Author Topic: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was  (Read 12633 times)

Kateme

Re: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 12:47:04 AM »
Morna Mc Cotter, that's right. I believe we were in the same class at school. How very sad that she died so young.
I checked my Street Directory and you are right, Jane Davey was not there in 63. I believe Marie Magill, another girl from my class, and her family, have lived in the house I grew up in, since my brother John and his family left for England in the 70's.
Yes Chi. Chris was Eileen's twin. There was an older sister, Elsie and a brother John too.
I too watched the Pope arrive this afternoon. Could have got tickets for the mass at the shrine tomorrow, but there will be no parking or access to bathrooms near the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, where the mass is being said.
Thought I would watch at home instead. Some of our church choir members are singing there tomorrow. Will be looking out for them. Weather should be perfect, and the shrine is beautiful.
Hope you get to see him.  I've been to the shrine many years ago - it IS beautiful. Have a wonderful day tomorrow!  :-*

“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

Mick A Lean

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 01:51:27 AM »
My memory of the bone is you entered it via Flex St. On Sunday morning there was a large two up school, order was kept by a fellow called (Nailer Clark.)
Keep smiling

tboy

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
My memory of the bone is you entered it via Flex St. On Sunday morning there was a large two up school, order was kept by a fellow called (Nailer Clark.)
  Mick you must be well up in years to remember the 'Nailer'  . Same as meself. ;)

arder lavery

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
  Mick you must be well up in years to remember the 'Nailer'  . Same as meself. ;)
nailer was my best mates da. (cleaky)
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Mick A Lean

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »
Well and truly up in years. I played football for my school. When we played against Holly Cross, we played on the pitch in the bone. There was no grass, just cinders. We would come off the ground with blood all over our knees.   Memories!.
Mick. 
Keep smiling

arder lavery

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »
Well and truly up in years. I played football for my school. When we played against Holly Cross, we played on the pitch in the bone. There was no grass, just cinders. We would come off the ground with blood all over our knees.   Memories!.
Mick.
then you would remember hammering your studs into your boots before the game ?

tboy

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:17 PM »
on a different level (amatuer league) there was great match's on the cinder pitch Flax Street  and good crowds watching the action.  ;)

Mick A Lean

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
then you would remember hammering your studs into your boots before the game ?
  Yes I do.  The hardest part was to be able to buy the boots in the first place.!
Keep smiling

arder lavery

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
  Yes I do.  The hardest part was to be able to buy the boots in the first place.!
half our team used mutton dummies

chi

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
half our team used mutton dummies

Brave folks playing football wearing
mutton dummies O0

We wore mutton dummies on stage,
at times you could see a white puff
of cloud (from the whiting on them)
as you'd walk across the stage :D

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Alliance

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
An area in the Oldpark, from the brickyard crossing over Ardilea street through the entry into the bottom of Gracehill St past Mayfair, Park view and Glenview streets to Sacred Heart school aka St  Columbans. Many memories of years spent at the school.

tboy

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »
An area in the Oldpark, from the brickyard crossing over Ardilea street through the entry into the bottom of Gracehill St past Mayfair, Park view and Glenview streets to Sacred Heart school aka St  Columbans. Many memories of years spent at the school.
Nice description of a unique area ;) Good luck, tboy.

blackkettel

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »
There is a book around called 100 years history of the bone and it`s people by Mr A Beattie with some great phots and stories in it. .on another subject had Maureen Ryan not got a bacon slicer in her shop?. :)

Alliance

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 10:04:34 AM »
Vividly remember walking to school down Jamaica St with the river running behind its houses and those of Etna Dr. About halfway down on the left crossing over a bit of waste ground through the entry into Havana St and sometimes stopping at the shop facing to buy a few sweets. Ahead lay the open space of the brickyard with its uneven cinder pitch, the hill to the left where people would sit to watch the matches, the swamp in front of the Beltex and straight ahead the slope with its bubbling springs. At the top of the slope more waste ground where St Gemma's would be built, the bakery to the left where as school kids we would buy 1d worth of clippings. Crossing over Ardilea St, I could almost see my aunt Clare's house at the bottom on the left opposite the Mc Glades family home. Down the entry on the left, a quick right turn into the bottom of Gracehill St with the Parochial Hall near the top on the left. This was where we had classes with the partitions folded back and the stage it hosted many school concerts. To the far end of the hall we had the old toilets on the ground floor and the stone steps right up to the billiard hall at the very top.
Making my way past Mayfair, Parkview streets I would see Donnellys shop with entry to the school on its left. To the right was Rock's pub and beyond, the Feely wall which as kids we would climb knowing that we were not allowed to. Turning left into Glenview St and the red bricked school opposite where the teachers were awaiting: Mr O Gorman, Mr Farnan,[size=78%] Mr Armstrong, Miss MC Cann, Learning the Catechism answers around the teacher's table. Almost opposite the main entrance to the school was number 19 where my granny lived. We would take a basin of skins across to Felix Dohertys get a penny for our troubles and immediately spend it in Mary Anne's who had a makeshift shop in her house, 4 caramels.for the penny. My aunt Jean lived in number 1 next to the chapel. Little did I think years later that I would return as a student teacher.[/size]

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
Lovely post Alliance. .thank you :)
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.