Author Topic: Belfast's Italian Surnames  (Read 40376 times)

bjay

Re: Belfast's Italian Surnames
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
Chris,  I am sure you know that Orby, Pommern, Trigo, Grand Parade etc. were named after racehorses………………..I believe they were all Derby winners.
The builder of the streets  in that area was a horse racing fan.

stranmillis v

« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »
Rember as a boy in the 50's Smokey Joes/Fuschardis/Universtyy cafe opposite the club bar. I was raised just round the corner in Camden Street. Also in 70's remember a girl from Andersonstown park called louise Fusco, girlfriend of Frank Donnelly at the time.

did you know the Harley`s from Camden st?
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

stranmillis v

« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
That was the Montmarte (now a Chinese place). They were definitely related to the University Road people. I remember the lady who owned it was called Lucy. Don't remember the husband's name.

he was called Vincent.
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

SamG

« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »
The Adelaide chippy on the Lisburn Road in the mid sixties was run (owned??) by Giuseppe Fuscardi who was known to us simply as Joe.  The highlight of the week was in there for splendid fish and chips after the final delivery of the Pink Edition and collection of our wages.
We were convinced at the time that Giuseppe invented the ice cream float but looking back now it was probably available in many chippys.

Several years later on one of my annual trips back home I was walking down Bridge Street in Lisburn and past a chippy on the left and when I looked in Giuseppe was behind the counter serving up fish suppers.  It is one of my greatest regrets that I simply walked on past and didn’t call in and say hello.
Was I really in such a hurry?

Because of my stupidity I have lost touch with a proper friend who always made us welcome in those carefree days even though we never had much to spend. 
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

tboy

« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
The Adelaide chippy on the Lisburn Road in the mid sixties was run (owned??) by Giuseppe Fuscardi who was known to us simply as Joe.  The highlight of the week was in there for splendid fish and chips after the final delivery of the Pink Edition and collection of our wages.
We were convinced at the time that Giuseppe invented the ice cream float but looking back now it was probably available in many chippys.

Several years later on one of my annual trips back home I was walking down Bridge Street in Lisburn and past a chippy on the left and when I looked in Giuseppe was behind the counter serving up fish suppers.  It is one of my greatest regrets that I simply walked on past and didn’t call in and say hello.
Was I really in such a hurry?

Because of my stupidity I have lost touch with a proper friend who always made us welcome in those carefree days even though we never had much to spend.
I think we have all done it, one way or another, 'too busy' to attend a funeral? drive past an old friends house on a visit home? must be an 'Ulster' thing.

JJ48

« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »
Vincent Harley lived just across the street from me in Camden Street. He was a bit older than me back in the 50's. I remember my mother used to get him to take me to the Ormeau baths, when I was about 4 or 5.

iritalia

« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Also Scapaticci and Meli certainly in later years. 

I don't know if the Caffolas and Capronis had any businesses in Belfast.

Enrico Caproni did have a shop at Duncairn Gardens in the early 1900's before making the permanent move to Bangor.

Forte's cafe was also, if I remember rightly, in Castle St. further up from Victor's on the left hand side.

stranmillis v

« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
Vincent Harley lived just across the street from me in Camden Street. He was a bit older than me back in the 50's. I remember my mother used to get him to take me to the Ormeau baths, when I was about 4 or 5.

thanks for reply.

Marshmallow

« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
Speaking of Forte's cafe in Castle St, here is a photo of the late proprietor Peter Forte taken the year before he died in Italy. Thought I'd repost if here as the cafe was mentioned.

Some of us are here!

ouldoll

« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
I've just had notification sent to an old email address that someone messaged me re The Fortes but I can't see my messages. If you reply to this post, I should be able to see it.

Witch

« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2015, 04:07:00 AM »
Christine Fusco now lives in Canada, as does her brother George.

Iolanda

« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
Hello, I am Iolanda Serci, the daughter of Dante Serci. My beautiful father passed away last year aged 87. He was friendly with Leo Forte. When Leo was a solicitor he did some work for my father. would anyone know of Leo's sons and if they were also solicitors. I am trying to trace Leo's family.  My mother is Maria Felloni and my Uncle Adolfus were friendly with the Fuscos.

Creaky

« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »
There was a family called Nicoletti (not sure of the spelling) lived in North Belfast. I think they were from the Joanmount area. One of them, Terence Nicoletti went to the Boys' Model School
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

pflanagan132

« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
Surprising how many of the Italians aligned themselves with the Republican cause in Northern Ireland. Angelo Forte, Francisco Notarontonio, Joe Raffo were all interned. Notarantonio, an old man then, was murdered in his bed in 1987. Shortly before his death in 1967, Joe Raffo travelled with an Irish soccer team to Italy, acting as interpreter.

I think most of them came from northern Italy, and as well as working in the catering trade, some were engaged in church decoration, being skilled mosaic and terrazzo workers.

Hetty07

« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »
Hi I'm looking for any italian connections to a great aunt Eva Matassa who married my great uncle surname ( Carroll ) all I know is that there was a connection to an icecream shop possibly york street ...