of his regiment (in France, I presume). My great grandfather John is mid row 3rd from right. He sent the card back to Belfast. I love the glass frame you've had made for yours. I probably should try that too to help it survive.

Noel, That is a very clear photo. What regiment was your great-grand-dad in? My grand-dad was in the Royal Irish Rifles …. he saw duty in India and the Boer War. He was in the Labour Corps during the Great War.

Noel P

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »

Hi JA,

I was surprised it was as clear too.

I "think" it is the Royal Irish Rifles too, but I'm no expert and I'm basing it on trying to zoom in a bit on badges and the fact that somebody told me most Belfast men were in the R.I.R. I only know his (my great grandfather's) name; birth/death dates; his wife's name and the handkerchief card (more basic version of yours) addressed to 30 Matlock St.

I do remember my granny (his daughter's) house in 14 Matlock street. I found the photos and handkerchiefs etc among her papers. There was another cloth handkerchief (not on card) which I'll post here, when I get an image. The only reason I'm presuming this photo might be France is because the card came from there too. There was a rumour he'd been injured/gassed but I have no proof of that. I know he died after the war.

Good time to remember them with the 100 anniversary coming up.

Noel

JA

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »
Hi JA,

I was surprised it was as clear too.

I "think" it is the Royal Irish Rifles too, but I'm no expert and I'm basing it on trying to zoom in a bit on badges and the fact that somebody told me most Belfast men were in the R.I.R. I only know his (my great grandfather's) name; birth/death dates; his wife's name and the handkerchief card (more basic version of yours) addressed to 30 Matlock St.

I do remember my granny (his daughter's) house in 14 Matlock street. I found the photos and handkerchiefs etc among her papers. There was another cloth handkerchief (not on card) which I'll post here, when I get an image. The only reason I'm presuming this photo might be France is because the card came from there too. There was a rumour he'd been injured/gassed but I have no proof of that. I know he died after the war.

Good time to remember them with the 100 anniversary coming up.

Noel

Noel, Here is a photo of my grand-dad taken in India 1896 and another from the Great War. They are not as clear as your photo. Mine also died (1923) because of damage to his lungs. Where was/is  Matlock Street?

Noel P

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »

Good photos JA!

Matlock street was off the Shankhill road in Belfast. Demolished in 60s.

JA

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »
Good photos JA!

Matlock street was off the Shankhill road in Belfast. Demolished in 60s.

I grew up off the Shankill but I don't remember Matlock St. or I have forgotten!

Noel P

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »

Hi JA,

I knew how to get to Matlock street (as a boy). I didn't live there but could walk from the main Shankill road to get there. I know I started off by going along Craven street. It was knocked down along with many others (late 60s?).

According to another post on this Forum a couple of years ago:- "[font=]Long gone in redevelopment, but Matlock Street ran south-north between Foreman Street to the south and Conlon Street to the north, the two latter running west-east off Old Lodge Road.  [/font][font=&amp]
[font=&amp]
[font=]On google maps find yourself Malvern Street, rising north from the Shankill Road, work your way up to the Hammer playing fields and look at the area just to the east defined by names starting with 'Hopewell' - that's roughly the area where Matlock Street was."[/font]
[font=]
[/font]
[font=]Maybe this'll give you some idea.[/font]
[font=]
[/font]
[font=]Cheers![/font]
[font=]
[/font]
[font=]Noel[/font]

JA

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
Hi JA,

I knew how to get to Matlock street (as a boy). I didn't live there but could walk from the main Shankill road to get there. I know I started off by going along Craven street. It was knocked down along with many others (late 60s?).

According to another post on this Forum a couple of years ago:- "[font=]Long gone in redevelopment, but Matlock Street ran south-north between Foreman Street to the south and Conlon Street to the north, the two latter running west-east off Old Lodge Road.  [/font][font=&amp]
[font=&amp]
[font=]On google maps find yourself Malvern Street, rising north from the Shankill Road, work your way up to the Hammer playing fields and look at the area just to the east defined by names starting with 'Hopewell' - that's roughly the area where Matlock Street was."[/font]
[font=]
[/font]
[font=]Maybe this'll give you some idea.[/font]
[font=]
[/font]
[font=]Cheers![/font]
[font=]
[/font]
[font=]Noel[/font]

Hi Noel, Thanks for the map information. Now I remember the area where your family lived and the Hammer area :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy