Author Topic: Belfast's Italian Surnames  (Read 38963 times)

Christopher

Belfast's Italian Surnames
« on: July 25, 2006, 03:54:45 PM »
There were many Italian people in Belfast in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Names such as Capitano, Forte, Fusco, Marconi, Morelli, Notarantonio, Rossi and Vergatti were common. The less common ones included Dragonetti, Marcello, Pasquale and  Saclio.

I'm assisting with the search for an Italian named Maria Monteverde. (both her maiden name and married name was Monteverde) Her granddaughter tells me Maria died in Belfast at the age of 103 sometime between 1920 and 1935. Maria is supposed to have owned a ship's chandlers in Belfast. As that name is not appearing in the chandlery businesses it is possible that she remarried when her husband Montverde died.

You can imagine my surprise when looking through the 1987 street directory I noticed the name P. Monteverde, freight operator who lived at 57, Grace Avenue, Belfast. Unfortunately my directory does not have an alphabetical list of people living in Belfast so I do not know if more Monteverdes lived in Belfast in 1987

giannineo

Re: Belfast's Italian Surnames
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:29:41 PM »
Borzi on the Ormeau Road ran a fish and chip take away and sold ice cream.The University Cafe opposite the Club Bar was an Italian chipper with sit in.It was known as Smoky Joes to Methody boys who went in there for lunch  and a ciggie or three.Alookout for prefects was posted on a voluntary rota system i.e the big boys told wee boys to keep'dick' or else.A bonus was the gorgeous daughter of the owner.Her name was Maria and I loved her from the age of 14 -17 albeit she was much older than me and out of my league(say"Aw")..She later owned the Montmartre on the Stranmillis Road with her husband(not me).

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:01:16 AM »
A freight operator ... would he own a truck or merely work for a business like Northern Ireland Carriers?

EllCee

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:52:12 PM »
Also Scapaticci and Meli certainly in later years. 

I don't know if the Caffolas and Capronis had any businesses in Belfast.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »
There's a lovely ice cream shop on the Woodstock Road, Les. Is if Caffolas?

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 09:36:08 PM »
I think Fusco.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

beegee

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 01:26:39 AM »
and we had a near neighbour in trafalgar st called    Trezoni

eddiec

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 12:17:08 PM »
There are several cafes in Ards owned by Caffolas
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Satchmo

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 07:35:15 PM »
Phil Fusco operated a fish n' chip shop on the Grosvenor Rd all through the years of my youth. On Friday evenings we would catch a movie at the Ritz, and stop of fish n' chips on the way home, yummy!

MAgeeka

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 07:50:20 PM »
Satchmo
Fuscos also had great ice cream.

cos

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 09:41:02 PM »
They still do Mageeka! They have a very popular ice -cream shop on the Andersonstown road beside Casement park.there are photos up on the wall of their older establishments and one of the original Fuscos.A man with glasses and wavy black hair-probably taken in the 40`s or 50`s.The ice cream there is expensive but different class!

Satchmo

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 09:43:48 PM »
The man with glasses and wavy black hair would have been Phil. He has two sons that I recall. Angelo and Carlo, and two daughters whose names escape me.

MAgeeka

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 10:21:49 PM »
Where the girls good lookers Satchmo ?
My Sis inlaw lived about 60 yards from Fuscos
She lived in Mc Donnell St

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 09:44:59 AM »
John Fusco had a cafe at 312 - 314, Upper Newtownards Road beside the Co-op in 1960. I think Angela and Christine Fusco that I knew lived at Edgcumbe Gardens. Christine was a good water skier. There were a couple of dozen Fuscos listed in the 1960 street directory. Just above the Fuscos there are Fuscardis who also had cafes.

MAgeeka

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 05:06:40 PM »
Chris
There were also Fusco's cafes in Dublin.
Don't know if they were related to the Belfast Fusco's