Author Topic: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was  (Read 12635 times)

chi

Re: Can somebody please tell me what the bone is or was
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Vividly remember walking to school down Jamaica St with the river running behind its houses and those of Etna Dr. About halfway down on the left crossing over a bit of waste ground through the entry into Havana St and sometimes stopping at the shop facing to buy a few sweets. Ahead lay the open space of the brickyard with its uneven cinder pitch, the hill to the left where people would sit to watch the matches, the swamp in front of the Beltex and straight ahead the slope with its bubbling springs. At the top of the slope more waste ground where St Gemma's would be built, the bakery to the left where as school kids we would buy 1d worth of clippings. Crossing over Ardilea St, I could almost see my aunt Clare's house at the bottom on the left opposite the Mc Glades family home. Down the entry on the left, a quick right turn into the bottom of Gracehill St with the Parochial Hall near the top on the left. This was where we had classes with the partitions folded back and the stage it hosted many school concerts. To the far end of the hall we had the old toilets on the ground floor and the stone steps right up to the billiard hall at the very top.
Making my way past Mayfair, Parkview streets I would see Donnellys shop with entry to the school on its left. To the right was Rock's pub and beyond, the Feely wall which as kids we would climb knowing that we were not allowed to. Turning left into Glenview St and the red bricked school opposite where the teachers were awaiting: Mr O Gorman, Mr Farnan,[size=78%] Mr Armstrong, Miss MC Cann, Learning the Catechism answers around the teacher's table. Almost opposite the main entrance to the school was number 19 where my granny lived. We would take a basin of skins across to Felix Dohertys get a penny for our troubles and immediately spend it in Mary Anne's who had a makeshift shop in her house, 4 caramels.for the penny. My aunt Jean lived in number 1 next to the chapel. Little did I think years later that I would return as a student teacher.[/size]

Nice description :read:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Alliance

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments about my posts. Very easy to write about an area so full of character. Memorable people, humourous stories, an area with real shops and assistants with unique personalities working in them.

chi

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments about my posts. Very easy to write about an area so full of character. Memorable people, humourous stories, an area with real shops and assistants with unique personalities working in them.

My older sisters had friends 
near the sacred heart area
in the bone.

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

tboy

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2015, 07:38:46 PM »

My older sisters had friends 
near the sacred heart area
in the bone.
  Oh , and what was there names? we might have met and I don't mean to be ficitious.

chi

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
  Oh , and what was there names? we might have met and I don't mean to be ficitious.

:D  they were a happy bunch
Margaret. Mary, Kathleen, Josie,
Maura, :-*

tboy

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2015, 09:15:28 PM »

:D  they were a happy bunch
Margaret. Mary, Kathleen, Josie,
Maura, :-*
Yes they certantly sound like a group of kids that  would brighten up the place :-*

ennkay

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
Hi there, My favourite schoolteacher was Mr. O'Gorman , a man who respected all his pupils and taught everything from history to PE in the school yard.At Christmas the first four in the class were taken to a party in his mother's house, where  she gave us the most magnificent cakes and buns, a rare treat in those days. By the way, the river at Flax Street was 'THE ROSE', not the Farset, hence ROSEBANK'.   Like the articles .

chi

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
Yes they certantly sound like a group of kids that  would brighten up the place :-*

Good company and always took
care of wee brothers & sisters :) :-*

glenb

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »
The river was the "Rosehead"

Patsy-Ann

We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

tboy

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/the-lost-river-that-gave-belfast-its-name-29511371.html

Does this help re the river?
Patsy _Ann, whoever wrote this would know more about a fish supper  or has spent too much time in the 'Happy Choice'  :D

JimOwens

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »

The Bone area on the Oldpark Road apparently had a Huguenot barn that lasted until the 60s. Can't remember seeing it myself.

The name of the area is a contraction of Marrowbone which comes from Marie La Bonne. The story is that there was a holy well (maybe 2) that was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. Marie la Bonne was the name the newcomers gave to it. During redevelopment of the area in the 80s the well was discovered at the back of Glenview Street close to where the old St Colmban's School (which I went to) used to stand. Shirley McMichael