Author Topic: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was  (Read 12634 times)

magillicudy stinks

Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:21:48 AM »
In Ardoyne I've played in it and swung of the monkey bars, but apparently it;s not Arydoyne it's the 'bone'.  Okay so whare is the bone and where does it start and end?  My uncle gave me an imaginary description by jumping over imaginary bones,  ;that's the bone this isn't'.  Okay I get it I'm a [censored].   20 odd years later on a job same question to some ardyonians.  What and where is the 'bone'   the bone is the bone!  yeah and?  okay smart ass you go up the stewartstown road and claim Lenadoon is Andersonstown, or Whiterock is the falls or turf lodge is Ballymurphy.

I asked a simple question I don't expect a smart ass response, not my fault if you feel so insecure about your own area. So can please somebody tell me what the bone is?

Sally Ann

Re: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:44:42 AM »
In Ardoyne I've played in it and swung of the monkey bars, but apparently it;s not Arydoyne it's the 'bone'.  Okay so whare is the bone and where does it start and end?  My uncle gave me an imaginary description by jumping over imaginary bones,  ;that's the bone this isn't'.  Okay I get it I'm a [censored].   20 odd years later on a job same question to some ardyonians.  What and where is the 'bone'   the bone is the bone!  yeah and?  okay smart ass you go up the stewartstown road and claim Lenadoon is Andersonstown, or Whiterock is the falls or turf lodge is Ballymurphy.

I asked a simple question I don't expect a smart ass response, not my fault if you feel so insecure about your own area. So can please somebody tell me what the bone is?

Hi magillycudy,   In short, and simple answer is, area circa Torrens & Oldpark Roads.

There's a section on here covering the same.

For further information, best person to speak to, or send a PM till, would be our PatsyAnn. 

Without a doubt, she is bye far the most knowledgeable person for the area you are enquiring about.
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

chi

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:12:35 AM »
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

road hog

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »
magiillacudy, Ive heard it reffered to as the bally bone. I know that bally means townland, the bone part may have been anglisized some where along the years. Hope you find out.
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

chi

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »
magiillacudy, Ive heard it reffered to as the bally bone. I know that bally means townland, the bone part may have been anglisized some where along the years. Hope you find out.

I always thought it
was named the bone
since it had been blitzed.
We played in the church
ruins that was a stones
throw from the Oldpark
picture house. A path lead
from the church ruins toward
the Beltex and there was a
swamp land between the
Beltex and the football pitch
in front/along side of Kingston St.
That waste land stretched up
toward the old canning factory
and back to the Oldpark road.
It was a dry dusty area and the
only  available "playground" for
kids in Ardoyne and that section
of the Oldpark area; were a card
board box/bike was a challenge
on the hills leading up from the
"football pitch" where the soccer
games were played  :)

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

magillicudy stinks

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:59:54 PM »
Thank you all so much special thanks to Chi, yes I remember the old gravel football pitch thats where the monkey bars where.  I haven't been there since 1970 something, maybe 1979.  Great times indeed.  I ate my first packet of space raiders up the bone hanging off the monkey bars. :-*

eros

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
MS,the "Bone". Is short for Marlybone ,like Carrick Hill shortened to the Hill and Short Strand shortened to the Strand
I believe there is a children's play park on the Oldpark road named Marylebone Park
Eros ;)
Lest we Forget

jmac

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
It was known as the "Marrow Bone" and it starts on the right hand side on Havanna st and runs over to the Oldpark at  Torrens and down as far as Rossapenna st.
the Bally bone got it's name because all the the streets were named aftrer NI towns starting with Bally IE: Ballymoney,Ballymena, Ballycarry, Ballyclare st.etc.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:52:05 PM »
It was known as the "Marrow Bone" and it starts on the right hand side on Havanna st and runs over to the Oldpark at  Torrens and down as far as Rossapenna st.
the Bally bone got it's name because all the the streets were named aftrer NI towns starting with Bally IE: Ballymoney,Ballymena, Ballycarry, Ballyclare st.etc.

O0 we called the field the skin fields
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

magillicudy stinks

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:31 PM »
Thank you all, I ended up thinking it must be a slaughter house for donkeys because I knew they slaughtered donkeys there, sorry supposedly slaughtered donkeys.  Marlyebone makes sense, like dunville park it;s named in honour of the person who paid for it. And 3 cheers for Belfast city council.  They've did a brillaint job on all of our parks.

smcgirr

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 02:22:21 AM »
Maybe some one was having me on   I asked that question to a guy a few years ago and his answer was that the encompassed area known as a the Bone was actually shaped like a bone :-\ :-\
By the time a man can read women like a book 

His library card has already expired.

doare.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11600.0
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

Fortwilliamchess

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
'Technically' Kingston St. was, and the houses there now are, in Sacred Heart parish.

But having lived in the Bone we regarded anywhere past where St. Gemma's school was built, including the swamp, the football pitch and Beltex Mill as being in Ardoyne. Our gang from the Bone had more than one 'fight' with lads from Ardoyne including some from Kingston St.

I once had an explanation from a priest regarding the origin of the Bone, he explained it was named after a well in the area known as Mary's Well - Mary the Good, Mary le Bon - think of Marylebone in London (but that was a church and a river). The name was corrupted to become Marrowbone and then shortened to the Bone.

Sally Ann

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »
'Technically' Kingston St. was, and the houses there now are, in Sacred Heart parish.

But having lived in the Bone we regarded anywhere past where St. Gemma's school was built, including the swamp, the football pitch and Beltex Mill as being in Ardoyne. Our gang from the Bone had more than one 'fight' with lads from Ardoyne including some from Kingston St.

I once had an explanation from a priest regarding the origin of the Bone, he explained it was named after a well in the area known as Mary's Well - Mary the Good, Mary le Bon - think of Marylebone in London (but that was a church and a river). The name was corrupted to become Marrowbone and then shortened to the Bone.

Fantastic information Fortwilliamchess!   O0

Never heard that, good to know and makes proper sense actually.  :-* 
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

citybus

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »
I suspect the Bone made a lot more sense as an area when there was a river between it and Ardoyne. Notice how there are no streets in between Etna Drive & Jamaica Street? That's where the River Farset was before they culverted it. Now with Ardoyne Avenue (which crosses the river) built only a few decades ago the two areas are merged and Ardoyne reaches all the way to the Oldpark Road.