Author Topic: I want to find out information on William Lunn who served with R.I.R. 16th.Bn.  (Read 3104 times)

McCusker

Inline image 1
The Privy seal letter is dated 14th Oct 2014 and refers to 6 brothers (sons)
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

McCusker

McCusker

Inline image 1
Sorry about picture size if anyone can increase it ---great The writing below the photo states number 4
of 7 Brothers is William J Lunn ( age 30/31) Inniskilling Dragoons - killed but no details.?
The photo was published in The Belfast Telegraph during 1915 and photo 6 is Samuel -  killed at the Somme Oct 12 th 1916.
Finally I met 6 of  the brothers at a family wedding when I was young but never met William or heard my mother speak of him .I did not knoe of his existence until I saw the 2001 census + his image in the picture.
No one around to check with now alas.

James James

Nobody can enlarge the picture, because it isn't displaying, and the link for it is this...

https://www.google.com/gmail/about/#   which just leads to a signup page for Gmail.

Have you got the picture on your computer ?,... if you have, upload to this site,... and choose the largest available image upload size option available on that site,...
https://postimages.org/      and just post the URL/link that the picture upload produces,...

that's on the the blue icon to the right of the words Direct link on the page that will appear when the picture has uploaded,... as per the picture of the example post upload page below,... just left click on that icon and the link to the uploaded picture will be copied, then just paste the link into a post on here and I will sort it out from there.

McCusker

Here is the picture I was talking about.

James James

Lurgan War Memorial...
http://www.ulsterwarmemorials.net/html/lurgan.html

Private Samuel Lunn, Royal Irish Fusiliers

Private William Lunn, Royal Irish Fusiliers

There does seem to be some sort of error.

NEOband

Sorry about picture size if anyone can increase it ---great The writing below the photo states number 4
of 7 Brothers is William J Lunn ( age 30/31) Inniskilling Dragoons - killed but no details.?
The photo was published in The Belfast Telegraph during 1915 and photo 6 is Samuel -  killed at the Somme Oct 12 th 1916.
Finally I met 6 of  the brothers at a family wedding when I was young but never met William or heard my mother speak of him .I did not know of his existence until I saw the 2001 census + his image in the picture.
No one around to check with now alas.

Hi McCusker

I am fairly certain you are related to a man i met tonight and gave him an excellent photo of Samuel Lunn (Killed in Action in 1916).

Like you he is interested in family tree history and has alot of material and i am told he does not know you. Samuel Lunn would have been his Great Uncle and James was his Grandfather. I can see you are related and your relative married a Lunn.

I would like to connect you to your lost cousin living in Portadown, a gentleman in his mid 80’s. Can you PM me if possible please.

Caron knight

Hello, I am coming in late on this conversation. My grandfather was William Lunn, his father and his before. I know little about my Irish family and wonder if there is a connection to any of you.
William Lunn born in 1920
His father William Lunn married to Annie Mahony,  he was in Kildare barracks RF driver.
His father William Lunn was a ship caulker, I believe from Belfast.
I have no one to ask. I would love to know more about my Irish ancestry. I have his birth /marriage. If you can help or if there are any Lunn connection I would love to hear stories see photos etc thank you

valkerr

Party 1 Name   WILLIAM LUNN caulker father Samuel ship carpenter
Party 2 Name   ELIZABETH SCOTT father James porter
Date of Event   01 June 1891
Group Registration ID   2567018
SR District/Reg Area   Belfast
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1891/10665/5886301.pdf

Census Years1901AntrimDuncairn WardSt. Paul's StreetResidents of a house
Residents of a house 2 in St. Paul's Street (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)
Lunn   William   30   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Belfast   Ship Caulker
Lunn   Elizabeth 30   Female   Wife   Presbyterian   Belfast
Lunn   James   9   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Belfast
Lunn   Elizabeth 8   Female   Daughter Presbyterian   Belfast
Lunn   William   6   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Belfast
Lunn   Annie   4   Female   Daughter Presbyterian   Belfast
Lunn   Samuel   2   Male   Son   Presbyterian   Belfast
Lunn   Robert      Male   Son   Presbyterian   Belfast
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/St__Paul_s_Street/1004862/

Party 1 Name   WILLIAM LUNN 22 father William caulker
Party 2 Name   ANNIE MAHONY 24 father William porter
Date of Event   12 June 1916
Group Registration ID   1731444
SR District/Reg Area   Cork
John Mahony, Kate Cowley
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1916/09782/5550790.pdf

Name   WILLIAM Robert LUNN
Date of Birth   13 December 1919
Group Registration ID   1753538
SR District/Reg Area   Naas
Sex   Male
Mother's Birth Surname   MAHONY
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1920/01225/1509842.pdf

Caron knight

Oh my goodness, Im taken back, I didn't realise there were other children. I'm wondering if father and son worked on any famous ships together.
This may help me track some family from grandad now although there was a rumour from a grt uncle that Grandad may have gone to America.
You were very quick, I wish I had your skills. Thank you

valkerr

You're welcome.
It's just knowing where to look.
I can't find any of the Lunn family in the 1911 census.

Caron knight

I found a street names listing 1894.
William Lunn caulker, 17 Bentinck Street
On  Lennon Wylie.   Co.uk

Caron knight

I believe I found a sister Hannah Lunn 1920. She may have gone to America/Texas to marry Pat H Crow. I got excited because I thought my grandfather may have joined them and wondered if this may be the reason for not finding census records. Can't find any movement after he left the family home and 3 kids.
Part of me thinks he set up an alternative life in America...🤔