Author Topic: MV Princess Victoria  (Read 1304 times)

Brown low

MV Princess Victoria
« on: January 30, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
Tomorrow marks the anniversary of the loss of the PV in the North Channel just three miles off the Copeland Islands. 133souls lost their lives this included all the officers and women and children.
Lest We Forget.

Moorfield Street

Re: MV Princess Victoria
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
Tomorrow marks the anniversary of the loss of the PV in the North Channel just three miles off the Copeland Islands. 133souls lost their lives this included all the officers and women and children.
Lest We Forget.

Happened 1953 and these type of ships are still lost every year.    Convenience over safety.    A report here.
http://www.brighthubengineering.com/marine-history/113559-the-loss-of-the-mv-princess-victoria/#imgn_0

JackM

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
I remember my late father who was a Design Draughtsman at Harland & Wolff for most of his working life, being deeply affected by this tragedy. Although the Princess Victoria wasn't built by H&W, I always remember him saying it was the poor design of the ship which led to this tragedy.
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Brown low

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
Jack that was the cause that the enquiry came too.

Billy Fish

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »
Very sad loss.  :(
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »
'Sixth Edition' of the Belfast Tele published on Saturday 31 January 1953, front page:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

moorsy

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »
this is a B.B.C. account of the sinking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/2705901.stm

One of the Nelson family of the Donaghadee lifeboat told my father about pieces of bodies washed up for years after.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

Billy Fish

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
Despite the difficulties of the ship, the British Master and Officers conducted themselves with honour and dignity befitting of their position. Surely an example of dignity and bravery.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

leaky

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 11:01:17 PM »
I was playing guitar with a band at a dance in Larne on the night of the tragedy. When the terrible news was announced in the dance hall everybody left in shock. It affected a very many people in Larne.
get aff ma fut.

Savus

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 02:21:57 AM »
My dad was a young Merchant Seaman at the time.
He was finished a voyage in Liverpool and was due to make his way back to Belfast on the Princess Victoria that night.
Being young, irresponsible and having money burning a hole in his pocket from his voyage he over indulged and ended up missing the Princess Victoria.

Billy Fish

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 09:33:23 AM »
The definitive account of this tragedy is given in the book, 'The Short Sea Route', by Fraser G MacHaffie. Although out of print a second hand copy can be bought on line. It gives a 'blow by blow' account of the conversations between the vessel, the Coastguard and other vessels involved in the tragedy. Sad, but great reading.  :(
Support Soldier F

jillyfred

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
Captain and Mrs Ferguson lived round the corner from my home.
I was a young child at the time but I remember them both very well.

jilly

Billy Fish

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 09:22:23 PM »
Captain and Mrs Ferguson lived round the corner from my home.
I was a young child at the time but I remember them both very well.

jilly

According to the last man to have jumped off the ship,(Billy Copley) when he looked back he could see Captain Ferguson with one hand holding on to the deck rail and the other hand saluting, as the ship went from under him. A courageous man to the end.  :( Befitting of a British Officer.  :)
Support Soldier F

JackM

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
According to the last man to have jumped off the ship,(Billy Copley) when he looked back he could see Captain Ferguson with one hand holding on to the deck rail and the other hand saluting, as the ship went from under him. A courageous man to the end.  :( Befitting of a British Officer.  :)

Great bravery indeed.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Billy Fish

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 07:48:08 PM »
Support Soldier F