Author Topic: Somme Nursing Home. East Belfast  (Read 7949 times)

EllCee

Re: Somme Nursing Home. East Belfast
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »
"quarter bottle of Bush"

At least she had good taste in whiskey.   ;)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »
LES,I WAS ON THE WHISKEY. ...if the lady had been on the whiskey she still wouldn't have given me a sideways glance. .I wouldn't get a wink from a blind donkey.

MaryLennon

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 05:52:43 PM »
ok back to the UVF hospital.
When was there a fire in it?
Does anyone have a picture of the old front door with Red Hand above it?
Anyone ever heard of a nurse Dolly Pickering?

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:19:22 PM »
There were a clatter of UVF Hospitals established during the Great War - MDS Harris on the Lisburn Road was one, there was one at the back of Queen's University, Crawfordsburn Hospital, Galwally etc....

Mary - don't have Dolly Pickering, but do have Nurse Esther Pickering - enlisted Voluntary Aid Detachement but served subsequently with the Harvard Unit General Hospital during the Great War. The original UVFH features at MDS Harris have been preserved - I believe the stone hand from the lintle is still there? If you want a pic of that, can oblige? Also have a picture of the UVFH calender/Christmas book, 1915, but yet again, the file is too large to upload....

MaryLennon

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »
Was there a fire at any of those Hospitals?

I suppose Dolly could be a nickname, I haven't found that many Pickerings in the Street Directories and none are her.

I was hoping I might have found her in the Ulster Covenant and I have her signature on a book but she's not there.

Are any of these men you have?

Private F. Morris
3rd Middlesex Regt. Wounded at Ypres

Pt. A. V. Feltham
1st Worcestershires

these are 2 of men who were at the UVF Hospital in 1915 and it looks like it was just after it opened in Jan 1915

Its an autograph book owned by Dolly Pickering, and it has the sweetest things in it, poems, drawings and comments by the soldiers who were in the hospital  :) :)

There is also a drawing of what could be Dolly by one of the soldiers, Pte Elliott, 4 Batt Northumberland Fusiliers Wounded at Hillgo? 26th April 1915 U.V.F.H. June 9th 1915

I can't wait to scan them all and get them on my site, they are so sweet...

MaryLennon

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 11:30:06 PM »
another wee ditty

Oh Dolly Dear but thou art queer,
and full of furiosity
Your album too, is just like you
a glorious curiosity.

Pte. D. Edwards
9th Royal Scots
(Dundee Ninth) or Dandee Dandil
6th July 1915

there are many others, so sweet  :-*

MaryLennon

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 11:33:50 PM »
a drawing of a Christmas Pudding with legs and a face, with fork in hand and a wee man on a plate
signed by Harry Lauder, comedian
Titled -  Stuffins. Minors. Christmas. Dream

and this on the opposite page in what looks like the same hand writing
Life
Where does it lead to
What have we got out of it
How will it end

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 12:31:20 AM »
Was there a fire at any of those Hospitals?

I suppose Dolly could be a nickname, I haven't found that many Pickerings in the Street Directories and none are her.

I was hoping I might have found her in the Ulster Covenant and I have her signature on a book but she's not there.

Are any of these men you have?

Private F. Morris
3rd Middlesex Regt. Wounded at Ypres

Pt. A. V. Feltham
1st Worcestershires

these are 2 of men who were at the UVF Hospital in 1915 and it looks like it was just after it opened in Jan 1915

Its an autograph book owned by Dolly Pickering, and it has the sweetest things in it, poems, drawings and comments by the soldiers who were in the hospital  :) :)

There is also a drawing of what could be Dolly by one of the soldiers, Pte Elliott, 4 Batt Northumberland Fusiliers Wounded at Hillgo? 26th April 1915 U.V.F.H. June 9th 1915

I can't wait to scan them all and get them on my site, they are so sweet...

Hi again Mary.

Sounds like quite an interesting piece. Look forward to the scans!!

Your sketcher - have narrowed it down and believe it to be 4/2088, Private Fred Elliot, 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Don't know about 'Hillgo' - sure it's not 'Hill 60' as this was one of the objectives of the Second Battle for Ypres, where the 4th Northumberlands fought during the attack on St. Julien, which began on the 24th April 1915.

Private Feltham - I have identified him as 20015, Private Albert V. Feltham of the 1st Battalion the Worcestershire Regiment.

Unfortunately nothing positive on Private F. Morris, as there are a few listed for that Regiment.

One good thing though, all survived!! None appear on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Must have been Dolly's bedside manner?? I'm presuming that Dolly/Esther are one and the same - there is only one 'Pickering' recorded as a nurse, and this is the one I mentioned previously. I believe that if you contact the British Red Cross, they still hold the service records for those who served with the V.A.D. units.

Best Wishes,

Acheux.

MaryLennon

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 12:43:53 AM »
Thank you Acheux  :D  60 sounds more feasible than go and it isn't that clear its all written in pencil, I know I'm going to have problems with some of the writing, will be nice to get it online and hopefully some living relatives will enjoy their ancestors Wit and humour  :D

There is a field  service post card tucked inside the book, probably will find an entry from this person also when I get a chance to go through it properly, dated 1917 though, addressed to what I suppose is his wife, will have to check street directories and see if they're there in 1918.

Someone has drawn a picture of their own hospital chart  ;D might be a clue says C or G. E. Hospital  McKirk or Mr. Kirk? not his name though, he's Pt. J. Logan 9th Argyle & Sutherland.

argh have to stop looking through this and go to bed  :)

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »

argh have to stop looking through this and go to bed  :)

Early to bed, early to rise, makes Mary healthy, wealthy and wise 8)

MaryLennon

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 02:46:22 PM »
healthy  (fullstop)  :D

eddiec

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 08:40:46 PM »
My Grandfather died in the UVF Hospital (Craigavon) on the Circular Road.  I used to cut hrough the grounds of the Hospital on the way home and too school.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

rjl

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
there were 2 uvf hospitals galwally and one on the old holywood road small now as part is rented out for nh pations

MaryLennon

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 12:03:58 AM »
Eddie, This autograph book is apparently from the Craigavon UVF Hospital or the nurse Dolly Pickering who worked there.
Had a quick check thru it again, no Connelly's, it seems to be all English or Scottish regts., no RIR or RIF or any other locals.

Doli64

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 12:55:10 PM »
Does the Ulster Volunteer Hospital in Botanic Avenue mean anything to anyone?

My GGrandad died there in 1921.