Author Topic: I want to find out information on William Lunn who served with R.I.R. 16th.Bn.  (Read 2418 times)

teenie

I want to find out information  on William Lunn who served with R.I.R. 16th.Bn
He came from Lurgan Co Armagh..He was killed in the first World War 27th March 1916.
He also played football or rugby for Ireland.  William Lunn was married to Sarah Jane Lunn, of Champion, Michigan U.S.A.

valkerr

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/38313/LUNN,%20WILLIAM
LUNN, WILLIAM
Service No:706
Date of Death:27/03/1918
Regiment/Service:Royal Irish Rifles 16th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. A. 12.
Cemetery:NAMPS-AU-VAL BRITISH CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of William and Mary Lunn; husband of Sarah Jane Lunn, of Champion, Michigan, U.S.A. Native of Lurgan, Co. Armagh.

Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   22 Nov 1862
Groom Name   William LUNN
Bride Name   Mary  WHITESIDE
Church   Magheralin Church of Ireland
Parish   Magheralin
Civil District   Lurgan
County   Down

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Lurgan_Rural/Ballyblagh/1024345/
Census Years1901ArmaghLurgan RuralBallyblaghResidents of a house
Residents of a house 4 in Ballyblagh (Lurgan Rural, Armagh)
Show all information
Surname   Forename   Age   Sex   Relation to head   Religion   Birthplace   Occupation   Literacy   Irish Language   Marital Status   Specified Illnesses
Lunn   William   60   Male   Head of Family   Church of Ireland   Co Down   Linen Weaver   Read and write   -   Married   -
Lunn   Mary   60   Female   Wife   Church of Ireland   Co Down   -   Read and write   -   Married   -
Lunn   John   34   Male   Son   Church of Ireland   Co Armagh   Linen Weaver   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
Lunn   Mary   31   Female   DaughterChurch of Ireland   Co Armagh   Hem Stitcher   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
Lunn   Robert   29   Male   Son   Church of Ireland   Co Armagh   Linen Weaver   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
Lunn   William   24   Male   Son   Church of Ireland   Co Armagh   Shoemaker

Registration number   Forename of child   Surname of child   Date of birth   Sex of child   Mother's maiden name
U/1877/172/1021/14/24   William   Lunn   16th February 1877   Male   Whiteside   Lurgan(pre-1973 Q4)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Lurgan_Urban/Watson_s_Lane/297190/
Census Years1911ArmaghLurgan UrbanWatson's LaneResidents of a house
Residents of a house 18 in Watson's Lane (Lurgan Urban, Armagh)
Show all information
Surname   Forename   Age   Sex   Relation to head   Religion   Birthplace   Occupation   Literacy   Irish Language   Marital Status   Specified Illnesses   Years Married   Children Born   Children Living
Lunn   William   34   Male   Head of Family   Church of IrelandCo Armagh   Shoemaker   Read and write   -   Married   - - - -
Lunn   Sarah J   38   Female   Wife   Church of Ireland   Co Armagh   Veiner

JimG

Hi Teenie
You have had a great start from Valkerr, building on that, here are my quick notes some related., some not, but I was trying to produce quickly a pile of information for you, to sort further. My extra sources were Ros Davies Co Down website and Familysearch.org
     Abram LUNN . Magheralin  of Mathersfort/ Ballymacateer; will probated 1758 IIW V4 p78  Did any detail of will survive. Eg is this mary his widow
Mary LUNN . Magheralin  of Mathersfort/ Ballymacateer; will probated 1766 IIW V4 p78
No connections found and wasdead before

Abraham LUNN b~1768 Magheralin married Anne Moore 4 Sep 1807 at Magheralin Church of Ireland PR   Ros Davies gives A died 27 Feb 1837 aged 69;
Children
Matthew Lunn b~1802 (d. 24 Sep 1876 aged 74 Ros Davies); buried old Magheralin parish graveyard MIs husband of Eleanor who died 6 Feb 1886 aged 76; father of Abraham b~1843  (d. 7 Jun 1890 aged 47); buried old Magheralin parish graveyard MIs
Children
Miss Elizabeth LUNN b~1837 . Magheralin & Knockbrda  daughter of Matthew Lunn; aged 18 married Samuel Halliday 12 Jan 1855 in Magheralin ; mother of John b. 1865 & James b. 1867 (regd. Ballymacarrett) CR
Abraham Lunn b~1843  (d. 7 Jun 1890 aged 47); buried old Magheralin parish graveyard MIs
No connections found

Edward LUNN b~1772 Magheralin died 3 Dec 1861 aged 89; husband of Margaret who died 8 Mar 1822 aged 35; buried old Magheralin parish graveyard MIs
No connections found

John Lunn b ~>1810
Children
John LUNN b ~1826 Magheralin son of John Lunn ; aged 26 married Elizabeth Hamilton 25 Dec 1852 CR
Robert LUNN b ~1830 . Magheralin son of John Lunn ; aged 25 married Jane Hamilton 17 Nov 1855 CR
Alice LUNN .b~1841 Magheralin & Moira daughter of John Lunn; aged 19 married William Hill 1 Sep 1860 in Magheralin; mother of John Hill b. 1870 & Jane Hill b. 1871 (regd. Moira) CR

William LUNN b ~1841    Church of Ireland   Co Down Ros Davies names his father at wedding as John, married 22 Nov 1862, Mary  Whiteside Magheralin Church of Ireland
they lived in 1901 at 4 in Ballyblagh (Lurgan Rural, Armagh)
children
John Lunn   21 Mar 1867 FS     Church of Ireland   Co Armagh   Linen Weaver   
Mary Lunn    20 Jan 1870 armagh FS Co Armagh   
Robert Lunn  b 20 Mar 1872 FS   Co Armagh   Linen Weaver   
Christina Lunn b 19 Oct 1874 FS
William Lunn 16 Feb 1877 FS   Co Armagh   Shoemaker m 1904, Sarah Jane Lunn b 1883( looks like he emigrated 24 Oct 1906 Age:19y[??]Armagh. Departure Port: Londonderry on the ‘Sarah Jane’.  FS ) Sarah Lunn’s marriage looks like Belfast Jan - Mar 1904 Belfast, Ireland Belfast Volume Number: 1Page Number:242  Sarah may have died and been buried in 1927 in Champion, Marquette, Michigan, United States of America. Death Date:           11 Oct 1927 Affiliate Record Identifier:118563697 Cemetery: Champion Cemetery

Alice Lunn  b 22 Jun 1879 FS

Finally I came across a sad event, the death of Mary Jane Lunn, that may not be related at all [size=78%] [/size]in   Jan - Mar 1912

Lurgan, Ireland Registration Quarter and Year:Jan - Mar 1912 Registration District:  Lurgan

Hoping others will correct me and add further information for you
Good luck JimG

teenie

JimG
Thank you for information  It was great  Would like to find more information about his father if he had any brothers or
sisters.  Also about his wife and where her father came from.  I notice that William also married a
whiteside the same as his mothers maiden name.  Was she a relative?

killultagh

Robert LUNN b ~1830 . Magheralin son of John Lunn ; aged 25 married Jane Hamilton 17 Nov 1855 CR

The Jane Hamilton mentioned would have been my Great x 4 Aunt.

Poeme99

Hi kilutaugh yes that is your relative it would be Elizabeth Hamilton is Joseph Hamilton who is married to Jane McKibbin sister.

killultagh

Hi kilutaugh yes that is your relative it would be Elizabeth Hamilton is Joseph Hamilton who is married to Jane McKibbin sister.

Unfortunately I cannot find the connection to the William mentioned in this thread.

I also cannot find death information for Jane Hamilton (McKibbon) nor her husband Joseph Hamilton.

JimG

Hi Teenie, the only other info found is
     Possible relatives
from Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 based upon the work of the
Irish Genealogy Hub  The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast The information is very simple normally without any familyhistory whatsoever, but can help with church records etc
and sometimes where they lived
Lunn, Abraham-Townland: Ballymacateer Year: 1834-Magheralin-Down-
Lunn, Edward-Townland: Ballymacateer Year: 1834-Magheralin-Down-
Lunn, George-Townland: Ballymacateer Year: 1834-Magheralin-Down-
Lunn, George-Townland: Ballymacmean Year: 1834-Magheralin-Down-

McCusker

I want to find out information  on William Lunn who served with R.I.R. 16th.Bn
He came from Lurgan Co Armagh..He was killed in the first World War 27th March 1916.
He also played football or rugby for Ireland.  William Lunn was married to Sarah Jane Lunn, of Champion, Michigan U.S.A.

William Lunn was one of seven brothers who joined up to fight in the great war . My mother was one of two sisters in the family
they lived at 149 Hill street Lurgan co Armagh .
There is a photo exists of the 7 brothers in uniform which I am trying to trace
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

James James

Be aware, that in WW1 due to casualties and manpower needs, soldiers might often serve in more than one regiment or corps.

BTW, I've also seen references to at least one professional footballer of that name from that area.

https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarbelfast/home

https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarbelfast/home/service-personnel-pictures-list-a---l

Lunn, Edward, , Royal Irish Rifles, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, Henry, , Royal Irish Fusiliers, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, J, Corporal, Royal Irish Rifles, Ravarnette Lisburn Antrim, Died, LS July 1916
Lunn, James, , Royal Irish Fusiliers, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, James, Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 132 Spamount Street Belfast, Wounded, Jun 1915
Lunn, Joseph H, Sergeant, Royal Irish Rifles, 33 Prospect Street Belfast, Died,
Lunn, Joseph, , Royal Irish Fusiliers, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915)
Lunn, Robert, , Royal Irish Rifles, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, Samuel, , Royal Irish Rifles, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, William J, , Inniskilling Dragoons, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, William, Unspecified, Royal Irish Fusiliers, 21 Mill Row Dunmurry Antrim, Murdered (Civilian)

https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarbelfast/home/brothers-in-arms

Lunn Family (159 Hill Street Lurgan) - Our Country 'We Are Seven' (BWT 09-01-1915).jpg

McCusker

Be aware, that in WW1 due to casualties and manpower needs, soldiers might often serve in more than one regiment or corps.

BTW, I've also seen references to at least one professional footballer of that name from that area.

https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarbelfast/home

https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarbelfast/home/service-personnel-pictures-list-a---l

Lunn, Edward, , Royal Irish Rifles, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, Henry, , Royal Irish Fusiliers, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, J, Corporal, Royal Irish Rifles, Ravarnette Lisburn Antrim, Died, LS July 1916
Lunn, James, , Royal Irish Fusiliers, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, James, Private, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 132 Spamount Street Belfast, Wounded, Jun 1915
Lunn, Joseph H, Sergeant, Royal Irish Rifles, 33 Prospect Street Belfast, Died,
Lunn, Joseph, , Royal Irish Fusiliers, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915)
Lunn, Robert, , Royal Irish Rifles, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, Samuel, , Royal Irish Rifles, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, William J, , Inniskilling Dragoons, 159 Hill Street Lurgan Armagh, Family, ByWT Jan 1915
Lunn, William, Unspecified, Royal Irish Fusiliers, 21 Mill Row Dunmurry Antrim, Murdered (Civilian)

https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarbelfast/home/brothers-in-arms

Lunn Family (159 Hill Street Lurgan) - Our Country 'We Are Seven' (BWT 09-01-1915).jpg

This William j Lunn is for sure one of the "we are 7" Lunn brothers of 159 Hill Street Lurgan
Rifleman Lunn, W.
 Royal Irish Rifles  16th Bn.   

who died on
 27 March 1918. Aged 44
Additional Information:
 Son of William and Mary Lunn;
of Lurgan, Co. Armagh.
Husband of Sarah Jane Lunn,
of Champion, Michigan, U.S.A.

Cemetery:
 NAMPS-AU-VAL BRITISH CEMETERY France
Grave or Reference Panel Number:
 I. A. 12.
seems to be a mix up somewhere  but wj lunn was 17 in 1911   

James James

McCusker

Ok I got a little more info and I was right " confusion is the keyword "

At the 1901 Census Samuel Lunn was 8 years old and William J was 17 so at beginning of WWi they were 21 and 31 respectively
so William J with the canadian connection cannot be the William J of 159 Hill street ,not if he was 44 in 1918

So I stand corrected ---sorry
But the family photo shows him as killed and it was published by the tele in 2015, Samuel was killed at the Somme 2016

Incidentally Both William J Lunns have parents called John and Mary

McCusker