Author Topic: Willix/McKissick  (Read 1859 times)

kari

Willix/McKissick
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:44:28 PM »
Hi, Would love to here from anyone with information on the Willix family , I have them in Henrietta St. in 1901 . nothing before that. They are my fathers mothers family. Also McKissick I have them in Dromara around the mid 1800's , I know that is pretty good going get back that far, thats my dads fathers side . My mother was also a McKissick I have managed to find the connection , their greatgrand fathers were brothers. Mum is from Sandy Row, Glenalpen Street. Her father John was a Hackler, to do with combing the flax, his father John was a carter.

Christopher

Re: Willix/McKissick
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:01:07 PM »
Hi kari.

Welcome to the Forum.

Is that Willis or Willix?

What denomination were the family?

Christopher

kari

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »
Its Willix and they were presbyterian and C.O.I

ballykeel

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »
Hi Kari

Welcome to the forum, have found the following which may be of use to you:-

Civil Marriage   28 Nov 1854  William McDowell   Anne Willix   St Annes C of I   Shankill   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage   14 Sept 1863   Samuel Willix   Mary Patton   Belfast Civil Registrars Office   Shankill   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage   24 Dec 1870  James Willix  Mary Glover   St. Annes C of I   Shankill   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage   25 Dec 1896   Robert Glover Willix   Sarah Jane Johnston   St. Johns Laganbank C of I   Knockbreda   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage   06 Apr 1901   William James McKissick   Jane Willix   St. Johns Laganbank C of I   Knockbreda   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage   20 Nov 1906   Richard Boden   Agnes Willix   St. Johns Laganbank C of I   Knockbreda   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage   28 Aug 1911  Samuel George Woods   Mary Willix   St Johns Laganbank C of I   Knockbreda   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage  04 Feb 1919  George Charles Shivers   Ann Willix   St Johns Laganbank C of I   Knockbreda   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage  06 Sept 1921  David Willix   Mary Elizabeth McGrath   St Johns Laganbank C of I   Knockbreda   Belfast   Antrim

Civil Marriage   31 Oct 1859   John McKissick   Agnes Shields   Lisburn Civil Registrars Office   Blaris   Lisburn   Antrim/Down

Civil Birth   12 Sept 1872   Robert Glover Willix   (M)   James Willix   Mary Glover   Belfast   Belfast No. 6   Antrim

Civil Birth   30 Apr 1874   David Willix   (M)   James Willix   Mary Glover   Belfast   Belfast No. 6    Antrim

Civil Birth  30 Mar 1874  Archibald McKissick   (M)   John McKissick   Agnes Sheals   Lisburn   Lisburn   Antrim/Down

Wills Calenders

Date.           25 April 1898
Probate.      1898
Name.         Robert McKissick
County.       Antrim/Down
Residence.   18 Lavinia Street, Belfast

I do hope that some of this is of use to you, good luck with your continued search.

Regards
Bkeel O0

'Love all, trust few, always paddle your own canoe'

kari

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »
Thank you for all the information. It'll be a great help.

MHHenry

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »
Hi, Would love to here from anyone with information on the Willix family , I have them in Henrietta St. in 1901 . nothing before that. They are my fathers mothers family. Also McKissick I have them in Dromara around the mid 1800's , I know that is pretty good going get back that far, thats my dads fathers side . My mother was also a McKissick I have managed to find the connection , their greatgrand fathers were brothers. Mum is from Sandy Row, Glenalpen Street. Her father John was a Hackler, to do with combing the flax, his father John was a carter.

A connection with 11th November:
Can you connect John McKissock, killed in action 1st World War - possibly the only John McKissick listed as killed in action - as Pte 23024, 1st Battalion Cameronians(Scottish Rifles) died 29/10/1916 from Govan, Glasgow (which my son advises is where Harland and Wolff had a yard) with James M McKissick Argyll & Southern Highlanders Pte S 17305?  Are you aware of any connection with your family?
If so, please let me know.
MHHenry

kari

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 07:04:39 PM »
Hi, Sorry no connection, but I did have a greatuncle Thomas McKissick 19624,10th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles who died on 13/08/1917. His name is on the Menin Gate Memorial.

mealey

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 04:01:16 PM »
Hi,
     I have a George McKissack married to Mary Jane Clarke 14 Sept. 1897 in my family tree I presume it was his brother James McKissick who was named as  his best man. As on a lot of old records the spelling is sometimes interpretated as McKissack they also had some connection in scotland and he was an engineer in the shipyards.
                      Sam Mealey
Sammy Mealey

kari

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:57:48 PM »
I have a few James but never came across a George .My mum has said her father John talked a lot about Scotland and loved the music. The only one who worked in the shipyard was her brother William and on Dads side his brother Tom. I could be wronge but I believe there is a part of Scotland near Fort William where there are a lot of McKIssicks.

Allan

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 04:22:56 AM »

Kari
My g.grandmother on my Dad's side was Sarah McKissick, dau. of John, the carter and sister of John, the hackler.  I have only gone back as far as John Sr. Parents, Thomas, but I have quite a bit on his descendants.  I believe your mother is my 1st cousin 2x rem.  Dad's family were all from Sandy Row, and he was an avid Linfield supporter.

boops

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »
The McKissick family owned a grocery shop on the corner of  Felt st and Hunter st., Sandy Row.