Author Topic: Duncairn Gardens  (Read 1604 times)

eileen9

Duncairn Gardens
« on: April 21, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
I have been searching for years for an old friend who lived on Duncairn Gardens.  I moved away from Belfast in 1974 and lost contact.  Her name is Maura McCappin and she lived on the right side of Duncairn Gardens as you look down from the Antrim Road.  She was an only child and lived there with her parents.  I think she would be around 65 now.  My husband seems to remember her saying she would like to emigrate - maybe to Canada, but I don't recall that.  I would really like to hear anything about Maura.  I have exhausted all internet searches.  It is a bit more difficult to find a female as she may have married.  Thanks.

Rory

Re: Duncairn Gardens
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 05:37:33 AM »
I think that I met her about 20 or 25 years ago she was living in Vancouver, Canada. I heard that she moved to an area north of Vancouver called the Sunshine Coast, maybe Gibsons or Schelt.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »

I think that I met her about 20 or 25 years ago she was living in Vancouver, Canada. I heard that she moved to an area north of Vancouver called the Sunshine Coast, maybe Gibsons or Schelt.

There was definitely someone of that name in the general area, for there are several online references.

For example, someone with the name Maura McCappin got a mention on page 10 of the 'Coast News' of 15 June 1987, the reference was to a band of local musicians playing at a dinner dance at Pender Harbour and it said 'Maura McCappin, Sechelt, fresh from the Emerald Isle herself and a mean spoon player':
https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/bcnewspapers/xcoastnews/items/1.0172515#p9z-4r0f:

Fast forward to November 2011, when someone with the name Maura McCappin of St. Mary's got a mention in the following Knights of Columbus magazine, the specific council concerned served Holy Family Parish in Sechelt and St. Mary's Parish in Gibsons:  http://kofc11244.net/docs/Nov11.pdf

And fast forward to June 2014, when this article from the 'Coast Reporter' had a reference to a Maura McCappin taking part as a beginner in a tap dancing event in Gibsons, British Columbia:
http://www.coastreporter.net/entertainment/arts-entertainment/what-s-on-tap-in-gibsons-1.1116429

Spudz

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »
Between Eileen and myself I was able to make contact with her just before Christmas 2017 living in Gibsons area.
Spudz

Margaret 22

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:02:55 AM »
I am answering for Maura, she would like to contact Eileen, and has asked me to post a message.

eileen9

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
Margaret I have pm'd you.

margaret gibson

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »
hi i am also looking for a old friend,lived on the left side of duncairn gardens, i left in 1973 to come to australia her maiden name was liz kerr she would be about 70 now, would love to get in touch with her. thanks margaret gibson.

eileen9

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
I have just come back on this thread to say that I have now been in contact with Maura in Canada and I spoke with her on the phone today.  Huge thanks to Rory, CMcG, Spudz and Margaret 22.  You have all made the impossible possible.   :clapping: :dance: