Author Topic: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was  (Read 12632 times)

tboy

Re: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »
not really Ardoyne, more Glenard at Etna and Jamaica ;)

doare.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 05:28:43 AM »
'Technically' Kingston St. was, and the houses there now are, in Sacred Heart parish.

But having lived in the Bone we regarded anywhere past where St. Gemma's school was built, including the swamp, the football pitch and Beltex Mill as being in Ardoyne. Our gang from the Bone had more than one 'fight' with lads from Ardoyne including some from Kingston St.

I once had an explanation from a priest regarding the origin of the Bone, he explained it was named after a well in the area known as Mary's Well - Mary the Good, Mary le Bon - think of Marylebone in London (but that was a church and a river). The name was corrupted to become Marrowbone and then shortened to the Bone.
I suggested that connection a few years back on the BF, I was literally scorned...cant remember by whom, lol...it was a guess on my part, yet belfastians have a way of pulverizing names sometimes.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

Fortwilliamchess

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
Now with Ardoyne Avenue (which crosses the river) built only a few decades ago the two areas are merged and Ardoyne reaches all the way to the Oldpark Road.

I don't think the river crosses Ardoyne Avenue. I'm pretty sure it runs at the rear of Etna Drive and Jamaica Street, under the pitch of Holy Cross Boys and then down Flax Street; then onwards under Dunnes and down the back of Tennant Street.

The people who live around the Glenpark bar, close to the Oldpark Road, would definitely claim to be from the Bone.

tboy

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 07:31:34 PM »

I don't think the river crosses Ardoyne Avenue. I'm pretty sure it runs at the rear of Etna Drive and Jamaica Street, under the pitch of Holy Cross Boys and then down Flax Street; then onwards under Dunnes and down the back of Tennant Street.

The people who live around the Glenpark bar, close to the Oldpark Road, would definitely claim to be from the Bone.
No river at Ardoyne Avenue, unless the original avenue extended to the bottom of Butler Street where the dam was. ;)

citybus

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 12:15:02 PM »

I don't think the river crosses Ardoyne Avenue. I'm pretty sure it runs at the rear of Etna Drive and Jamaica Street, under the pitch of Holy Cross Boys and then down Flax Street; then onwards under Dunnes and down the back of Tennant Street..

You're probably right. But it highlights the trickiness of the geography. Ardoyne Avenue has Ardoyne in it's name but 90% of it, maybe all of it is in the Bone. It makes more sense if imagine the river being there. And I think Ardoyne Avenue is a post war thing, before that it was probably just a wee lane. So with it being built as a proper road and Ardilea & Glenview being developed with lots of housing it almost joins up seamlessley with Ardoyne.

But here's another head melter. What is the Lower Ardoyne and what's upper. As far as I know Brompton Park onwards is Upper, but the newspapers often say only Glenbryn is Upper Ardoyne.

Kateme

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
You're probably right. But it highlights the trickiness of the geography. Ardoyne Avenue has Ardoyne in it's name but 90% of it, maybe all of it is in the Bone. It makes more sense if imagine the river being there. And I think Ardoyne Avenue is a post war thing, before that it was probably just a wee lane. So with it being built as a proper road and Ardilea & Glenview being developed with lots of housing it almost joins up seamlessley with Ardoyne.

But here's another head melter. What is the Lower Ardoyne and what's upper. As far as I know Brompton Park onwards is Upper, but the newspapers often say only Glenbryn is Upper Ardoyne.
As far as I knew there was old Ardoyne and then Glenard (the new housing estate built somewhere in the 1930's.   There was the top of the Pad (Butler Street) and the bottom of the Pad.  I lived in Havana Street (which was considered Sacred Heart parish), but I went to Holy Cross Ardoyne.   My Granny lived in lower Butler Street, near Flax Street.  Confusing eh?   :D
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

tboy

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »
An old boyhood friend of  mine lived in Havanna  Street (1958) Billy Corbett. We were only 7 or 8 years old but the 'Bone Heights' was a great playground. ;)

Fortwilliamchess

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 11:01:04 PM »
An old boyhood friend of  mine lived in Havanna  Street (1958) Billy Corbett. We were only 7 or 8 years old but the 'Bone Heights' was a great playground. ;)
My friends and I had great fun playing around the spring that rose at the bottom of the 'Heights' or the Brickyard as we called it. When the travellers moved onto the area that was once the swamp their scrapyard of a load of old cars was another playground. We armed ourselves with spanners and removed a couple of bonnets and used them to slide down the hill - madness when I think back on it! Thankfully the worst injuries were skinned knees, nearly as bad as the guider races down Brompton Park!

m-cully

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 04:48:31 AM »
Hi Kateme.
I lived in Glenard, but my friends lived in Butler St. and Crumlin St. Did you know Angela O' Neill, Gemma Kerr Or Mary Gillespie? How about Margaret Power from Jamaica St.?
I lived in there from 1941 until I left for the US. in 1963.  Went to the Convent school then worked in the Beltex.

Kateme

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »
Hi Kateme.
I lived in Glenard, but my friends lived in Butler St. and Crumlin St. Did you know Angela O' Neill, Gemma Kerr Or Mary Gillespie? How about Margaret Power from Jamaica St.?
I lived in there from 1941 until I left for the US. in 1963.  Went to the Convent school then worked in the Beltex.
Can't remember them - I was born in 51 and left Belfast  in 1960. Didn't go to convent school - went to Holy Cross.  Did you know Christine McCotter?  she went to Convent School. Nice to meet you anyhow!!  :)  I had cousins who lived in Etna Drive and Duneden. O'Connors

Kateme

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »
Yes, for me too.  Used to slide down the Jubilee hills.  The carnival used to visit once in a while.  Loved it when they were there.   :)

m-cully

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »
Nice to meet you too Kateme. I do remember the name Mc Cotter. Did one of the girls die when she was a young woman? I believe she would have been my age.
I have the street directory for Duneden in 1963, and there were no O' Connors living there at that time. Did they live there after 63?
I still write to the Bertoias from Duneden, Jean Mc Lean from Strathroy Park, Maura Mc Keown from Duneden and until she passed, Eileen Mc Guigan from Brompton.
They live in Canada, Australia and Florida. I live between Washinton DC. and Baltimore. Looking forward to the Popes arrival today.

Kateme

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »
Nice to meet you too Kateme. I do remember the name Mc Cotter. Did one of the girls die when she was a young woman? I believe she would have been my age.
I have the street directory for Duneden in 1963, and there were no O' Connors living there at that time. Did they live there after 63?
I still write to the Bertoias from Duneden, Jean Mc Lean from Strathroy Park, Maura Mc Keown from Duneden and until she passed, Eileen Mc Guigan from Brompton.
They live in Canada, Australia and Florida. I live between Washinton DC. and Baltimore. Looking forward to the Popes arrival today.
Re McCotter:  Yes, that would be Morna McCotter.  She had some kind of embolism in her brain.  Had a really bad headache and died in her house in Brae Hill. She left two little girls.  The two little girls were raised by Morna's mother, Mary Maguire McCotter, and Christine McCotter (my friend).  There was another sister, Isobel, and a little brother, Noel.

It was probably after 1963.  I had a great Aunt who lived in Duneden too - her name was Jane Davey. Probably also after 1963.  Wow, you must be excited - will you be anywhere near the Pope?  I live on Long Island. The Pope is due to be here in NYC on Thursday, I think.   :)

chi

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »

Was Eileen McGuigan a twin?

Live TV is on and Pope Francis
 has just stepped off his jet and is
Welcomed by Obama & his family. :)
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

m-cully

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 11:50:12 PM »
Morna Mc Cotter, that's right. I believe we were in the same class at school. How very sad that she died so young.
I checked my Street Directory and you are right, Jane Davey was not there in 63. I believe Marie Magill, another girl from my class, and her family, have lived in the house I grew up in, since my brother John and his family left for England in the 70's.
Yes Chi. Chris was Eileen's twin. There was an older sister, Elsie and a brother John too.
I too watched the Pope arrive this afternoon. Could have got tickets for the mass at the shrine tomorrow, but there will be no parking or access to bathrooms near the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, where the mass is being said.
Thought I would watch at home instead. Some of our church choir members are singing there tomorrow. Will be looking out for them. Weather should be perfect, and the shrine is beautiful.