Author Topic: Can't find Sixth Street,,,,,  (Read 3255 times)

Munkybarz

Can't find Sixth Street,,,,,
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:32:11 AM »
Presently I am doing a fair bit of research into my Grandmother's family and information I have so far is an address of #2 Sixth Street. It would have been between N. Howard Street and Conway Street? I google mapped all of this and found Fifth Street okay, but just what exactly happened to Sixth Street? I see a N. Howard Walk, is that where it was? Anyway, greetings from Canada and I hope someone can shed a bit of light on this for me. Thanks, -Bill

CMcG

Re: Can't find Sixth Street,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:47:58 AM »
Here it is in the early 1900s.  No. 2 was the first house at the North Howard Street end.

For your bearings against a modern map, the street emerging from top left into this snapshot is Riga Street, it intersects with (amongst others) Snugville Street and Crimea Street which you can see rising north from the Shankill Road and disappearing off the top.

Munkybarz

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
So helpful, thank you! Before residing at 2 Sixth Street I seem to remember a reference to their home on Westmoreland, which is shown to the left running off of Northumberland. After living at 2 Sixth Street for quite some time the family then moved to 104 Snugville. As for Sixth Street, the only street left from all of those numbered streets is fifth. There must have been a major reworking of that area although I don't know when that would have been. Again, thank you for taking the time to help me out on this.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 02:44:08 PM »

... As for Sixth Street, the only street left from all of those numbered streets is fifth. There must have been a major reworking of that area although I don't know when that would have been ...

This 1959 listing shows it still in existence:

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/1959ListofStreets.htm

There was a lot of Belfast redevelopment in the 1960s, hopefully someone will remember it "going".

Munkybarz

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
 In the 1892 Belfast and Ulster directory I found Cardwell, Henry, fireman, 66 Westmoreland Street. I know this to be correct because there's a note on my Grandmother's birth certificate to this effect.  Same in 1895 address was 66 Westmoreland between Dover Street and Northumberland Street. According to the 1896 directory their address was 50 Howard Street North between the Falls Road (the A501 today?) and the Shankill Road. 1897 same, but there's a gap until 1899, so sometime in that period they moved into 2 Sixth Street.

JackM

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:35:35 PM »
Sixth Street was between Fifth Street and Seventh Street.   ::) ::)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Munkybarz

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »
Sixth Street was between Fifth Street and Seventh Street.

Yeah, even us colonials would know the numerical order.

Margana

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
If my memory serves me right, First to Tenth Street were there in the sixties but there was no Second Street!!

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:26:45 AM »
Second Street seemed to disappear off the radar in the early 1900s.  For example, the 1901 Belfast street directory, courtesy of the Lennon Wylie website, shows it intersecting with North Howard Street. By the 1907 directory, it is no longer listed as intersecting with North Howard Street, but there are still several mentions in the alphabetic listing of names (of principal inhabitants, merchants, shopkeepers, etc.). Thereafter however, nothing.

Here is a continuation of the early 1900s map I previously posted, this time in the early 1930s:

Looks like Falls Foundry expanded over the top of that area..

EMcG

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »
Anyone know of the McFall family that lived in Sixth street?

4203Brenda

Re: McFall of Sixth Street
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 12:57:42 AM »
I've just been reading a lot of old posts about Sixth Street and came across yours. My grandparents lived in 36 Sixth Street and I think their neighbour in number 38 was called Hetty McFall. Could this be the person you were asking about?

SAS

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
Ran between Conway street and North Howard Street, did it not ?

4203Brenda

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »
That's right. I remember Malcy Hoy's butcher's in Conway Street not far from the top of Sixth Street.

EMcG

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
Brenda My Great Grandfather William and Great Grandmother Eliza lived in 34 Sixth Street. My Grandad was James their son. Was it these who you remember.

4203Brenda

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »
EMCG
I think maybe that your great grandparents lived there before my grandparents, who probably lived in number 36  from around 1930 to around early 1960s. The only people I remember possibly living in number 34 were the Barnes. My memory of the McFalls who lived in No.38 were the mother Hetty and her daughter.