Author Topic: Milltown cemetery records  (Read 2985 times)

V1n7y

Re: HELP NEEDED - Milltown Cemetery Burial Records
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »
Thank you Elwyn
That sounds fairly straight forward

Argo

Re: Milltown cemetery records
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
Speedwobble

I am the youngest great grandson of William and Margaret O'Hara (grandson of William)
Can you please confirm IF they are buried together in Milltown?
Where can I find the grave??

Thanks

V1n7y
Hi in all honesty unless they were pretty well off the chances are at that time they are both in the poor ground. There should hopefully be some sort of record for them. But finding a spot someone is buried in the poor ground is remote.Added to this if they died years apart there is no chance they are together as it is really in truth a mass grave.

V1n7y

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »
Thanks Argo
Unfortunately I believe you are correct I have only just became aware of this "poor ground" explains why the records are difficult to obtain!

Argo

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
Thanks Argo
Unfortunately I believe you are correct I have only just became aware of this "poor ground" explains why the records are difficult to obtain!
Following on from this. I also have many relatives buried in the poor ground and some years back one of the original grave diggers who had worked in Milltown for many years told me that is was indeed possible to find a spot roughly where people were buried. That is to say with using measurements from the graves on the edge of the site. But he said the then controllers of Milltown did not want this to be known, as they were afraid people would start leaving markers on the field. And to be fair I think they were right in this action. Because this very thing is occurring at the bottom of the graveyard, where this is actually happening.

harrison

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 01:32:54 PM »
Where were Roman Catholics from Belfast buried before Milltown cemetery opened.My ggg grandparents died in 1850 s   in Union Street, and Found Entry of Hercules Place now Royal Avenue,and they where poor.

jillyfred

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
I would think Harrison in that time frame they would have been buried in their local Church grounds.
Or if they died in the Workhouse perhaps they were buried there-I don't` know if that was the case for those in the Workhouse.

I suppose all of these -no matter which Religion-had Poor Ground-so very sad for the families not to be able to bury their loved ones in the way they would have wanted too just because they had not the money to do so,

.No money to erect a headstone to mark their grave.

Thank God for many years now we have been able to avoid such heartache.

jilly

Bread Basket

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
Where were Roman Catholics from Belfast buried before Milltown cemetery opened.My ggg grandparents died in 1850 s   in Union Street, and Found Entry of Hercules Place now Royal Avenue,and they where poor.

Try Friarís Bush.
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/community/cemeteries/friarsbush.aspx

jillyfred

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 03:05:36 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/maps-3/milltown-grid-map/

The link above which I have used countless times in the past seems to be no longer working.... it was a great asset when researching the Grave Sections....
 Any ideas why it no longer displays information???

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/maps-3/milltown-grid-map/

The link above which I have used countless times in the past seems to be no longer working.... it was a great asset when researching the Grave Sections....
 Any ideas why it no longer displays information???
??? ??? ??? ??? None of my links work either.  The maps posted on this site are no longer available and the only visible one is too blurred a bit like my copy which is a pdf & useless for definition.  Perhaps someone here can help with a copy that can be posted for permanent reference?