Author Topic: Hanna Family Eliza Street Belfast  (Read 2635 times)

Budore

Hanna Family Eliza Street Belfast
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »

I am looking for more information on the Hanna family that lived at 5 Eliza Street Belfast.

Samuel Hanna's ran a grocery business from these premises with his wife Mary Ann (nee McCarthy). They had eight children, Patrick (B. c.1883), Robert (B. c.1887), Sophia {Dolly} (B. c.1889 - D.1929), Jane (B. c.1891), Mary Ann (B. c.1893), Maria (B. c.1895), Samuel (B. c.1897 D.1916) and Joseph (B. c.1899).

What I know so far is: - in 1916, Samuel Jnr. fought and died in the Great War.
Patrick married (1905) a girl called Sarah, had at least three children and they all lived for a short time on the Newtownards Road. The three childrenís names are Margaret (B. c.1906), Kathleen (B. c.1908) and Patrick John (B. c.1911). It is possible that there were more children to this marriage but I have been unable to clarify that at the moment.
Robert married (1910) a girl from Donegal called Teresa and they lived in Henrietta Street for a while before disappearing. Yet, I do not know of any children to this marriage.
Sophia married (1907) a boy from Donegal called Anthony McHugh (B.1888 - D.1965) and they too lived on the Newtownards Road. They had seven children named James (B.1909 -D.1965), Terrance (B.1921), Margaret (B.1929), Mary (B.?), Samuel (B.?), Jean (B.? - D.1982) and Bridget (B.?) of which I know some of their histories.

Samuel Snr. appears to have run the grocery shop until 1936 when the Belfast Street Directory indicates that Miss Jane Hanna took over the business. I surmise that Samuel died, as he would have been in his mid-70ís. Jane remained at the shop until 1942 when the business transferred to Joseph, listed in BSD there until 1945.

I have no idea what happened to Mary Ann and Maria - I have no information at all. I would like to know what became all of these children and their family(s). I would imagine, although uncertain, that there are still some of this Hanna family still living, perhaps in Belfast. I do know some about Anthonyís children, as their offspring's relatives are still living in Belfast. Unfortunately, they do not know enough about the Hanna family for my search.

There are many blanks to fill and I am hoping that someone on this forum can throw some light on history of the Hanna family.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would gratefully appreciate any help.

B

CMcG

Re: Hanna Family Eliza Street Belfast
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »
Budore, a Mary Hanna of 5 Eliza Street married plumber James Murphy of 26 Chamberlain Street in St. Malachy's on 13 October 1913, Mary's father Samuel was described as a butcher. This is James Murphy in 1911, albeit described as a sheet metal worker:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Chamberlain_Street/220546/

GRONI online has births over 100 years old, I noticed the following Belfast-registered Murphy births with mother's maiden name Hanna:

- Cecilia Murphy born 26 November 1913 (fits the forename pattern on the Murphy side, maybe a wee early baby?);
- James Murphy born 5 March 1915.

Just possibilities for you to look at.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »

Samuel Snr. appears to have run the grocery shop until 1936 when the Belfast Street Directory indicates that Miss Jane Hanna took over the business. I surmise that Samuel died, as he would have been in his mid-70ís. Jane remained at the shop until 1942 when the business transferred to Joseph, listed in BSD there until 1945.

From the PRONI website wills calendar:

Hanna Mary Ann of 5 Eliza Street Belfast widow died 24 March 1928 at The Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Probate Belfast 24 May to Jane Hanna spinster. Effects £85.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/willsSearch.aspx

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »

Robert married (1910) a girl from Donegal called Teresa and they lived in Henrietta Street for a while before disappearing. Yet, I do not know of any children to this marriage.

Robert Hanna of 5 Eliza Street married Teresa Cunningham on Christmas Day 1910.

Budore

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 02:46:43 AM »

Thank you CMcG. I had come to a virtual stop with getting information on the family. I would never have thought about searching the Wills & Probates for information.

Samuel may well have been a butcher as Patrick is listed in BSD as an 'Offal Agent' and his wife Sarah as an 'Offal seller', so I am not surprised that Samuel was in the meat business.

I hunted for Teresa's surname for a good while and came up with a few surnames but I could not qualify any of them. Cunningham was not one of the ones I found.

With this information I will be able to carry on looking further into the family for my missus - her grandfather was Anthony who married Sophia.

Again, thank you CMcG, I gratefully appreciate the information.

B

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 05:32:32 AM »

Patrick married (1905) a girl called Sarah, had at least three children and they all lived for a short time on the Newtownards Road. The three childrenís names are Margaret (B. c.1906), Kathleen (B. c.1908) and Patrick John (B. c.1911). It is possible that there were more children to this marriage but I have been unable to clarify that at the moment.

It looks like he married a Sarah Crean / Crane in St. Malachy's on 27 Jan 1905, I can see what are likely to be a couple of later children,  Samuel Hanna born 1916 and Ann Hanna born 1918.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 06:08:08 AM »

... and Joseph (B. c.1899).

Joseph Hanna (ie. Joseph Edward Hanna born 11 June 1898) went on to marry Sarah Mooney in 1921 in St. Matthews.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:08:36 AM »

It looks like he married a Sarah Crean / Crane in St. Malachy's on 27 Jan 1905, I can see what are likely to be a couple of later children,  Samuel Hanna born 1916 and Ann Hanna born 1918.

GRONI online has a number of potential birth records for children of Patrick Hanna and Sarah Crean/Crane, the problem is, without accessing the records (£2 each for a "full" view"), it's possible that they are children to a different Hanna and Crean/Crane couple.

Anyway, there are:

- Mary Hanna, born 20 Feb 1906, mother's maiden name Crane;
- Catherine Hanna, born 9 Jun 1908, mother's maiden name Crean;
- Patrick Hanna, born 27 May 1910, mother's maiden name Crane;
- Sarah Hanna, born 14 Jun 1912, mother's maiden name Crean;
- Margaret Hanna, born 15 Sep 1914, mother's maiden name Crane.

All registered in Belfast district.

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
Likewise on GRONI online, there are a couple of Belfast birth registrations for children to a Hanna & Cunningham couple, they might be your couple Robert Hanna and Theresa Cunningham:

- James Hanna, born 25 March 1912, mother's maiden name Cunningham;
- Samuel Hanna, born 9 March 1914, mother's maiden name Cunningham.

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:24:31 AM »

What I know so far is: - in 1916, Samuel Jnr. fought and died in the Great War.

In addition to Samuel:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/63124/HANNA,%20S

... there also appears to be a son William who fought and died within a few months, must have been a grim time:

http://www.ballynafeighorangehall.co.uk/files/Eliza-Street-War-Dead.pdf

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/789057/HANNA,%20WILLIAM

Budore

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
In addition to Samuel:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/63124/HANNA,%20S

... there also appears to be a son William who fought and died within a few months, must have been a grim time:

http://www.ballynafeighorangehall.co.uk/files/Eliza-Street-War-Dead.pdf

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/789057/HANNA,%20WILLIAM

I have queried family and examined official records about this William Hanna and I do not believe that he is related to Samuel Hanna Snr. from Eliza Street.

William, service number 7199, died on 16 July 1916; the CWGC does not list his age or where in Belfast he lived.  Ballynafeigh Orange seem to think that he was related but I cannot find any link to my Hanna family nor Eliza Street. The other two names listed, Osborne and Curran, do have families with these names in Eliza Street.

B

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 04:21:26 AM »

... Ballynafeigh Orange seem to think that he was related but I cannot find any link to my Hanna family nor Eliza Street ...

Neither can I at this point, nor can I find a birth.

Phenaoconnell

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 06:21:36 PM »
Hello Budore,

I write in relation to a comment you made on the 11/5/2015....   itís a Long Shot but I think the Robert Hanna you refer to as follows, might be my grandfather...

[size=0px]Robert married (1910) a girl from Donegal called Teresa and they lived in Henrietta Street for a while before disappearing. Yet, I do not know of any children to this marriage[/size]
[size=0px]Would you happen to know what number house in Henrietta St Robert and Teresa lived at? [/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]However, if so he married a girl called Teresa Conaghan (not Cunningham) from Donegal.....and they had 5 children .  The information about Eliza st rings true. Robert was a butcher and died young after which my grandmother returned to her native Donegal town. [/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
It would be great to know if this is true but Iím not sure how we can verify it.     I am going o Belfast next week and will visit both Eloza and Henrietta St but donít expect to reveal anymore at this point.