Author Topic: John Colrain book  (Read 6549 times)

hungry homer

John Colrain book
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
Just finished reading a book about John Colrain, the ex Celtic player who became player-manager of Glentoran in 1966.

A great read and an absolute disgrace the way that the board at the oval treated the big man.

I remember Alex Young taking his place in the autumn of 1968, staying a couple of months and clearing off, complaining about the state of pitches here, while laughing all the way to the bank.

Interestingly Glentoran have never won back to back league titles since Colrain left them.

breenbox

Re: John Colrain book
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
Hungry Homer

A good friend of mine followed Glentoran around that time and still bangs on about that John Colrain team.
Could you provide me with the title of the book and the author please.

Regards

Breenbox
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

hungry homer

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
Breenbox,

the book is called "John Colrain A Life in Football" and the author is Philip Stevenson.

breenbox

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Hungry Homer 

Many Thanks   O0

Sid N Ham

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Would love to read this book. Where can I get a copy?

hungry homer

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
I'm sure Eason's would have it.

Failing that if you log on to the Glentoran website you might find it there. I think Philip Stevenson has something to do with the Glens.

breenbox

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
Yep it can be purchased through the 'Glentoran Gazette' web site. Price is £13.50 (incls post/pack}.
Proceeds are being donated to the British Heart Foundation in memory of John Colerain.

Breenbox

Sid N Ham

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
Thanks for your help. I am a Glens supporter now living in Scotland so was experiencing some problems tracking a source for this item.

Timmo

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »
I remember that Glentoran team they were a really good outfit. I think they went on to be called Vancouver Whitecaps for some tournament in Canada and did well.
Before you laugh at someone else, have a look in the mirror.

hungry homer

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 10:03:46 PM »
Glentoran played as the "Detroit Cougars" and I think the beat Aberdeen and a team from Uruguay and drew with Cagliari who had Luigi riva and Angelo Domenghini in their ieam and both of them played in the Italian team which won the european Championship in 1968 and were runners up in the 1970 world cup.

Timmo

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »
Glentoran played as the "Detroit Cougars" and I think the beat Aberdeen and a team from Uruguay and drew with Cagliari who had Luigi riva and Angelo Domenghini in their ieam and both of them played in the Italian team which won the european Championship in 1968 and were runners up in the 1970 world cup.

Yes I stand corrected. Two players in particular I liked were Eric Ross and John Kennedy. Top class.

Detroit Cougars In 1967 Glentoran FC represented the City of Detroit as an attempt was made to introduce soccer to North America. The ‘Detroit Cougars’ squad was made up of 18 players; 14 from Glentoran and 4 guests.
 Detroit Cougars  1. John Kennedy (GK)
1. Sam Kydd (GK)
2. Harry Creighton
3. Billy McKeag
4. Roy Borne
10. Tommy Jackson
11. Billy McCullough
12. Walter Bruce
14. Arthur Stewart
15. Billy Sinclair
20. Trevor Thompson
21. Jim Weatherup
22. John Colrain (player-manager)
23. Alan McNeill
24. Eric Ross
25. Danny Trainor
30. Johnny Johnston
32. Tommy Morrow

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 10:59:02 PM »
Might have been a good team but did they win 7 trophies in one season.
I hear H&W welders are pushing hard to be the top football team in East Belfast this season  :D

Timmo

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »
Might have been a good team but did they win 7 trophies in one season.
I hear H&W welders are pushing hard to be the top football team in East Belfast this season  :D

Hi I see what you did there. But sadly for you I'm not a Glentoran supporter but I'm sure there are a few on the site that might take you up on the comment. I'm actually a Rugby fan. The game where real guys and gals don't fall down when a puff of wind blows hard. Good luck. ;) :D

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:08 AM »
Hi I see what you did there. But sadly for you I'm not a Glentoran supporter but I'm sure there are a few on the site that might take you up on the comment. I'm actually a Rugby fan. The game where real guys and gals don't fall down when a puff of wind blows hard. Good luck. ;) :D
Don,t doubt a puff of wind blows them over but the financial compensation they get for doing so will soften the blow.
Money is ruining the game

Timmo

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
Don,t doubt a puff of wind blows them over but the financial compensation they get for doing so will soften the blow.
Money is ruining the game

Would have to agree 100% with that. ;)