Author Topic: Shearer family  (Read 4439 times)

Kazzer19

Re: Shearer family
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 02:25:54 AM »
Thank you everyone I didn't expect this much help. I have a lot to follow up on. I'm hoping to come over in the new year, is there anything I shouldn't miss seeing or might help me ?

CMcG

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »

BTW, GRONI online has a marriage for a John Shearer to "Whilmina" Trueick on 18 April 1927, so that is possibly Wilhelmina in the second grave record.

Oops, must be getting old, Valkerr is right, though I got the right marriage with the strangely spelled ""Whilmina" and the date of 18 April 19127, the surname is indeed Cleland, not Trueick, I think I conflated this marriage with a Shearer / Trueick marriage in 1924.  Anyway, disregard Trueick.

he surname is Cleland
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

In this 1920s map, Carnalea Street is a bit left of centre.  Some surrounding reference points and street alignments remain today, so by comparing to a modern map, you should be able to get pretty close to where your father was born :

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »
Carnalea Street must have been hit hard by the Luftwaffe in WW2 (maybe Easter 1941?), while the 1943 Belfast street directory shows about 20 residents living there (including John A. Shearer at no. 36), it also shows the following:

Carnalea Street

1-27. Vacant
51-57. Vacant ground
2-24. Vacant

Kazzer19

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »
Thank you for the map. That's a great idea to compare with a currant map. It will give us some idea where Carnalea street was. My dad was born at no 36. He was evacuated in the war with one of his brothers.   Thank you so much for your help and the information. Unfortunately we never got to meet any of our relatives from Northern Ireland only one of his brothers Stanley who cam over to stay with us. 

CMcG

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
Here is the relevant bit of the 1920s map side by side with a satellite view of the same area today. Bottom right in each you can see Rowan Street (what's left of it unnamed in the modern satellite view), also Cultra Street and Clanmorris Street to the left.

First off, the Belfast street directories show that Carnalea Street was numbered from Rowan Street, ie. smaller nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. were at the bottom (Rowan Street) end of the street, your folk lived at the top end as shown in the 1920s map, the bit where it loops round and back down into Clanmorris Street.

It's far from an exact science, but you can still see similarities in alignment of property boundaries.

In the modern satellite view, Craigavad Street in the 1920s map has disappeared under the large building on the right with an attached area painted with car park spaces - which is a furniture / carpet shop. The fence which can be clearly seen at the back of that car park in the modern satellite view is in alignment with Carnalea Street in the 1920s map, I suspect it may be the midway point between the houses facing onto Carnalea Street and the houses facing onto Craigavad Street.

Anyway, if you were visiting Belfast and stood yourself in the middle of "Carnalea Pl" as marked on the modern satellite view,  looking south towards "St Pauls Fold" as also marked, I reckon you would be within yards of your folks.

Kazzer19

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
Thank you for this. This gives us a really good idea of where the street was and where to go.

R.Stewart

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »
Hi
I lived in 50 Clanmorris St.from 1960 till mid seventies,Carnalea St. Lost about 5 houses on the right  from Rowan St.
Craigavad St lost all of the houses on the left backing onto Carnalea St.Clanmorris St. Lost about 3 near Rowan St. Probably No. 6 8 &10 then more further down,maybe 20 to 30 and then 56 to the turn to Carnalea St. Rowan St. Lost a lot of houses opposite Carnalea St. downards on both sides,Hanna St and Rowan St

jmdroots

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 04:46:37 AM »
"Here is the relevant bit of the 1920s map side by side with a satellite view of the same area today."

Thank you for posting this map.  My great grandmother Martha Kerr (Haveron) died at 38 Carnalea Street on May 1st, 1895.  Some day I will go to Belfast and see where this is.  Maybe I will find her grave some day too.Janice from Canada