Author Topic: New Lodge  (Read 10334 times)

sj

Re: New Lodge
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
 I think that I could run faster than Hugh????    I don't think that Hugh was an Astorite ........a fan of the Astor ?  Where did you dance Hugh? ;)  Bernie and I were both discerning dancers and went to the Astor but she had I think more time than I had. I spent a lot of time with your wifes brother in law.( working and study )
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

sweenytodd

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2016, 11:51:28 PM »
Yes Sam i Met Bernie in the Astor used to go with a few lads from the New Lodge. she was going out with some Waiter from the Midland who i used to cut his hair,  Didnt cut his throat ha ha Met Bernie and we are married 52 very happy years. Moved to Dublin 1971 But Always have traveled back to Belfast  B have lost touch with a lot off old friends Working to hard  But hopefully it has paid off for my Family

sj

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2016, 01:38:16 AM »
 Well I didn't know that you had such discerning tastes and that the Astor would let you in?? :D ........I moved away about 64 and missed the Astor although Rosslare had good dances

McNamee

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Yes Sam i Met Bernie in the Astor used to go with a few lads from the New Lodge. she was going out with some Waiter from the Midland who i used to cut his hair,  Didnt cut his throat ha ha Met Bernie and we are married 52 very happy years. Moved to Dublin 1971 But Always have traveled back to Belfast  B have lost touch with a lot off old friends Working to hard  But hopefully it has paid off for my Family

For a minute there I thought you were talking about me when you said Bernie,  I'm thinking  I married WHO?   OK I will keep taking the medication....lol lol  Give me a little chuckle tho....xx

sj

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
 Sorry Bernie.   Hugh also has a Bernie? ::)

sweenytodd

« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »
Sorry Bernie and Sam got the wrong end off the stick I married a Bernie  [The Queen as I call her] she was a regular at the Astor as a matter off fact she lived next door to it when it was the Kingsway

sweenytodd

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2016, 04:47:20 PM »
Sam you mentioned Roslaire in your last post  did you move there we have a summer home in the Strand

sj

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2016, 10:21:29 PM »
 Hugh......Did your Bernie eventually move to the Duncairn Gdns?.   I moved to Wexford and became asst manager of White's which was then a small hotel in an extension mode and then I came to the Slieve Donard as ast manager.  Wexford was a lovely place with lovely people and the girls were delighted to meet a stranger. :)
I went to dances at the ******* hotel , Rosslare,on the strand ,which had wonderful dances.

sweenytodd

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:49 AM »
2Hotels on Roslaire strand Sam Kellys the best and most expensive Have a look at their prices and it is hard to get a reservation Nice Balroom and Ceders which has been closed down since the recession,My oponion a good hotelier could make a great success off SO out you come from retirement Sam
Sorry Sam got lost yes Bernie did move to Duncairn Gds With Nora and Dom both who i am sad to say are deceased Rip

sj

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2016, 03:35:34 AM »
 It was Kellys who had the dances.  Next time in Wexford have a look at Whites hotel on the main St .....behind which was born Oscar Wildes mother.?  Great history....just around the corner from Whites is a ruin which was Selskar Abbey where Henry 2nd came to do penance after the murder of Thomas Beckett ( Archbishop of Canterbury )
 :o

Dark Lady

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
There was a chippy on the road across from Burlington street, Didn't Rosie Hughes have siblings Ann&Jim? Think he may've worked for the post office,

Dark Lady

« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »
Regarding Burke street. My Granny lost her house in the German air raid.Thankfully not her or her children lives.I still have her ration book

ab196

« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
Hi Dark Lady

Relatives of my family were also caught up in the air raid on Burke Street and sadly they all lost their lives. I think the entire street was wiped out.

Dark Lady

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
So sad they told my grandfather his family were all dead,Only by some miracle they had survived, don't think many did

ab196

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2017, 07:26:07 PM »
It's good to know some good news came from that terrible time. I'm sure your grandfather was devastated when he first heard.

Five of my grandfather's relatives died. The eldest was 72 and the youngest was only 3 years old - all from the same family. Sad times.