Author Topic: Festival of Britain 1951  (Read 3751 times)

Christopher

Festival of Britain 1951
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:27:03 AM »
Who remembers the Festival of Britain in 1951 ??? Some events were held in new buildings on the right side of Montgomery Road if you were heading towards the Cregagh Road. I have very vague memories of the Ulster Farm and Factory Exhibition held between 1st June and 31st August. I remember people were excited that so many items produced in the north of Ireland could be brought together in the one place so that everyone could see them and learn all about them. Here are pictures of a couple of posters printed for the Festival by Belfast printers, William W. Cleland Ltd

naumai

Re: Festival of Britain 1951
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
I remember the festival of britain .we used to go down daddy winkers lane and catch smicks and frogs and tadploes. then they [censored] up the whole place by building all over it. It seemed  so strange as  I think it was the first new buildings I had seen in my life.

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
Some of those brand new buildings had little moats round them.
I'm not certain if they went all the way round or only partially. Do you remember them naumai?

naumai

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:47:52 PM »
yes I remember the little moats,at least thats what I  thought they were at the time.  now that I am a hell of a lot older and a little bit wiser ,the [moats]were the little streams that ran hrough the area channelled into concrete culverts.

rosiejane

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:44:51 PM »
Here a picture of me at Alanbrook Road in front of one of the buildings opened at the Festival of Britain.  Hopefully you can see the water, which was a bit more than a moat, and I can remember they had 'dancing fountains' there with coloured lights!  This building is still there today and is a Russell's Cellar wine outlet, their coffee shop and offices.

By the way, I am the 'guerney' looking one on the right - my second cousin Dorothy is with me.  On most photos at this age I usually stuck out my tongue!

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:54:29 PM »
Hiya rosiejane, have you passed the "guerney" stage ??? Do you still stick your tongue out ???

rosiejane

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 05:04:33 PM »
Christopher -

Only when I don't like the look of the photographer!  :P  ;)