Author Topic: Somme Nursing Home. East Belfast  (Read 7931 times)

Christopher

Re: Somme Nursing Home. East Belfast
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 04:48:12 AM »
Does the Ulster Volunteer Hospital in Botanic Avenue mean anything to anyone?

My GGrandad died there in 1921.

Hiya Doli,

There was an Ulster Volunteer Force Hospital at Queens University.
I wonder if that was at the Botanic Avenue end of the University grounds.

Chris 

Doli64

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 11:14:52 AM »
Hi Christopher

thanks for your reply. I had come across this website and have posted a query- just hoping that a bit more insight may arrive.

Do you know if there would be any records I could search in relation to that period in hospital?

I guess until I can get another part of the jigsaw it will be difficult to to make any sense of this.

I found out a couple of nights ago from one of the members helping me in my search that my Grandad had lost a leg. As I only discovered his name 2 years ago I feel that I'm making great progress. It can be a very frustrating process getting snippets of information that at first don't mean much. But, when a breakthrough happens it's amazing.

This is a fantastic forum - I'm still in shock that I've hit a target.

Best Regards
D.

Dibbles

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 02:26:37 AM »
My mum (RIP) worked there for many years as a auxillary nurse.  I used to go up there to meet her before her shift finished.  There was a soldier called Hendrick, I think he was Russian.  He was a real gentleman, & i had a pleasure to talk to him.  He was a 2nd world war fighter & a lovely man.  He had no family & it really saddened me that no visited him.  I always made a point to talk to him.  I will always have wonderful memories of that hospital.  My good old mummy had the priviledge to work there, she always said it was a pleasure to be there. 

Dibbles

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 02:29:51 AM »
Sorry the location was off Circular Road, East Belfast.

Nelmesp

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »
Mr Williamson who was the grounds man was my Grandfather. He was a great gardener.