Author Topic: Short Strand, Seaforde, Lowry, Kilmood, Sheriff, Vulcan, Chemical  (Read 5047 times)

Mary K. Rossi

I'm starting this post to get in touch with my friends and relatives from these streets.  I lived at 59 Seaforde St., until 1957.  I remember all of my friends and neighbors fondly and hope to hear from them soon.  I am Mary Kinsella.

jackiehillis

Re: Short Strand, Seaforde, Lowry, Kilmood, Sheriff, Vulcan, Chemical
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
I'm starting this post to get in touch with my friends and relatives from these streets.  I lived at 59 Seaforde St., until 1957.  I remember all of my friends and neighbors fondly and hope to hear from them soon.  I am Mary Kinsella.
Mary, I lived across the road. Josephine Street until 1956.
"Don't walk in front of me" "I  don't want you to lead " " Don't walk behind me" "I don't want you to follow" " Walk beside me and be my friend "

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
Was that the Newtonards?  It has been a while.

jackiehillis

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »
Was that the Newtonards?  It has been a while.
    Yes Mary. Lived there from 1945 - 1956. Then Canada.
"Don't walk in front of me" "I  don't want you to lead " " Don't walk behind me" "I don't want you to follow" " Walk beside me and be my friend "

chi

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 04:09:16 AM »
Was there a small picture
house near Vulcan St?
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
There is one more star in the heavens.  My brother, George Walsh, died November 28, 2014.  Much loved and will be missed forever.  God bless and keep you George.

To all the friends and neighbors.  Peace and love in the new year.

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
There was a picture house called the "Pop" (Popular).  It was on the Newtownards Rd.  around the corner from Vulcan and Seaforde St.  It had wooden bench seats and cost 3d on Saturdays when most kids went to see the big picture, the wee picture, the news and a cartoon.  What a bargain!

John Harvest

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
There was a picture house called the "Pop" (Popular).  It was on the Newtownards Rd.  around the corner from Vulcan and Seaforde St.  It had wooden bench seats and cost 3d on Saturdays when most kids went to see the big picture, the wee picture, the news and a cartoon.  What a bargain!
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=55463.0

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,35638.msg837583.html#msg837583

Mary K. Rossi

jackiehillis

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:14:53 PM »
Used to have a pastie supper at the Don ( I think that's  what it was called. ) then went to the Pop every Monday & Thursday night. My mother and I were usually the first in line. She loved her movies.

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
There was a fish and chip shop on the Newtownards at the end of Seaforde St.  I loved to go to the  Pop on Saturday afternoon.  It cost thru'pence.  For that you got the big picture, the wee picture, the Newsreal, a cartoon and the serial  The first Batman serial I ever saw was at the Pop.  Also, loved the Superman serial.  You had to come back every Saturday to see what happened next.  Mr. Harper from Lowry St. was the usher and he always looked grand in his uniform.  His wife is related to me through my grandmother, Mary Bradley-Kinsella.  They had a lovely daughter called Molly Harper.  We had a great little community there in those days.  Of course, I remember them through the eyes of a child. But I have very fond memories of it all.

alicekapusta

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »
All - quick post on behalf of my internet phobe mum, Alice Curley, born in 1944 in Belfast and moved over to England in 62 after the death of her parents. Weve just been looking around for Seaford St where she lived and we stumbled across this thread. She thinks she remembers a Mary Kinsella - so just a quick post to day hello!

Molly Burns

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 04:54:12 PM »
Hello, I know it has been some time since you asked about friends who lived on, or off, Seaforde Street.  I have only seen your comments now as I've looking for photographs of Lowry Street before it was knocked down, with those of Comber and Kilmood Street.  My name was Molly Harper, and I lived in Lowry Street.  I noticed that you were enquiring about Marie Burns, who also lived in Lowry Street.  If it is the same Marie, (she had sisters Anne and Theresa, and a brother Liam), sadly Marie died many years ago - at quite a young age.  If you do get this, I'd love to hear from you, and anyone else you may remember me.  I'd love to hear from Anne Flannagan, who lived in Sheriff Street.   

Every good wish.  Molly Burns nee Harper

Molly Burns

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »

I remember the 'PoP' cinema very well.  We used to watch Flash Gordon, and Superman flying through the air, and to our delight, we used to shout out that we could see the strings that were holding him up!! and we booed 'Baldy' Ming when he captured Flash.   Good days, and we didn't notice that we were sitting on wooden benches.  As I became a teenager, we would go to the Hippodrome, on Mountpottinger Road.  Then progressed to The Castle, on the Castlereagh Road.  Happy days indeed!

Molly Burns

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »
I knew a Curley family that lived in 20, Lowry Street, and remember an Alice Curley, and went to school - St. Matthew's Girls Covent School - with her.  I lived in 2, Lowry Street.