Author Topic: remembering wee mcdonnell street  (Read 1575 times)

Des marley

remembering wee mcdonnell street
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
Does anybody remember Dessie marley who lived close to and worked in fuscos chippie??

briggs

Re: remembering wee mcdonnell street
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
Hi Des,  my name is Joe McBride and I remember you well.  We lived at 139 McDonnell street a few doors from you. I know this post is old but still see you are still active. I live in Bangor now with my wife Angela. My memories of you are very fond. You may not remember this but you once took our dog Prince for a walk and lost it only for it to find its own way home.

My mum was Annie McBride and my dad Vincent.  My sisters Geraldine. Margaret and Vera live in Bangor and my eldest sister Maire in Newcastle West near Limerick.

Regards

Joe

sj

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:49:23 AM »
Hi Des,  my name is Joe McBride and I remember you well.  We lived at 139 McDonnell street a few doors from you. I know this post is old but still see you are still active. I live in Bangor now with my wife Angela. My memories of you are very fond. You may not remember this but you once took our dog Prince for a walk and lost it only for it to find its own way home.

My mum was Annie McBride and my dad Vincent.  My sisters Geraldine. Margaret and Vera live in Bangor and my eldest sister Maire in Newcastle West near Limerick.

Regards

Joe

Hello Joe,
Was there a shoe repairers shop on mc Donnell St that you can remember.  My mother's maiden name was Caulfield and the shop was owned by her cousins who arrived from Ballymena in 1920's .  Think that the shop closed in early 60's. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Falls

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 10:39:37 PM »
I remember wee McDonnell Street and the shoe repairers shop beside Fusco's.I was in the same class as Joe McBride.Other neighbour's Jackie Kennedy and Gerard Nelson were also in the same class.Maurice McCusker recently departed was also an old slate street pupil.Mulligan,Gordon,O'Hara,Magee,Slattery,Mussen,Kerr and Miss Savage.Oh just remembered George Burns and Mr.Hugh Murtagh the headmaster!!

briggs

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 04:50:43 PM »
Shoe repairers shop was run by Jimmy Caulfield. It was next door to Fuscos chip shop. Jimmy's brother also had a shoe repair shop in Abbey Street  in Bangor.  I remember the McDonnell Street shop very well. I have a vague memory of when shop closed in the sixties due to Jimmy's poor health.  I had school shoes soled and heeled on numerous occasions and left in lots of family shoes for repair.  Typical though I seem to remember to be told to call back next week etc as shoes were never ready when indicated.  Bit like the old two Ronnies joke about the prisoner released from jail after 20 years who finds a shoe repair ticket in the pocket of the suit he last wore before jail.  When he turns up at the shop to collect them he is asked to come back the following  Tuesday as they are not ready.

briggs

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
Slate Street school brings back many memories.  Sorry to hear about Maurice McCusker's passing, I remember his blonde hair with a cows lick as they used to call it. Still think about those days with fondness.

sj

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 01:32:57 AM »
Shoe repairers shop was run by Jimmy Caulfield. It was next door to Fuscos chip shop. Jimmy's brother also had a shoe repair shop in Abbey Street  in Bangor.  I remember the McDonnell Street shop very well. I have a vague memory of when shop closed in the sixties due to Jimmy's poor health.  I had school shoes soled and heeled on numerous occasions and left in lots of family shoes for repair.  Typical though I seem to remember to be told to call back next week etc as shoes were never ready when indicated.  Bit like the old two Ronnies joke about the prisoner released from jail after 20 years who finds a shoe repair ticket in the pocket of the suit he last wore before jail.  When he turns up at the shop to collect them he is asked to come back the following  Tuesday as they are not ready.

Briggs many thanks .  Jimmy and his brother Hugh were cousins of my mother.  Their father came from outside Ballymena.    A little bit of history for you and other people on this thread is that Jimmy's father and uncle ( my grandfather ) came to Belfast when the company of bootmakers that they worked for lost the contract to make boots for the R.I.C. at the partition of Ireland.  They opened shoerepairer shops in North Belfast, West Belfast & Bangor ( he was a cousin of Jimmy's ).  Jimmy's home was on the Antrim Road opposite the old Capitol cinema.   Thank you for your help as I am trying to find out when he died as I can't find his grave in Milltown.  His father is buried there and I can find it by using the internet. Thanks, :)

Falls

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 07:13:28 AM »
I remember leaving a pair of Chelsea boots ( yeah I know a pair) to get 'sorted' around the early 70s.Went down to collect the boots but shop was closed.Pushed opened the door,went in and retrieved the boots.A soldier from a patrol came over asked what was going on,I explained the situation and walked on leaving one perplexed squaddie standing outside Fusco's.Could be wrong,but didFusco''s have an illuminated sign with an Eiffel tower symbol?

sj

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
I remember leaving a pair of Chelsea boots ( yeah I know a pair) to get 'sorted' around the early 70s.Went down to collect the boots but shop was closed.Pushed opened the door,went in and retrieved the boots.A soldier from a patrol came over asked what was going on,I explained the situation and walked on leaving one perplexed squaddie standing outside Fusco's.Could be wrong,but didFusco''s have an illuminated sign with an Eiffel tower symbol?

Hopefully you went back the next day and paid for them.... :D

briggs

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:42:57 PM »
Yes think Fusco's alternative name was The Eiffel Tower Cafe. Very trendy in those days but alas no accordion music ambience or can can dancing. Although it did have an obvious definite Italian flavour. Talk was  the family had somewhere with orange groves in Italy to travel back to.  I remember Angelo and Carlo and Rosanna and the youngest daughter Maria who was friendly with my sister Vera. Then there were local girls who the family married.  Mary and Sadie ring bells. Tony Fusco had a shop on the corner of Devonshire Street and Albert on the Falls. The chips and fish were superb and the service excellent with kids treated with great care and respect.  Carlo used to play for Distiillery FC and was great fiends with Ivan Martin of local radio fame whose mum had a newsagents shop across the road. Always remember Christmas time at Fuscos when kids had a few bob to spend / Can till taste the Knickerbocker Glory ice cream (big spoon involved).  Although A Victor Angelone's smokie on Divis Street gave it a good run for its money.

briggs

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:00:52 PM »
PS should have mentioned Phil Fusco the dad and his wife Mary I believe, originally from Dublin.  Phil had one of the only cars parked in wee McDonnell Street for quite some time. a big Humber Hawk. Loved that car.  Next car remembered was a humbler Austin owned by Jimmy McAuley in 143.

sj

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 06:40:29 AM »
PS should have mentioned Phil Fusco the dad and his wife Mary I believe, originally from Dublin.  Phil had one of the only cars parked in wee McDonnell Street for quite some time. a big Humber Hawk. Loved that car.  Next car remembered was a humbler Austin owned by Jimmy McAuley in 143.

Briggs...you have a great memory and you paint a wonderful pictuture of Mc Donnell St.  I just wanted to know if anyone remembered the shoerepairer.  Jimmy was a really nice quiet bloke . as I remember him.  His brother Hugh was a delightful person in the 50's but unfortunately he became ill.  Good luck and see you on the forum...Sam

briggs

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 01:41:54 PM »
Sam, Jimmy was a quiet man indeed. My memory of him was a man of average size with a swarthy complexion bit like the leather he worked with.  Tight short very dark waved hair similar to that of the old BBC newsreader Richard Baker (check pics online).  He always wore his shoe repair apron in shop but emerged at days end wearing an old dark beige belted trench coat as he locked up shop and headed down the Grosvenor Road.  I will ask my elder sisters if they have any other info regarding Jimmy and post when/if known.  Regards

Joe

Maymac

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »
Briggs you have an excellent memory but I have a few years on you and remember people bringing an empty bowl to Fuscos for hot peas and vinegar cost about sixpence in old money with bread and butter or margarine supper for a family would that be part of your 5 a day ? 

briggs

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »
Yes Maymac,  before my time and I bet you brought them back to 139 without sampling.