Author Topic: Eglinton Bakery.  (Read 1236 times)

cocogerm

Eglinton Bakery.
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
Hope that topic heading is the correct spelling!! This bakery was owned by the Davidson family and was on either the Malone or Lisburn road (think it was the former). Does anyone know where it was exactly and what happened to it?

chink

Re: Eglinton Bakery.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
put in inglis bakery in the search bar   hope you will find what you are looking for
   good luck

cocogerm

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
Thanks Chink - not the same place/business. I had/have a cousin called Jimmy Davidson who wrote a history about the bakery but he seems to have vanished off the face of Belfast!

chink

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
sorry about that   but englinton bakery was mentioned  someone bound to help you   good luck

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
Takes a while to load, but this old newspaper article includes several mentions of the Eglinton Bakery:

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/nostalgia/the-way-we-were-minister-is-forced-to-intervene-as-bread-strike-spreads-across-ulster-1-5751942

Also, look at reply #223 on this thread:

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17682.210

This excerpt from the 1943 Belfast street directory for the Lisburn Road is courtesy of the Lennon Wylie website:

37. Maginnis, Miss
      Eglinton Bakery Ltd. T.N.: 26901
39. Mitchell, John, tram driver
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Dub

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:07:03 AM »
Hi Cocogerm, I have a copy of James Cousins book " Our Daily Bread" It was printed by Colourpoint books 2004,  Jubilee Business Park, 21 Jublilee Road , Newtownards,       telephone 028 9182 0505. Maybe they could get you a copy.
                                                                                               All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

Dub

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »
Sorry it should be your cousin, James Davidson's book.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

cocogerm

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
[size=-1]Thanks DUB and CMcG for your contribution.
Re: James Davidson - found he was the chairman of the East Belfast Historical Society from 2005 - 2007 but although I sent them an enquiry as to his whereabouts I have had no reply to date, they probably do not know any more that us the family. Onward and upward as they say.
[/size]

denis randell

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »
cocogerm The Eglington Bakery was down the second entry on the Lisburn rd past Sandy row. It was bought over by Andrews flour mill in the late 50s early 60s and moved to Springfield parade off the Springfield road where it got the Nickname The Spring it was there until the 70s was bought over by Ormeau bakery and they closed it. hope  this helps you

parky

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 03:48:37 PM »
Hello cocogerm. We are related. Jimmy Davidson is/was a cousin of mine. His father was my uncle Willie his wife was called Daisy. I have fond memories of the old Lisburn Rd bakery. Moving to the Springwell Rd was a disaster. It all started in Eglinton Street of the Antrim Road. What year??? Do you know the name Carl Hendrix? Does Ard Na Car ring a bell?

Yours Parky