Author Topic: PURDYSBURN HOSPITAL BELFAST  (Read 3323 times)

welder

PURDYSBURN HOSPITAL BELFAST
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »

I have touched on the topic of this hospital previously.
I had an ancestor died in there 1940, not really so long ago, 74 years.

Twice I have wrote to the hospital asking for details as to A why he was in hospital and B the cause of his death at 66 years of age.

Both were replied to, I'm grateful for that. However both say no records exist, destroyed etc. Try GRONI see what it says on his death certificate. What it says on his death certificate would surely be what the hospital said? So to my mind a record must exist. Didn't they have micro fiche then?

Data protection are rigid on the issue.
Do I need to know? I've followed it as far as I can.

I apologise if I ought to have appended this post to a previous thread.
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

kraftcheese

Re: PURDYSBURN HOSPITAL BELFAST
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
Welder, I'm not expert at searching records, but try contacting PRONI (rather than GRONI) and inquire about MHC (Mental Health Commission) records.  Good luck.

P.S.  The hospital itself would definitely not have records from 1940.
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

welder

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »

Thank you Kraftcheese.
I wonder is the cause of death so important?
I know he and his wife are dead and where they are buried.
Perhaps I'm being morbid?

The only mention my Father made of his Father was to say "he was gassed and didn't last long"
I had assumed he meant gassed in WW1
But he was a dock labourer after that, so he must have been relatively fit for some years.
More than that I do not know.

tboy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »
It will eventually' come out' the happenings in Purdysburn. They were outside of any law and just done what they deemed fit.

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
GRONI (General Register Office Northern Ireland) hold death records going back to 1864.  You can order a certificate online - I ordered one earlier in the year - a full certificate posted out will cost 15.

Providing the full name and date of birth, date of death and location of death or last residence prior to entering hospital will help narrow the search.  Just remember the cause of death may not necessarily give what condition he suffered from.  For instance a relative of mine went into hospital suffering from dementia and the affects of a stroke yet the cuase of death was ultimately pneumonia.

See link below.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/order-a-death-certificate

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
Welder, I'm not expert at searching records, but try contacting PRONI (rather than GRONI) and inquire about MHC (Mental Health Commission) records.  Good luck.

P.S.  The hospital itself would definitely not have records from 1940.

I suspect that GRONI (General Register Office Northern Ireland) is correct - they hold the death records for all of NI since 1864.

kraftcheese

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 01:44:47 AM »
James, you're probably right.  I thought Welder wanted his grandfather's HOSPITAL records.    I had a look around and found this under PRONI:

What is available at PRONI? | Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
...General Sources 19th Century Records 18th Century Records 17th Century Records ...Valuation Records PRONI holds records for the valuation of every...Hospital Records PRONI only holds patient records from mental hospitals. These records are closed for 100 years...

Welder, another possibility is if a death is unexpected and/or unexplained, a postmortem would have to be done. 
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 04:33:28 AM »
David, in case you haven't already seen your ancestor's death certificate, I've pm'ed you the details on it.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

jacq.mcc

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 05:49:57 AM »
David, in case you haven't already seen your ancestor's death certificate, I've pm'ed you the details on it.

My Mother was a patient in Purdysburn (1970's) Grahame Clinic & I've drawn
a blank. Very Frustrating

welder

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 10:30:48 AM »

I suspect, without proof, that my GF, a former docker who had been ill for some time died 4/3/1940 in Putdeysburn as a result of ECT.
His wife, my GM, Sarah McLarnon, died within months.

They are both in the same grave.