Author Topic: marriage John Farrell Frances Johnston Trinity Church Shankill  (Read 4901 times)

melsi_d

Hi there,
I have the civil registry of John Farrell to Francis Johnston married on the   20/11/1899 at the Trinity Church of Ireland. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in how I could get a copy or more information regarding their parents names where they were born ect? They are the parents of my great grandmother Henrietta Farrell who married David Wright in Belfast before migrating to Australia. The Farrells lived in Duncairn Ward in 1911 and from what my nan tells me she grew up along the shore Rd. If anyone has any information of both the Farrell's or Wright families I'd love to hear from you.

Mel from Australia

sam barry

Re: marriage John Farrell Frances Johnston Trinity Church Shankill
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
Had a couple of credits left on a site, this might assist you for starters :
 Type    Civil Marriages
Date of Marriage   20/11/1899
Husband's Name   JOHN FARRELL
Husband's Address   BELFAST
Husband's Occupation   LABOURER
Husband's Age   FA
Husband's Denomination   Church of Ireland
Husband's Marital Status   Bachelor (Previously unmarried)
Husband's Father's Name   JOHN FARRELL
Husband's Father's Occupation   PLUMBER
Husband's Witness   WILLIAM PEARSON
Wife's Name   FRANCES JOHNSTON
Wife's Address   BELFAST
Wife's Age   FA
Wife's Denomination   Church of Ireland
Wife's Marital Status   Spinster (Previously unmarried)
Wife's Father's Name   HENRY JOHNSTON
Wife's Father's Occupation   CABINET MAKER
Wife's Witness   AGNES JOHNSTON
Comment   AFTER BANS REV R J CLARKE.
Address 1    TRINITY BELFAST Church of Ireland
Address 2    BELFAST
Address 3    SHANKILL

JimG

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »
     Trying to add to Sam Barry's contribution
Farrell,  John plumber I didn’t find him in 1901 or 1911 census or http://www.ancestryireland.com/ he could be Farrell, J., plumber & gas fitter, 43 Califronia Street
 or Farrell, J., plumber, 20 Portland Street in 1880 street directory see http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
children
Farrell,  John b.1876-7  24 Male Head of Family Church of England Belfast General Labourer Cannot read or write - Married – source The 1901 irish census   for 8 in Grove Street (Dock Ward, Antrim) The 1911 census says Rivetters labourer

Johnston, Henry cabinet maker I couldn’t find him in 1901 or 1911 census, he could be Johnston, H., cabinet maker, 29 Beech Street in 1880 Belfast St Directory see http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
children
Johnston, Francis  married as
Farrell , Francis b.1876-7  24 Female Wife Church of England Belfast - Read and write - Married –
-source The 1901 irish census   for 8 in Grove Street (Dock Ward, Antrim)

John Farrell and Francis Johnston
children
1.Farrell,  Elizabeth  b 1900- 1/10 Female Daughter Church of England – source The 1901 irish census   for 8 in Grove Street (Dock Ward, Antrim) and The 1911 irish census   for 20 in Ayr (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)
2. Farrell, Joseph    b 1902-3  8    source The 1911 irish census   for  20 in Ayr (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)
3. Farrell, Henrietta b 1904-5      6 source The 1911 irish census   for 20 in Ayr (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)
4. Farrell, John b 1907 -1   3 source The 1911 irish census   for 20 in Ayr (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)
5. Farrell, Maggie b 1910-1 source The 1911 irish census   for 20 in Ayr (Duncairn Ward, Antrim)

I almost forget from PRONI church record guide C.I. Trinity (Connor diocese)
Baptisms, 1844-1941 and 1956-79; marriages, 1855-
1983;vestry minute books, 1892-1995; committee
minute books,1892-99; preachers’ books, 1885-1942
and 1956-93; pew register, 1883-1901; register of
vestrymen, 1870-1932; confirmation register, 1956-71;
plan of the church by John Fraser, 1843.
Index to baptisms, 1844-77.
MIC583/4; D523/A-C; CR/1/3

In Microfilm Room

hoping thats helpful a bit
Good luck JimG

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »
Just posting the 1901 and 1911 census links so that anyone reading your thread can quickly see them:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Grove_Street/935835/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Ayr/132298/

I can clear up John Farrell.  He was born on 19 July 1875 to parents John Farrell (plumber) and Eliza Ferguson, the address was 3 Antrim Street, GRONI online has the civil record of birth. Parents John Farrell senior and Eliza Ferguson got married on 4 October 1869 in Belfast, his father was also John Farrell, hers was John Ferguson, GRONI online has the civil record of marriage.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

sam barry

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:16:06 PM »
Are these relatives ?

Name of deceased    John Farrell
Last place of residence    20 Ayr St
Age   50 Years
Sex   
Date of death   12 September 1931
Date of burial   15 September 1931
Cemetery   City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension
Grave section and number   D1 276
Burial Type   Earth Burial

Others in the same grave:

Occupants of grave D1 276, City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension
Forename    Surname   Age    Date of death    Date of burial    Cemetery    Details    Record image
John   Farrell   50 Years   12 September 1931   15 September 1931   City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension      

Frances   Farrell   80 Years   8 March 1957   11 March 1957   City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension      

Brenda Elizabeth   Milligan   4 Years   6 June 1957   8 June 1957   City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension      

Kenneth   Milligan   9 Weeks   25 April 1942   27 April 1942   City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension   

And this is probably the "Milligan" connection ?

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   21 May 1888
Groom Name   Emmanuel MILLIGAN
Bride Name   Charlotte  FARRELL
Church   Trinity Church of Ireland
Parish   Shankill
Civil District   Belfast
County   Antrim

sam barry

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Is this your David and Henrietta Wright  ??

Record details
Name of deceased    Mr David Wright
Last place of residence    6 Finvoy Street
Age   67 Years
Sex   
Date of death   6 November 1907
Date of burial   8 November 1907
Cemetery   City Cemetery
Grave section and number   G1 84
Burial Type   Earth Burial

Others in the same grave :

Occupants of grave G1 84, City Cemetery
Forename    Surname   Age    Date of death    Date of burial    Cemetery       
David   Bell   11 Mos   26 October 1897   28 October 1897   City Cemetery      

David   Wright   67 Years   6 November 1907   8 November 1907   City Cemetery      

Henrietta   Wright   64 Years   30 March 1911   1 April 1911   City Cemetery      

Henrietta   Wright   24 Years   23 September 1900   25 September 1900   City Cemetery      

Robert James   Wright   38 Yrs   20 January 1904   22 January 1904   City Cemetery      

melsi_d

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 11:09:05 PM »
Wow this is amazing, I cannot thank you all enough. The Farrell/Johnston information would have to be spot on. I do have them living in Ayr St from the census. Sam they aren't my great grandparents as they were both born around 1905 & died here in Australia however they may be relatives of some sort. I will have to work out the time line, David Wright's father was Thomas born 1869 so David could have been his father?

melsi_d

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 11:44:10 PM »
The Milligan has thrown me, do you suppose Charlotte could have been John's sister? Jimg are you saying above I can look up Trinity records, as I have found alot of ancestors have been married in this church. I'm blown away you all found this information so quickly I can't thank you enough

sam barry

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
This may help clear up the "Charlotte Farrell" connection ?

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   4 Oct 1849
Groom Name   David FARRELL
Bride Name   Oscilla  RULES
Church   Belfast Civil Registrars Office
Parish   Shankill
Civil District   Belfast
County   Antrim

Parish/District    ST ANNE'S
Address 1   BELFAST
Address 2    Shankill
Address 3    Belfast
Date of Birth   19/12/1862
Date of Baptism/Registration   19/12/1862
Father's First Name   DAVID
Father's Surname   FARRELL
Mother's First Name   URSILLA
Mother's Surname   RULES
Comment 2   REGISTRAR R B KIDD.

Other children from the Farrell/Rules marriage, just in case it might assist you in your research ?
 First Name   Surname   Year   Father's First Name   County   1 record = 2 credit(s)
ANNE    FARRELL   1853   DAVID   Antrim   Buy/View
EMMA   FARRELL   1857   DAVID   Antrim   Buy/View
CHARLETT   FARRELL   1862   DAVID   Antrim   View
DAVID   FARRELL   1865   DAVID   Antrim   Buy/View

sam barry

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
Just to give you more sleepless nights,
 FARRELL   DAVID   1849       (Father)   WILLIAM                Antrim   
RULES   OSCILLA   1849     (Father)   ALEXANDER          Antrim   

melsi_d

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 02:57:12 AM »
I've spoken to my nan today, she said the Milligan connection is Agnes Milligan (nee Johnston) who was Frances' sister. These are her 2 children. I'm not sure if David Farrell is a family member or not, unless I find a connection between him and John if they are brothers or something. Nan said St Anne's would have been the church they would of used and quite surprised I had found so many records with marriages at Trinity's. Great info yet again, thank you.

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 04:03:03 AM »

I can clear up John Farrell.  He was born on 19 July 1875 to parents John Farrell (plumber) and Eliza Ferguson, the address was 3 Antrim Street, GRONI online has the civil record of birth. Parents John Farrell senior and Eliza Ferguson got married on 4 October 1869 in Belfast, his father was also John Farrell, hers was John Ferguson, GRONI online has the civil record of marriage.

Further to my previous post I can also clear up Frances Johnston.  She was born on 11 August 1876 to parents Henry Johnston (cabinet maker) and Eliza Tumelty, GRONI online has the civil record of birth (it shows her mother's maiden name as Tumbelty, another  spelling variation I've seen is Tumilty).  Parents Henry Johnston and Eliza Tumelty got married on 17 April 1865 in St. Anne's CoI Belfast, his father was James Johnston, hers was John Tumelty, GRONI online has the civil record of marriage.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

melsi_d

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »
CMcG thank you thank you! This information is wonderful, are you related to this branch of my family or just really good at finding records? lol

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »
Just fortunate in this case that there was a John Farrell born around the right year whose father was called John and was a plumber (not that common a combination) and a Frances Johnston likewise born around the right year whose father was called Henry and was a cabinet maker (again, not that common a combination).  :)

Had they been labourers, that would have been more problematic.

melsi_d

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »
Can I ask where you all find your information please? I'm just a beginner and am using ancestry.com and emerald ancestors and have come across some records but not with as much detail. I'm also stuck on another branch, Daniel Wilmot/Wilmont who married Rachel Johnston in 1896 in Coleraine.