Author Topic: New Lodge  (Read 54840 times)

Dark Lady

Re: New Lodge
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
Yes that's very true, my Granny never spoke about it,all my own mother said was my Granny was knitting sock's the night of the attack, So sorry you lost so many of your family that awful night

gismo

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2017, 02:35:18 AM »
I knew a Margret Thompson from the nw lodge she worked in savilles in the sixties irember her boyfriend was in the merchant navy I wonder what become of her gismo

Dark Lady

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2017, 10:17:16 PM »
Anybody floating around who ventured to Clanchatten st&remembers name of the corner shop?

geraldine williamson

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2017, 08:02:25 PM »
I knew a Margret Thompson from the nw lodge she worked in savilles in the sixties irember her boyfriend was in the merchant navy I wonder what become of her gismo
Is this the Margaret Thompson who lived in Dawson Street, she had a sister named Teresa?  I heard recently that Teresa was married and is still alive.  Her brother Danny passed away but his grandson sent me word of these events  recently.  Think Margaret passed away according to him.

Blueflulew

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »

I used to go with a lovely wee Girl in the New Lodge, she lived in the high rise flats. Veronica Slaven, she was a dark haired beauty. We did not go out that long , not my choice. I was a Prod and this was in 1968/69, just when the troubles were starting to kick off. I lived in the White City , down the Serpintine road. I used to either drop her off or sometimes get asked in for a cup of tea. I think she had two Brothers(49 years ago this)
Anyway one night her Dad said to me, son, it is best you don't come back, your being watched. I suppose I was being warned off.
I wonder how things would have panned out if times had been different. Funny how life turns out , I still ended upmarrying a good Catholic girl I had two boys and both have Sean in there names. I have me Irish passport. I remember my mate Billy telling I was the only Prod he ever knew who was a Republican.I spent all my working life from the age of 20 in the Merchant Navy.I live in France now.
Is it because I am getting older my mind drifts back to old girl friends and times gone by.
I live not far from Bordeaux and with my youngest son we go and watch the football (Liverpool fans) in a pub called the Connemara which is owned and run by a guy about my age who comes fromthe New Lodge Rd area.

sj

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2017, 11:46:06 PM »

I used to go with a lovely wee Girl in the New Lodge, she lived in the high rise flats. Veronica Slaven, she was a dark haired beauty. We did not go out that long , not my choice. I was a Prod and this was in 1968/69, just when the troubles were starting to kick off. I lived in the White City , down the Serpintine road. I used to either drop her off or sometimes get asked in for a cup of tea. I think she had two Brothers(49 years ago this)
Anyway one night her Dad said to me, son, it is best you don't come back, your being watched. I suppose I was being warned off.
I wonder how things would have panned out if times had been different. Funny how life turns out , I still ended upmarrying a good Catholic girl I had two boys and both have Sean in there names. I have me Irish passport. I remember my mate Billy telling I was the only Prod he ever knew who was a Republican.I spent all my working life from the age of 20 in the Merchant Navy.I live in France now.
Is it because I am getting older my mind drifts back to old girl friends and times gone by.
I live not far from Bordeaux and with my youngest son we go and watch the football (Liverpool fans) in a pub called the Connemara which is owned and run by a guy about my age who comes fromthe New Lodge Rd area.

I wouls say that the father might not have been warning you off but was concerned about you .   Either way you are living in a beautiful part of the world.  I had great friends from that area who moved away to areas like the White City or Mount Vernon because of the troubles.  I have never been able to find them but at that time we lived near the Duncairn Gdns and Hallidays road .  The name Slavin was a famous one as Paddy Slavin, Irish Heavyweight champion lived in the area.     Would be interesting to know the name of the bloke who manages the pub.  We live in Australia.  Good luck Mon Ami.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Blueflulew

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »
Oh her Da was not anti me , he was concerned for my well being. I know that for a fact her brothers were also okay with me, we used to have the odd beer now and then, they were good lads but got caught up in what was going down. I suspect they were told to make sure I kept out of the area for my own well being. It was a time of mistrust in any area were there was a predominant group be it the Falls or the Shankill.

sj

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2017, 03:33:38 AM »
Well spoken by an exile who now seems to lead a great life.   How long have you been in France with your family? :)

Blueflulew

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2017, 10:21:38 PM »
I have been here twice first time it was just a holiday home. I spent nearly all my working life at sea with the Merchant Navy. I retired in 2013 after 43 years. My son lives in Bordeaux , he told me he was getting married so I asked him if there would be any grand children. No he says we are all about our careers, well I hope he knowsmore about his career than they do about birth control , our grandaughter will be 4 in November. We moved down to Spain for 3 years and have been back  here 18 months now.

sj

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »
What a good reply.     You were wise to stay away but not everyone will agree.    ;)  I lost many friends who moved from the area.

sweenytodd

« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2018, 12:22:38 AM »
Hi Sam are you still on this page

sj

« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2018, 01:25:38 AM »
Hello Hugh,

Yes and have not heard of or from you in ages.  I woke up in the middle of the night a few weeks ago and thought that I should contact you but then promptly forgot.
How are you? :)

sweenytodd

« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »
No point in moaning Sam But here goes Ha HA  I am great having great time driving fast cars round Ireland and Europe on the Cannonball run my only hobby now, spent a lot off the summer down in Spain where i met up with Joe not his self this year did not see a lot off him
Bad news was Bernie and i were in Gran Canaria in April and Bernie had a Stroke it sure has affected our life but thank god she is a lot better now still a little slow and forgetful a big change But it could have been a lot worse She is still alive and i still have her Thank God, Whats happening at your end ??
good to see you are still about .

ouldoll

« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »

I come from Glengormley and my Dad was brought up in Burlington Street. I know his family lost their home during an air-raid as there was a rule that, if you left your council house and someone else moved in, they had squatters' rights.  He slept on a relative's sofa till he and my Mum got married in 1944.
Anyway, I have been ill since 2002 with CFS/ME. I knew I would never work again and I would go mad if I didn't do something so I started to write a novel in about 2005. I went to Fortwilliam 1971 - 77 and I had a lot of friends from the New Lodge. Four of us, including one girl from the New Lodge and two from Ardoyne, sat together for about four years so my novel has four girls who become friends in Form 3 and follows them till they are 18-19. It covers the period 1977-1981. One of the two main characters comes from Glengormley. She isn't me but I wanted to use my memories of life in Glengormley at the time when I was talking about the character's background. The other main character lives on the New Lodge Road. I have visited people there in the early 80s but I have never been to Ardoyne and I needed to write about someone who came from a Catholic area. I haven't been able to write for a few years as I have had other issues to deal with besides my health but I want to get back to it. I have written about 60,000 words and am now at the beginning of 1980. If anyone would like to help me with some background information about the New Lodge during 1980 - 1981 please message me privately. The post from Blueflulew who had a Catholic girlfriend and was warned he wouldn't be safe is very like a situation in my novel. My Catholic girl from the New Lodge Road has a Protestant boyfriend and he will suffer for that, not from her family, but from others. It won't split them up, though!

sj

« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »
No point in moaning Sam But here goes Ha HA  I am great having great time driving fast cars round Ireland and Europe on the Cannonball run my only hobby now, spent a lot off the summer down in Spain where i met up with Joe not his self this year did not see a lot off him
Bad news was Bernie and i were in Gran Canaria in April and Bernie had a Stroke it sure has affected our life but thank god she is a lot better now still a little slow and forgetful a big change But it could have been a lot worse She is still alive and i still have her Thank God, Whats happening at your end ??
good to see you are still about .

Hello Hugh,
I thought that I had replied to you? in a p.m.   Did you receive one??

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy