Author Topic: Somme Nursing Home. East Belfast  (Read 7926 times)

Christopher

Somme Nursing Home. East Belfast
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:14:02 AM »
I remember the UVF Hospital on the Circular Road. In 1992 the UVF Hospital closed and the name was changed to the Somme Hospital. A further name change took place in 1996 when the name was changed to the Somme Nursing Home. 

giannineo

Re: Somme Nursing Home. East Belfast
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:24:02 PM »
There was also a UVF Hospital off Upper Galwally with entrance on the Saintfield Road.Possibly now the site of Texas/Homebase DIY Centre.

EllCee

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:56:25 PM »
"There was also a UVF Hospital off Upper Galwally with entrance on the Saintfield Road.Possibly now the site of Texas/Homebase DIY Centre."

There is still a large "gentleman's residence" behind Homebase.  It used to be used by the IDB, but is currently up for Sale or Rent. 

Nearby, on the Saintfield Road, there is a similarly styled "Gate Lodge" which used to be a daytime Police Station.  I'm not sure what its purpose is now.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:59:24 PM »
I thought the UVF Hospital was in the grounds of Foster Green.

EllCee

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 11:06:06 PM »
I thought the UVF Hospital was in the grounds of Foster Green.

I don't know about either.  I'm accepting G's information about Galwally.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
Les,the gate lodge was occupied by the groundsman/gardener of the UVF HOSPITAL,AND i THINK THE ACTUAL HOSPITAL WAS IN THE LARGE HOUSE.Anyway,they grew lovely peas and beans in the summer and I was chased by Mr.Williamson the gardener more than once for sampling them without his consent.

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 11:14:26 PM »
I found a mention of the Galwally Hospital but it does not state the precise location.

EllCee

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:17:31 PM »
"Another Hospital opened in Galwally in 1926, closed some four years later, but reopened in 1940 and continued to function until 1969, caring for the needs not only of many First World War veterans but victims of the Second World War and other conflicts in which Ulstermen had found themselves engaged as members of the armed services. The UVF hospitals have, in total, cared for over 28,000 participating soldiers from the First World War - a tremendous record of service in the alleviation of suffering and disability."

Going by the sort of building we would expect to be used, I reckon it is the "gentleman's residence".  But not Foster Green's grounds

giannineo

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 11:26:30 PM »
Les/Christopher,the main entrance indeed was via the gate lodge entrance on Saintfield Road.There was a way of getting in via a lane on Upper Galwally-i.e. the wee road which ran up from Saintfield Road to the Hillfoot Road long before the dual carriageway was built and the road now running from Saintfield Road past entrance to Sainsbury's.
         There was a bus terminus at the Hillfoot Road where the 'red Corporation buses' finished their journey.There were hens in a field just beside the terminus and you knew you were in the countryside then.
          I think the UVF Hospital was known as Galwally Hospital.The side lane to the Hospital was on the boundary of Ulidia Cricket Club and Cokke Rugby Club.

EllCee

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 11:29:42 PM »
"The side lane to the Hospital was on the boundary of Ulidia Cricket Club and Cokke Rugby Club."

That would have lead at one time to the Drumkeen Hotel, which is no longer there?

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 11:36:55 PM »
Nope Les,it was on the lower side of Ulidia/ Cooke,but there was a lane which led to Drumkeen and Redroofs on the upper side of Ulidia /Cooke. In the 60's a few of us heard that the Stones were staying at the Drumkeen and we crept through the bushes to catch a glimpse.Yes, they weren't there,but the caretaker was with a big hose with plenty of cold water-ouch.Where Sainsbury's is now there was a mini glen with sheugh which was later culverted.You could catch frogs in a pond there.

EllCee

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 12:01:58 AM »
"Where Sainsbury's is now there was a mini glen with sheugh which was later culverted.You could catch frogs in a pond there."

That will be where their underground carpark is now.  You could catch hepatitis or an STD from the low lifes that inhabit that place in the dark of night.

Opposite my house, in Foster Green's, they are going to build a "residential treatment centre for disturbed young people undergoing care in the community".

giannineo

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 11:34:06 PM »
Les,don't worry about the disturbed people .I work with challenging behaviour clients and Forensic psychiatry and love them all.
      As for the contagious element in Sainsbury's car park,I will advise my good friend from Ravenhill Avenue not to go there at night lest they catch something from her.

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 12:06:58 AM »
Ravenhill Avenue ??? What's this, Giannineo ??? Don't keep things to yourselves :D

giannineo

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 10:46:28 PM »
Totally innocent Christopher.The lady in question was the reason I went to Glasgow to study feet.She is the only person I know who would late night shop at Sainsburys.
        Sat on a beach in Carnlough on an August night with quarter bottle of Bush(well,it was the Church Junior Badminton holiday) she explained to me that her sister and friends were off to Glasgow to study feet,and that she was going the next year.So I went the next year and she was my wee sister for the next three years....no hanky panky I can assure you.
      Leonard Cohen and Ashleigh House girld ruined my life.