Author Topic: New Lodge  (Read 54829 times)

jimn

Re: New Lodge
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
1956 to 1963

sweenytodd

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »
Ye JIm i lived there at same time  Where did you live

jimn

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Lothair Ave Newington.Went to Holy Family

sweenytodd

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
Jim i went to holy family  Mr cush head master Gerry tracey was my last teacher before 11 plus  My aunt lived at top off lother and uncle lived on Oceanic started holy family 1950 left i think 1955

hilda kelly

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 10:45:09 PM »
ther used to be a jewess who lived in the antrim rd and her back yard was in donore st as kids we used to say she was a witch and poisoned cats (because they always seemed to disappear) and we said she painted her lips with blood  .she always had big red lips oh the things we imagined when we were kid ha ha

sweenytodd

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »
Jim hope you got my PM still not great on this computer Yes Hilda they all seemed to have big lips does anyone remember the little Jewish man who ran the photography studio at carlise circus think you called Jerome

sj

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 11:53:15 PM »
  Hilda my memory of that woman came back with a bang when you described her.  She had a very white face and wore a fur around her neck.  The dentists was in the same row and backed onto Dunore street.

Billy Darragh was a friend who lived opposite the school and went to the Star for about 7 years.   I met him about 1976 for the first time since leaving school.  He moved a few times because of the troubles and I never saw him again.  I believe that he lives in Short Strand or around St James area. He had a brother Tommy who lived in the area . :)   
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

johnmc

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 02:47:45 AM »

Likewise Sam. The lady uded to totter along Antrim Rd, dressed to the nines, high heels ,fox  fur boa.
                Plenty of make up.Just one of the people that made the Lodge area.
                     Do you recall " wee johnny " from upper Spamount? Kids thought he done away with cats he caught
                            johnmc

sj

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »
 No John.  >:D certainly not Upper Spamount St. .that was an upmarket deprived area. ;)

hilda kelly

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »
hi sweenytodd the jerome was in the town i think it was in north street we all used to get our communion photos done there and incidently i dont think any of us thought we lived in a deprived area because we were all in the "same boat "

sj

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
That is the point Hilda. .we didn't know that we lived in a deprived area until the govt told us so. ....Jerome was at Carlisle Circus but he didn;t appear until the late 1950 or so.....then I think that his daughter took over the business.    He was indeed Jewish as were many of the small business people.
I can remember watching the Jewish community walking down the Antrim Rd from our area and the Cliftonville Rd on Saturday mornings.  Theiir businesses closed on Saturday but opened on Sunday. ;)

johnmc

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »

Jerome took our wedding photos -1958
                johnmc

sweenytodd

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
The Guy that owned Jerome was very small like Danny Divito  small and his wife was a huge woman,he definitely had small man syndrome.
His home was broken into one time and he was telling me and my boss off what was robbed and everthing he told us was big tv big pictures big standard lamps everthing was big he even drove a big Armstrong Sidley  But a nice guy Cant remember his name

hilda kelly

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 06:53:07 PM »
i stand corrected sj and you're so right about the government we were mostly a happy community who would help one another irrespect of what religion your neighbour was we all had our own beliefs and respected each other as working class people

sj

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2015, 12:59:32 AM »
i stand corrected sj and you're so right about the government we were mostly a happy community who would help one another irrespect of what religion your neighbour was we all had our own beliefs and respected each other as working class people

Hilda when I was at primary school I had one Catholic friend and 5 Protestant friends.  They went to the Model & Mountcollyer schools later. Of those 5 blokes 4 didn't have a father , they were killed in the war, and we were great friends.  None of them became criminals or delinquents because they had grandparents who helped look after them.   After the troubles they had moved and I had moved and I have not seen them since.   I have tried by looking up phone books but I haven't a clue which area they would live in. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy