Author Topic: New Lodge  (Read 54860 times)

sj

Re: New Lodge
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:59:17 PM »
 Another friend was Tommy Cole who went to Carrickfergus where he had his own business.  A good few of those names went onto greater things and a good number went onto St Malachy's college.....including John Mc Cauley.  There was also but not in my class a big bloke called Kelly who lived in Hillman St and not long ago , according the the Belfast Telegraph on line , he retired from a graet position in the civil service.   I am also forgetting the Darragh family who had Billy in the boys and two girls in the girls section.    ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

sweenytodd

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 12:20:39 AM »
Tommy Cole lived in Stratheden St  Cant remember  John Mc Cauley Darraghs lived at bottom off road ?? MY cousin Jim O Connor i think would have been same time as you Sam. Met a guy in portugal last week you might know played basketball for belfast celtic  Gus   can't remember his second name

sj

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 02:58:01 AM »
Hugh. .John Mc Cauley lived in Spamount St and after the Star went to St Malachy's and lives in Perth, Australia.   Billy Darragh lived almost facing the front door of the school on Hallidays Rd.   I remember Gus who if I remember correctly was not tall and was Fergus Donnelly???   The coach of the basketball team might also have been Fergus Woods. ;)   Anthony Haughey was also in my class at the Star.  He now lives on the Limestone Rd and flies ultralights.

sweenytodd

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 11:24:47 PM »
Sam the gus i met was quite tall  told us he was 71 knew Mick Gilroy and the Brennans  i would say a bit off a case

sj

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »
 So ..why is there a thread to the New Lodge Road and noone posting on it.? :)

sweenytodd

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »
Must be only us two left from the Area Sam 

lets try this where in new lodge area did you live ?????

112 New lodge Rd

sj

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:26 AM »
 When I lived there my street was not in the New Lodge area but now seemingly it is.   I heard years ago that I grew up in a deprived area but thankfully I didn't know that.  The area was more mixed than I realised.  One side of the New Lodge Rd near the Antrim Rd was very Protestant and almost all of the area between New Lodge and Duncairn Gdns must have been 85% Protestant.   It was a great place with two schools in the  area.  One on Hallidays Rd & another one in the middle of Hillman St.  The New Lodge had a school mid way down towards North Queen St and I think another one at the bottom of the road not to mention two boxing clubs.  There were lots of pubs but no churches. :)   Can anyone remember anything else....there must have been many fish & chip shops.

sweenytodd

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
Sam no fish and chip shops when we were growing up the nearest was on the antrim rd round the corner from Lynches pub Morellies ice cream shop on New Lodge and another one on Stratheden st and edlingham st What did you call the sweet shop on the other corner first chipper was i think opened by Tucker Kelly just up from Lepper st beside Jimmy Leech Old memories coming back

sj

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 04:55:25 AM »
Hugh I don't know as I tended to go to the Duncairn Gdns.  The chippie near Lynch's pub was the Cosy Cafe.  I was in it on the night when the death of Buddy Holly was announced ....I remember it because a girl about the same age as me played his record " Crying in the Rain ' on the juke box.   That was a very sad fish & chip shop while the record was playing. :o

hilda kelly

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »
i lived in donore st and the paper shop on the antrim rd was bells the butchers was davy caucheys the shop below the lyceum was called o'neills there was also a bookies and another shop run by the andersons i left belfast in '64 i went back 2 weeks ago and could not believe how the "lodge" has changed

sweenytodd

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »
Hi Hilda good to see Sam and i are not on our own, The Lodge has changed a lot i think for the worse But i don't live there so don't really know IThe house i lived in is demolished and they left houses across the road which my cousin lived in standing and they had no bathrooms all the ones they knocked down had  Rant over

sj

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
 Good to see that you got back to Belfast Hilda. . ;)   When I was very young I went to a dentist which was in a row of houses below the cosy cafe and going into town.  The dentist was Jewish and he had a man servant who opened the door wearing a blue apron and a bowler hat  and sat me in the front room until the dentist had finished.    There were a number of Jewish people living onthat part of the Antrim Road. ;)

jimn

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
Anybody know where Billy Darragh is now or Paddy O`Neill lived in big house Cnr of Donore St, previous ly Danny Mathews lived there ?

sweenytodd

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »
Ye Sam the Synagog was in Ansley st Beside St Malachys

sweenytodd

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »
What year you talking Jim

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy