Author Topic: marriage John Farrell Frances Johnston Trinity Church Shankill  (Read 4741 times)

CMcG

Re: marriage John Farrell Frances Johnston Trinity Church Shankill
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:21 AM »
Usually a combination of sites, eg. Emerald and AncestryIreland for Antrim / Down records. For these folk (and allowing for some loose transcription over the names David/Daniel and Wilmont/Wilmot/Wilmott):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Lilliput_Street/958739/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Duncairn/Lilliput_Street/141274/

... the fathers of bride and groom were Robert Johnston and William Wilmont respectively. 

That, together with approximate age and birth location from the census records indicates a possibility that Daniel Wilmont was born on 21 November 1872 to William Wilmont and Mary Ann Colgan, GRONI online has the civil birth record under "Wilmot, registered Ballymoney.  William Wilmont and Mary Ann Colgan married in Coleraine on 31 May 1861, his father was William Wilmont, hers was Patrick Colgan, GRONI online has the civil marriage record.

The story with Rachel Johnston isn't so easy, there is one born in 1871, but the father and location aren't right. Will keep looking.

melsi_d

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »
I have hit a brick wall with rachel johnston. I remembered nan saying she may have had family along the Jordanstown road as my granda went there after their house was bombed in the blitz. but I can't find any info to prove this especially not knowing her families names. you've been a great help though thank you

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 05:13:27 AM »
Although Rachel's address at the time of her 1896 marriage is given as Billy parish in the far NW of County Antrim, both the 1901 and 1911 census returns indicate County Derry as her birthplace, with the age in the two returns varying as 1871 and 1865 respectively. Father Robert is described in the 1896 marriage record as a labourer.

Based on that, the closest potential marriages for parents are Robert Johnston and:

1. Annie Elliott in St. Patrick's CoI, Coleraine in 1859
2. Mary Cochrane in Dunboe 2nd Presbyterian in 1861
3. Mary Ann White in New Row Presbyterian, Coleraine in 1862
4. Martha Jane McNerlin in Dunboe CoI in 1866

All far north in County Londonderry and just a few miles west of Billy parish in County Antrim.

Annie Elliott's husband Robert Johnston was a police constable.
Mary Cochrane's husband Robert Johnston was a farmer.
Mary Ann White's husband Robert Johnston was a draper.
Martha Jane McNerlin's husband Robert Johnston was a schoolteacher.

On occupation, Robert Johnston and Mary Cochrane are the closest fit.  Amongst their children, GRONI online has an unnamed female born 25 March 1865, registered Coleraine.

Pretty flimsy, but that would be my best guess for the moment until something else emerges.   

melsi_d

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »
Hmm interesting. I know from research my Wilmot/wilmont family came from Bushmills so Rachel may have already been living there for some reason (I found a site which said bushmills in in the Billy parish) I've been able to find the Johnston/Cochrane family tree on Ancestry where they have unnamed johnston, all the family seems to have been born & live in Articlave, Londonderry. Not knowing NI does this fit into the Coleraine birth?

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »

... I've been able to find the Johnston/Cochrane family tree on Ancestry where they have unnamed johnston, all the family seems to have been born & live in Articlave, Londonderry. Not knowing NI does this fit into the Coleraine birth?

Yes, the children were born there, Articlave is a village a few miles west of Coleraine, also a townland (or rather, 2 townlands, Upper and Lower), all within the civil parish of Dunboe.  When Robert Johnston married Mary Cochrane, he was from the townland of Gortycavan, she was from one of the "Blakes" townlands (Upper or Lower), all of these again in the civil parish of Dunboe.  This county map shows Dunboe civil parish:

http://billmacafee.com/derryancestors/mapbaroniesparishescoderry.htm

However, it remains a fact that Johnston is a common name, so the Robert Johnston - Mary Cochrane possibility needs to be noted in that context.

melsi_d

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 05:46:53 AM »
CMcG were you able to tell who Roberts father was on their marriage registry? The latest information I have from family is that Rachel's father owner a farm /was a farmer and was well to do. I'm assuming they had money, as the story goes that Rachel married one of the farm hands (Daniel Wilmont your info is correct this is their marriage) and I can only assume this is why they were married in his parish as she was disowned by her family. She was definitely born in Londonderry the county & her son & family stayed with her family through Marriage the Rankins in Jordanstown  when their hpuse was bombed in the blitz then in Coleraine where my great uncle Harold Wilmont was born in 1941.

CMcG

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »

CMcG were you able to tell who Roberts father was on their marriage registry?

If you mean the marriage of Robert Johnston to Mary Cochrane in 1861, his father was William Johnston, no occupation stated, one of the witnesses was a Henry Johnston.

NicoleFarrell

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »
Hiya, henriettas brother Joseph was my grandas fathers. I have a photo of the family together. My grandas spoke about henrietta often, and thought I looked like her. Nicole

Parker-Rules

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
Oscilla Rules is my 2nd great aunt so i have some information on the Rules side if you want it x

melsi_d

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 11:14:12 PM »
Hi Parker-Rules sorry its been so long. I'm sorry but I'm not sure where Oscilla Rules fits in but I'd love to hear anything you know about the family. Thanks Mel

scotty169

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »
anyone help trying to find any info on andrew graham  and eliza dunlop born 1804 and 1805