Author Topic: Mountcollyer Secondary School. North Belfast  (Read 39940 times)

Dark Lady

Re: Mountcollyer Secondary School. North Belfast
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
Hi I didn't go to said mentioned school myself, tho believe cousin of mine may have,(Marshal) I remember corner shop top of Clanchatten street, Greens was the other wee shop next street,I enjoyed reading wee messages, brought back many a happy memory & many smiles, :P

jimn

« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
Done my Qualifying Exam 11+ in Mountcollyer  Did anyone know Myrtle Patterson of Osborne St she attended Mountcollyer?

belfastlough

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
I was at Mountcollyer from 64-69. My brother, Trevor, was there too but 3 years behind me.
The names of my friends were Billy Walker, Cathy McCann, Alan and Jean Hopper, Terry Gordon, Neil Haugh, Barry McFadden, Sammy McLean. There are many more but time has faded my memory.
The teachers who helped me the most were Mr Hale, Mr Black, Mr Stewart, Mr King, Mr McCartney, Mr Kennedy, Mrs Nichol, and most of all Mr Shanks to whom I will always be grateful.
It would be really nice to hear from anyone who remembers me. I live north of Aberdeen now and donít get back often enough. I make up by listening to U105 most days.
Howard Boyd.

Willty

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »
Howard, I've just seen this topic and I brings back some memories.
I was in the MS class and remember Billy Walker,Barry McFadden & Sam McClean and the teachers you mentioned.
Sam was the gunman that shot Joe Shaw in the North Star bar during the UWC strike.

belfastlough

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
Hello Will, It was good to hear from you. Been 50 years since we were at MS. I donít get back much anymore so itís nice to get news. I doubt thereíll be another reunion but if there was Iíd go.

Willty

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »
Howard,glad to get a reply to my reply,55 years sinc I left,I haven't been in contact with any classmates for years ,what with the troubles and regeneration the area round Mountie is all changed.
Did you live in the upper Cavehill Rd.?
Our class had app. 34 boys,I can't recall many off them,I will write down as many as I can and reply to you.

belfastlough

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2020, 09:13:40 PM »
Hi again Will,

Your memory is much better than mine for sure! We stayed in Glengormley for my first few years at Mountie and after that we moved to my grannies old house in Indiana Avenue at the top of the Waterworks. Iíd heard that Barry McFadden was in the RUC  but thatís all I know about classmates. Weíre all getting on a bit now.

Willty

« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2020, 08:33:13 PM »
belfastlough,the classmates I recall,George Bell,Trevor Killen,Jim Shaw,Joe Shaw,Tom Harrison,Billy Tidy,Ricky Breen,Richard Green and John Lavery,Suchan Singh all others I can't recall,perhaps some other classmates can add to this list

belfastlough

« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2020, 06:02:57 AM »
Alan Hopper, Terry Gordon, Neil Haugh.

Billy Smith

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2021, 09:55:59 PM »
Hi,
I went to Mountie between 1962 -!966 and knew Geordie Power well. He was a music teacher before becoming headmaster, I believe. Not great memories for me as when I got to see him it was usually because I was in trouble. He suspended me in 66 for having long hair along with several other members of my class, so we adjourned to Alexandra park to spend the day messing about before getting haircuts and being allowed back in. Anyone remember Wibur King  ( Maths) or Shanksie ( English and PE)

Billy Smith

« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2021, 10:14:25 PM »

Hello I think I started mountcollyer in 1966 . Geordie power was headmaster when I started . I remember wee Jimmy Tom science teacher. Joe Black metalwork woodwork I'm sure he was a Christian though he didn't say . Matt McCartney looked like Jack palance the actor taught geography and history . Rosco Mr. Kennedy the art teacher . Dickie Henderson in the portacabin . Shanksy PE teacher and child abuser liked to smack [censored] with anything e could get his hands on a real pervert . I was glad to get out of that place .

belfastlough

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2021, 06:26:25 AM »
Think I started in 1963 and left in Dec 1969 to join the Merchant Navy.
I remember all those teachers well. Also a few more...Mr Stewart-Mathmatics, Mrs
Nichol-English, Mr Thom-Science, Mr Martin-Science, and Mr Hale-Woidwork, he passed away very suddenly.
In my early days a James Bond car was brought in for us to look at.
Another time a bullock escaped from an abattoir and got into the playground.